Australian Open 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the men's, I think Novak can be very happy with what he's drawn. None of the seeds in his section should cause him any trouble (considering the form Chardy is in), and he should be able to build a nice head of steam heading into the second week.

Nadal should also be able to run into some form provided he doesn't get rolled by Kohlschreiber again.
I am so happy with Nole's draw - its a very good one....I cant see him not making quaters at least

As for the fantiac bashing - at least they support the Aussies instead of sitting on their hands like a freeking opera and dont show anything unless a player pulls a shout out of their backside....ITS A SPORTING EVENT FFS

Defending champion Rafael Nadal and Dinara Safina will headline day one action at Australian Open 2010 with the bottom half of both the men’s and women’s draw scheduled to start on Monday 18 January.

You'd think Dokic/Kleybanova will most likely kick off the night session.

its the least appealing grand slams of the 4: despite london's horrid weather, wimbledon is my favourite tournament, maybe they should reschedule it to march or something when the weather in melbourne has not turned topsy turvy the other way - yet

its too hot to play tennis down there in january

its the least appealing grand slams of the 4: despite london's horrid weather, wimbledon is my favourite tournament, maybe they should reschedule it to march or something when the weather in melbourne has not turned topsy turvy the other way - yet

The weather adds another dimension that weeds out the softies and those who haven't prepared properly. It can be a brutal test that makes receiving the trophy at the end of the 2 weeks all that more rewarding. And the tournament aint moving to a non-school holiday period anyway...

I hope Davydenko loses ASAP, yes i am a hater
It's quite bizarre really... I used to despise the guy, was always happy to see him lose, but for some unexplainable logic defying reason I actually like the guy now! I actually hope he does well here. :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The weather adds another dimension that weeds out the softies and those who haven't prepared properly. It can be a brutal test that makes receiving the trophy at the end of the 2 weeks all that more rewarding. And the tournament aint moving to a non-school holiday period anyway...

Agreed, people like Monfils will never win an Aus Open :thumbsu:

How ****ing often does Hewitt get drawn in section 1? The last time he didn't was the 2008 US Open (probably because he didn't play). To find a draw he was in where he wasn't draw in the first section you have to go back to Roland Garros 2008. Quite unbelievable.

To be honest, it really is starting to piss me off. He's had the most ridicous draw, it is just so unlikely that you'll be put into that position so many times in a row. Mind you, he ended up getting Del Potro at Wimby which helped and then did have his chances against Roger at the US Open so we'll see. A possible 3rd round match with Baghdatis scares the crap out of me though.

You'd think Dokic/Kleybanova will most likely kick off the night session.

I'd imagine the first night session to be Dokic/Kleybanova and Nadal/Luczak I would have to think, might have to get home from the tennis a bit earlier on monday, or just sit and watch it in Graden Square.

Just a few other quick points on the draw (i'll do a better write-up on the weekend):

- Going through the men's draw, after seeing Tomic got a qualifier, immediately thought Peter got Nadal, click on the next page, yes, he has Nadal :rolleyes: Damn't that is a shame because he is playing the tennis of his life.
- Mixed bag for the aussie men, Ball got unlucky with Verdasco, if Kubler wins a game off Ljubicic I'd laugh but Matosevic and Tomic will be happy. Lindhal got a tough ask against Nieminen but I wouldn't be surprised if eh gave him a huge scare.
- Women would be very happy apart from Dokic, poor girl will most likely lose first round, same goes for Rogowska too. Dellacqua and Molik couldn't of hoped for a better chance of winning a match.
And last of all:

PLEASE DON'T DRAW WICKMAYER AGAINST SAM, I'M BEGGING YOU!

No really, I might smash something if that happened.

Have you seen the forecast for the first few days?

Monday : Scatted Showers, Windy - Max: 20
Tuesday : Shower or two - Max: 24
Wedensday: Shower or two clearing - Max: 25
Thursday: Sunny - Max: 27

They were actually prediciting thunderstorms earlier in the week but it's cleared up a bit. I'm looking forward to the cooler weather and even a rain delay, then my Hisenese ticket might become useful.

I give Peter a 0.000001% in getting a set imo :(

Nadal can play some scrappy tennis in his first round GS matches, remember a few years back when Alun Jones (a journeyman Aussie for anyone who doesn't know, now retired) played Nadal at the 1st round of the US Open and was actually a set all and up a break in the 3rd before losing in 4 tight sets. I actually give a shot for Luczak to win a set but no way in hell is he winning.

Roostersga4eva, don't give me any of that stranger things have happened bullcrap.

Although, I agree with you on the fanatics, it annoys me at the Australian Open when the Aussie supporters are softer than the support for opposition, it's embrassing.

I feel no sympathy for Hewitt being in that section of the draw because...

a) his ranking has slipped and he isn't and will never be a top rank player again

and more importantly,

b) he would get his arse handed to him by any of the top 4 ranked players in the world, so it makes no difference

b) he would get his arse handed to him by any of the top 4 ranked players in the world, so it makes no difference

Yes, because taking a set off Federer is getting your arse handed to you, or even beating Del Potro but anyway...

Nadal can play some scrappy tennis in his first round GS matches, remember a few years back when Alun Jones (a journeyman Aussie for anyone who doesn't know, now retired) played Nadal at the 1st round of the US Open and was actually a set all and up a break in the 3rd before losing in 4 tight sets. I actually give a shot for Luczak to win a set but no way in hell is he winning.

Roostersga4eva, don't give me any of that stranger things have happened bullcrap.

Although, I agree with you on the fanatics, it annoys me at the Australian Open when the Aussie supporters are softer than the support for opposition, it's embrassing.

Difference is Nadal always plays crap at the US Open... Only way I can see Luczac taking a set is through a tie break but it aint happening because Nadal is fit and in form atm

Matt Ebden just qualified, won his 3rd round qualy match against a Polish guy I've never heard of 7/5 6/2. Great work :thumbsu: Joe Sirianni up next.

John Millman got pasted in his final round match though, I think only managed 3 games for the match.

I love this site for live score updates.

http://www.livescores.com.au/tennis/

Stefan Koubek 9-7 win in the 3rd, wow, what a qualifying match, imagine how Ryan Sweeting feels.:)

Wow, there's an 11-9 3rd set match there too, crazy qualifiers.:eek:

Siriani 7-6, 5-2 down, doesnt look good.

Simon has pulled out with a knee injury so Ferrer moves up to his spot. Reckon Hewitt matches up against Ferrer much better than Simon should both make it that far.

Simon has pulled out with a knee injury so Ferrer moves up to his spot. Reckon Hewitt matches up against Ferrer much better than Simon should both make it that far.

Agree, although Hewitt has had his tough matches with Ferrer in the past. I'm expecting Baghdatis to beat Ferrer though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back