Australian white-ball tour of Scotland and England, September 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe cricket in future especially the white ball formats, most stadiums will have a retractable roof. The cricket grounds lose and boards lose too much money in the UK, by not having a full fixture.
Not sure if cricket will make enough money outside if India in the future to have expensive stadiums.

Not sure if cricket will make enough money outside if India in the future to have expensive stadiums.
Atherton covering the Headingley 2nd ODI in this series, said something along the lines of Yorkshire cricket club being almost broke, and that having a rained off match/not having a match this season, would have been a financial hit in the pocket. We live in a bit of a different age now. Compared to other sports, you have to appeal to a different demographic.

NFL, AFL, basketball, soccer, tennis continue on , irrespective of what happens outside. American Football have alot of indoor stadiums. Hence, why the AFL with the Tasmania new team, demanded a roof- given they know Tassie will most likely have alot of weather affected games. Peoples times are important, is basically what I interpret from that. People dont have the time to sit down and watch the rain fall. Not in todays age.

Wimbledon and French Open have roofs to cater 'marquee' matches when it rains.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's Autumn, when do you think it should rain?
It rains constantly though. Every test series is adversely affect by rain. Not that it typically matters, no one cares about playing away series against minnows.

Cricket at any time of the year in England is a gamble.

I lived in London for almost a decade and still could never stop laughing at "Quick it's 21c today and slightly cloudy, let's all take our shirts off and sit in Hyde Park".
I was at an early season county game at the Oval delayed by snowy sleet. I decamped to a nearby Fuller's pub and drank more ESP than was good for me.

Good to see England get a win to keep the series alive, it would have been a fizzer if the series was decided after just 3 matches.

Seriously sometimes living in Australia, we underestimate how good our weather is compared to England. Its a joke that it rains over there at this time of year. Summers in Perth and Sydney you get far , far less rain in late summer.........

It's not surprising that it is raining in England in late September, it isn't late summer there, it is well into autumn there now.

It still rains more in Sydney during summer than any England city apart from maybe Manchester, it hardly ever rains in Perth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Australian white-ball tour of Scotland and England, September 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back