England vs Sri Lanka 3 tests

Remove this Banner Ad

With all respect, Root has been able to do it over 144 tests. You're underestimating long term consistency. What was Williamsons issue with only making 100 tests?

Williamson only made 36.95 vs Australia, 36.85 vs England, and 37.86 vs India.

For Joe Root:

View attachment 2098358
That’s my point.
He has played 64 matches alone v India and Australia.

New Zealand barely get 3 test matches v England or Australia.

England gets 5 v India then Australia each in a two year period. That’s significant more cricket

For comparison, Williamson has only played 11 test matches v Australia, 16 v England and 13 v India. It’s a big difference.

Got to watch the highlights of a day of Test cricket that largely went by the book, both sides competed and Dhananjaya and Rathnayake took the fight with a token of defiance only to be cut down by Atkinson bowling to attacking fields.

Isa Guha was saying Rathnayake should be batting higher - well where do you put him among 7 other batsmen who are as good or better?

Looking forward to the next Test.

Got to watch the highlights of a day of Test cricket that largely went by the book, both sides competed and Dhananjaya and Rathnayake took the fight with a token of defiance only to be cut down by Atkinson bowling to attacking fields.

Isa Guha was saying Rathnayake should be batting higher - well where do you put him among 7 other batsmen who are as good or better?

Looking forward to the next Test.
Why does Kamindu Mendis bat so low? Early days of his career but 3x50s and 3x100s in 9 innings averaging 78, surely he can bat higher than 7?

A fighting rearguard from the Lankan lower order but my call of 250+ defeat wasn't really far off.

England looked in control pretty much all of the final day I thought. Their bowling and fields looked to trouble the batsmen consistently. A lot of streaky runs for the Lankans in that total.

Not sure where Sri-Lanka can really go from here tbh. They need some sort of generational bowling talent to pop up, preferably a quick.

Oh jeez we're fooked
"Hull, 20, is one of the most exciting young players on the county circuit, although his first-class record is modest with 16 wickets at 62.75."

Normally any Leics players going into the national setup would be cause for celebration but Hull (and Rehan Ahmed) have just got spanked for a double hundred by, er, Ben Charlesworth.

Only people who have been any good for us have been Handscomb and Rishi Patel, we have no bowlers and Hull is nowhere near div 2 county level right now. He's just in the mix because he's a tall left armer.

No idea why Sam Cook is still being ignored.
And Hull will be debuting for England tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Typical shit English weather ruining the cricket again.

ARe you from UK?

I'm not but some of my family are from there and I lived there for a while, I usually support England unless they play against NZ,

Pope is averaging 34 after 48 tests. That is not enough for a number 3 batsmen.
You want a guy at number 3 to be averaging upwards of 50 or beyond.

Bad light looks like it will end play early again, that's what you get for playing tests in London in September.

Just when de Silva and Kamindu Mendis were making a good recovery for Sri Lanka with a good partnership.

Let’s do positives and negatives from the first two days.

Positives: pope scoring a century at last
Duckett scoring freely up until about 80
Batters on both sides generating power with short range tucked-in shots. It’s nice to see this evolution of technique
Some brilliant fielding on both sides, particularly the catches taken, not least woakes to give homeboy Hull his first test wicket
Sri Lanka actually bowling to a plan and taking my comments on board, I hereby claim credit for dhananjayas two wickets
A gripping contest for much of the Sri Lankan innings. Nissanka played like he was worth a FC average of 60, and of course so did kamindu mendis.

Negatives:
England middle order bazballing on the second day when they needed to keep the head and support pope. Harry Brook seems incapable of playing a test match innings at the moment - if he’s not scoring runs quickly enough he gets frustrated and tries to smack bowlers about. His career will have a very Gary Ballance flavour unless he learns to play the ball on merit.
kusal mendis is a bunny
Popes captaincy in the field was quite try-hard, yes they got 5 down for less than 100 but 325 is not a huge total to defend. Worst was playing the spinners in poor light for so long, I mean bowling Lawrence instead of Root wtf

Let’s do positives and negatives from the first two days.

Positives: pope scoring a century at last
Duckett scoring freely up until about 80
Batters on both sides generating power with short range tucked-in shots. It’s nice to see this evolution of technique
Some brilliant fielding on both sides, particularly the catches taken, not least woakes to give homeboy Hull his first test wicket
Sri Lanka actually bowling to a plan and taking my comments on board, I hereby claim credit for dhananjayas two wickets
A gripping contest for much of the Sri Lankan innings. Nissanka played like he was worth a FC average of 60, and of course so did kamindu mendis.

Negatives:
England middle order bazballing on the second day when they needed to keep the head and support pope. Harry Brook seems incapable of playing a test match innings at the moment - if he’s not scoring runs quickly enough he gets frustrated and tries to smack bowlers about. His career will have a very Gary Ballance flavour unless he learns to play the ball on merit.
kusal mendis is a bunny
Popes captaincy in the field was quite try-hard, yes they got 5 down for less than 100 but 325 is not a huge total to defend. Worst was playing the spinners in poor light for so long, I mean bowling Lawrence instead of Root wtf
Disagree about Bazball. With the threat of rain and reduced play and favourable conditions England needed to get overs in

Remove this Banner Ad

England vs Sri Lanka 3 tests

Remove this Banner Ad

Back