Analysis Back 6 Selection

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just had to make a thread on this because i've felt strongly about this since Hombsch cemented his spot in the 22. so that's 3 years?

We are continually playing 4 talls/statues even when it's not required. On the weekend we played our normal 4 (Trengove, Jonas, Hombsch, Carlile) even when on thursday the AFL website had listed the saints team with Jack Billings at full forward. Yes, that included Riewoldt on the wing where he was played in parts, yet we still went into the game with 4 talls that are shut down defenders. How is this even going to work in the long run when you ask Jonas to stand players like Lonie.

oh, but it worked in '14 you say? yes it did work we were also playing 2 forwards 1 ruck and 4 tall defenders. Trengove was splitting his time defence/ruck and we really played with only 7 talls. Trengove/Westhoff still played midfield and Schulz was always at half back that's a heap of midfield capable players in our squad. since then we are now playing with an extra tall on the ground in Ryder/Dixon. Personally i think football has changed a lot since then, especially with the new rules/style of football this year(making it harder for our setup). Then there is the addition of Impey, who i am a large fan of, however... when you use a small defender in a game and he gets 5 disposals alongside your 4 tall defenders, you are in serious trouble generating run out of defence, something that we've struggled with for all last year yet we still seem persistent in playing these big guys.

As a case study lets look at the bulldogs. a lot of similarities between how we play offensively and they do in my opinion. They have been playing stunning football with no CHB or CHF. another team that did it without a CHB? the eagles. two teams that are right at the pointy end of peoples premiership predictions. but lets have a look at the WBD's back 6 output. 3 of their back 7 had more than 30 touches on the weekend. then Boyd had 26, Suckling 22. Morris the "Jonas" style defender had 10 along with a debutant (thx for SC score bud). they basically played with 2 "dour" defenders last week and for most of last year. This is definitely by force but fact is football is heading towards this. despite predictions of 2m tall forwards a few years ago the CHF of the future has shrunk instead of grown. looks as if it could be the same down back. the bulldogs are capable of both defending the quick breaks due to increased running ability and rebound at ease when they get the ball off their opponents such as dinosaurs like Vickery, Cloke and Dixon. As for those big marks? Pressure on the ball carrier with more running defenders allows those kicks to have slightly more air and easily spoiled in an outnumbered situation. I'm not saying key forwards are useless. Dixon is one of the most important pick ups we've ever had. he's a focal point, beast and point of difference on most of the competition. my point is we just can't keep playing the same back 6/7 every week.

I am happy to admit we have a spoil for taller defenders but is it necessary to play them? judging by the weekend where we got cut to pieces over the back by smaller players i suggest it's necessary we drop one. we had to to rely on Pittard racking up 27in a close to BOG performance and Broadbent 26 to get over st. kilda.

We need more fluidity in our 22. for instance i think we match up fantastically this week however i am scared for our lives when we come up against say the bulldogs who's CHF is 189cm and FF 185cm. who do we drop? i don't know... but i think it's a great place to start picking the best team to win, instead of our best team. look at Hawthorn, they dropped Ceglar for McEvoy 2 years ago in a GF because he suited the opponent more. result? they won a premiership, thats all.

my best defence:

Impey Trengove O'Shea
Broadbent Hombsch Pittard
(Krakeour)

TLDR; our defence is shot and devoid of rebound if we continue to play the same team week in week out.

Carlile for me now is a week by week prospect.
Need him this week V the crows.
Problem is whos pushing to come in? Oshea was horrid in the magpies. Impey had what 5 touches also?
Krak i agree but more for Impey.

For me

Krak Trengove ???

Id have Hartlett back there to.

As has been said by a few people now: Our defenders weren't really the problem on Sunday, it was the lack of defensive effort by the midfield.
I don't entirely disagree with the premise that our back 6 are probably a bit top heavy, but I haven't really seen this to be a problem as yet.

The 4 tall backs for mine was a concern last year when we had Ryder as a 2nd ruck. Now that we dont have a 2nd ruck and Trengove is filling that gap it alleviates the 4 tall back structure as there'll really only be all 4 on and in defence together for a portion of the game.

I understand the concern as sometimes we can seem clumsy and tall, but I dont think it is as much of an issue this year as it has been in the past.

For me our best defence is:

HB: Krakouer, Trengove, Broadbent
FB: Pittard, Carlile, Hombsch
Rotation: Jonas

As has been said by a few people now: Our defenders weren't really the problem on Sunday, it was the lack of defensive effort by the midfield.
I don't entirely disagree with the premise that our back 6 are probably a bit top heavy, but I haven't really seen this to be a problem as yet.
Yeah I actually thought when our defence was in position that they just had no way of scoring. The issue was we were just so messy with our structure that we were rarely in position to defend. Hopefully this is tidied up ahead of next week.

Don't see the problem to be honest. Jonas and hombcsh are both 189 and 193 cms and are always going to be better players as third talls. I saw hombsch leave his man time and again to come over to the contest. Both can play on smalls or talls as well as just about anyone in the league.

Carlile and Trengove are the key defenders .. Dixon and Shultz key forwards.

Hombsch plays third tall. Jonas is a med defender.

Hoff floats as a tall linkman.

Lobbe is the ruckman with support from Trengove and westie.

