Remove this Banner Ad

SAbella

Team Captain
Jul 14, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
How long to go on Ayres contract?

Is it fair to blame the coaching staff (especially Ayres) for our losses over the last two weeks (not counting Collingwood loss)?

I have never been overly excited at having Ayres as our coach and feel that if we had a powerhouse coach such as Malthouse, Matthews, Sheedy, the Crows would do better. I'm feeling pretty disappointed right about now 'cos we've lost our double chance and maybe I am just looking to place the blame but the coaching staff made some REALLY stupid decisions last week and this week, time for the coaches to start becoming more accountable?

I think he has another year SAbella

And yes its perfectly normal to blame the Coaching staff. They would be the first to admit that the buck stops with them.

It would be a pretty handy assessment to "rate" the Coaches weekly but it would have to come from an unbiased corner.

Nearly every game this year that we have lost could be attributed to some weird decisions or non decisions on the coaching front.

A couple that come to mind include the matchups on Milne and Woewoedin; leaving Roo on the bench to cool off in Showdown 13; Bassetts demise; McLeods positioning; yaddah yaddah yaddah.

Ayresy will be construed as a better coach this time next week

;)

Originally posted by SAbella
How long to go on Ayres contract?

Is it fair to blame the coaching staff (especially Ayres) for our losses over the last two weeks (not counting Collingwood loss)?

I have never been overly excited at having Ayres as our coach and feel that if we had a powerhouse coach such as Malthouse, Matthews, Sheedy, the Crows would do better. I'm feeling pretty disappointed right about now 'cos we've lost our double chance and maybe I am just looking to place the blame but the coaching staff made some REALLY stupid decisions last week and this week, time for the coaches to start becoming more accountable?
[/QUOTE

As much as i admire Ayresy my main gripe to his coaching style is a lack of imagination & slowness to react when the wheels are falling off, whether or not it's all down to him & that he does need fresh blood in the box beside him eventually the buck stops with Gary & next year will tell the story on him staying or going,

But at the moment he is still the coach of the AFC & i will support him as such,

Ayres stuffed up big time selection-wise this week.

Basset shouldve been there and wasnt. Wouldve been able to cover those port dip sh i ts . He was sitting three rows in front of me and pretty much looked disinterested all day....

As much as I love the kid, I don't know what went through Ayres head when selecting an inexperienced player like Reilly. And what made it worse was that he was placed on BYRON PICKET in the last quarter. Thats just asking for trouble......:( :mad:

Originally posted by RaDaR ReiLLy
As much as I love the kid, I don't know what went through Ayres head when selecting an inexperienced player like Reilly. And what made it worse was that he was placed on BYRON PICKET in the last quarter. Thats just asking for trouble......:( :mad:
I saw that and thought I was seeing things.
That has to be up there with one of the worst match ups of the day.

I have mixed feelings about Ayers.

He's very good at developing a squad- we've got a great list, and we are also very good at doing the mundane things properly. There are times when we have a 'shocker' against a bottom side, the loss to St Kilda in round 2 springs to mind, but then we also do things like go to Perth and win, and also our record in Sydney is excellent.

But where Ayers falls down is in the games against the 'big three' and in close games. We are now something like one win in 15 attempts against the 'big three' and we also are beaten far too often in close games.

What this says to me is that Ayers isn't well equipped to make decisive moves in the fourth quater where the game is in the balance. He's developed the skill level of the team as far as he can, and he's done a fine job there, but he's not able to make the key moves in a tight situation to get the club over the line.

Given that Ayers has been in the coaching caper for over 200 games now, I don't think he's going to be able to improve this side of his coaching.

But before we start calling for his head, I think it's important to bear in mind that there isn't anyone that springs to mind that can replace him.

Originally posted by AdelaideFC97

Given that Ayers has been in the coaching caper for over 200 games now, I don't think he's going to be able to improve this side of his coaching.

But before we start calling for his head, I think it's important to bear in mind that there isn't anyone that springs to mind that can replace him.

Ever heard of a man called Terry Wallace??

Got a hell of a lot out of a very ordinary list, and was very good on match day.

Ayres has one more year on his contract to show whether he really is the right man to take us all the way, and should be given that chance.

At the end of next year, I suspect that Wallace will still be available and if Ayres hasn't cut the mustard then perhaps we should be looking at a Terry Wallace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by macca23
Ever heard of a man called Terry Wallace??

Got a hell of a lot out of a very ordinary list, and was very good on match day.

Ayres has one more year on his contract to show whether he really is the right man to take us all the way, and should be given that chance.

At the end of next year, I suspect that Wallace will still be available and if Ayres hasn't cut the mustard then perhaps we should be looking at a Terry Wallace.

Hear, hear!

We clearly have a number of key players out of form, injured or not fully recovered from injury. I believe our current list can go all the way if the cards fall the right way. If the team gets a decent run next year I would expect us to be at least top four and probably a grand finalist. If this doesn't happen, it's time to consider who the next AFC coach will be.

Ayres has made some very questionable calls this year that have cost us games IMO. If this continues next year he would have to be through.

Gary Ayres very nice guy and was a champion footballer.................but he a is a dumb coach,cant see him taking us to a premiership,I think if we made the grand final ,on grand final day he would **** himself in the coaches box, he wouldnt know what to do:rolleyes:

What's Terry Wallace's number??????

Next year is certainly Ayers's last chance to prove if he has what it takes. If he cannot win premiership with the squad we have then he is not much of a coach in finals football. Imagine what Malthouse would have done with this squad.

I really think that for the next couple of years trading 1st and 2nd rounds draft picks is a BIG NO NO unless we are trading for a young champion that will be able to give us 10 years of good footy. Eg. Matthew Pavlich. Otherwise we are in deep shit in the medium future. Once the likes of Carey, Stevens, Hart, Ricciuto, McLeod, Goodwin and other retire we are pretty thin on up and coming gun players.:(

Coaching and rectuiring people really have to earn their money in the next couple of years.:mad:

Personally I'm not convinced Ayres is our main problem with our coaching panel. I'm not convinced we have enough inovative assistants around him with the exception of Craig. I reckon we need some new blood to replace Micken &/or Curran.

Im with you a bit Kane; but you gotta wonder.
If I had a choice of a coaching assistant (and if he is available) Id opt for Gary Lyon.

What about the blokes that didnt extract the digit yesterday:confused: You cant totally blame our coaching panel for that.

My concern is that we have gone backwards this year.

We have won 13 games and made the finals. We have just met our expectations for the year.

We have not been professional enough or raised our standards this year. Too many close loses have cost us a Top 4 spot.

Our team selections and game plans have not been effective enough and we are too slow to make changes.

Its not just our players not learning from our mistakes its the coaches as well. As Blight once said, football teams dont lose football matches, football clubs do.

Our club has a fair amount of work in front of it for 2004.

One area that we had to improve on this year is finals performances.

In Round 1 of the finals in 98, 2001, 2002 we have lost our first final. Win this week and its an improvement on 2003...but it still wont be enough for me.

Originally posted by Jerome
yep, see ya Mickan.

Stay right away from Wallace. His list management is shocking!

Have said for a while we need new blood with fresh ideas in the coaching box & at least Mark Mickan should make way for someone preferably from another interstate clubs background that is not long retired from the game

Would look at Wallace as an assistant coach (if he would be interested) but not for the main job, to many similarities to the Shaw experiment,

Originally posted by noddy
Have said for a while we need new blood with fresh ideas in the coaching box & at least Mark Mickan should make way for someone preferably from another interstate clubs background that is not long retired from the game

Would look at Wallace as an assistant coach (if he would be interested) but not for the main job, to many similarities to the Shaw experiment,

Didnt we get Craig for fresh blood and new ideas?

David Pittman would be the ideal person as a ruck coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ayres

Remove this Banner Ad

Back