Far from being too tall we are pretty much textbook size. 2 key defenders with a third tall , 2 key forwards and a ruck seems pretty much normal to me. Only exception is westhoff , and he is exactly that. The exception to the rule. The most mobile skilled tall player in the game.

where does clurey fit?
Not really a KP player, and not really a rebound player
He's a KPD. Clurey and Hombsch are both 193/89. Slightly undersized for KPDs, but not by too much.
I think he's quite similar to Hombsch really in that they're both shutdown players who happen to have very neat disposal by foot. Hombsch is better as he has quite good intercept marking skills, whereas Clurey is more the spoil-first option player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our KPB are hombsche, trengove, clurey, westhoff and one day Ryder again
Our small rebounding guys are pittard, broadbent, krak, Impey and DBJ

Our shut down hard guy is Jonas but he seems lost and carlile has returned to heavy for duty

for me what is available in the short term

HB pittard Westhoff Broadbent
FB Hombsche Trengove Krak

Just had to make a thread on this because i've felt strongly about this since Hombsch cemented his spot in the 22. so that's 3 years?

We are continually playing 4 talls/statues even when it's not required. On the weekend we played our normal 4 (Trengove, Jonas, Hombsch, Carlile) .
Jonas isn't a tall, he is a mid sized player who plays tall. He is 188cm and 89kgs
Fyfe 190cms/91kgs
Mundy 192cms/89kgs
Kennedy Sydney 188cm/93kgs
Cripps Carlton 193cms/90kgs

Would you play any of these mid fielders on Buddy or Tex or Cloke?? Jonas is as strong as an Ox so we have used him against the Gorillas. But to me he isn't a tall he is a utility player.

Jonas isn't a tall, he is a mid sized player who plays tall. He is 188cm and 89kgs
Fyfe 190cms/91kgs
Mundy 192cms/89kgs
Kennedy Sydney 188cm/93kgs
Cripps Carlton 193cms/90kgs

Would you play any of these mid fielders on Buddy or Tex or Cloke?? Jonas is as strong as an Ox so we have used him against the Gorillas. But to me he isn't a tall he is a utility player.

he also plays tall in the way that he offers not much in the way of offence. my problem is also with Impey. so it's not tall guys i have a problem with it's inability to get involved offensively. Jonas had a freaky period there late in '14 where he was intercept marking regularly, but since then it's dissipated. If Westhoff was our CHB, i wouldn't have a problem with him. In some way i don't have a problem with Hombsch except he's our best mover yet is always restricted as he's playing the opponents best forward. My problem is the inability of two thirds or more of our defence offering little to rebounding.

where does clurey fit?
Not really a KP player, and not really a rebound player
If we play horses for courses the you play Bobby on the monsters .

When a team doesn't have one we play someone who cancels out the opposition.

This week I'd play Oshea, and bring in Carlo's for extra run and scoring ability.

This then keeps our backs fresh for the year.

If we play horses for courses the you play Bobby on the monsters .

When a team doesn't have one we play someone who cancels out the opposition.

This week I'd play Oshea, and bring in Carlo's for extra run and scoring ability.

This then keeps our backs fresh for the year.

exactly our "best team" will have the 4 talls and Impey which is fantastic against Adelaide's and West Coasts of this world but when we play teams like Bulldogs, saints and currently Hawthorn, we probably want to swap out a tall for a mid size.

We are continually playing 4 talls/statues even when it's not required. On the weekend we played our normal 4 (Trengove, Jonas, Hombsch, Carlile) even when on thursday the AFL website had listed the saints team with Jack Billings at full forward. Yes, that included Riewoldt on the wing where he was played in parts, yet we still went into the game with 4 talls that are shut down defenders. How is this even going to work in the long run when you ask Jonas to stand players like Lonie.

oh, but it worked in '14 you say? yes it did work we were also playing 2 forwards 1 ruck and 4 tall defenders. Trengove was splitting his time defence/ruck and we really played with only 7 talls. Trengove/Westhoff still played midfield and Schulz was always at half back that's a heap of midfield capable players in our squad. since then we are now playing with an extra tall on the ground in Ryder/Dixon. Personally i think football has changed a lot since then, especially with the new rules/style of football this year(making it harder for our setup). Then there is the addition of Impey, who i am a large fan of, however... when you use a small defender in a game and he gets 5 disposals alongside your 4 tall defenders, you are in serious trouble generating run out of defence, something that we've struggled with for all last year yet we still seem persistent in playing these big guys.

As a case study lets look at the bulldogs. a lot of similarities between how we play offensively and they do in my opinion. They have been playing stunning football with no CHB or CHF. another team that did it without a CHB? the eagles. two teams that are right at the pointy end of peoples premiership predictions. but lets have a look at the WBD's back 6 output. 3 of their back 7 had more than 30 touches on the weekend. then Boyd had 26, Suckling 22. Morris the "Jonas" style defender had 10 along with a debutant (thx for SC score bud). they basically played with 2 "dour" defenders last week and for most of last year. This is definitely by force but fact is football is heading towards this. despite predictions of 2m tall forwards a few years ago the CHF of the future has shrunk instead of grown. looks as if it could be the same down back. the bulldogs are capable of both defending the quick breaks due to increased running ability and rebound at ease when they get the ball off their opponents such as dinosaurs like Vickery, Cloke and Dixon. As for those big marks? Pressure on the ball carrier with more running defenders allows those kicks to have slightly more air and easily spoiled in an outnumbered situation. I'm not saying key forwards are useless. Dixon is one of the most important pick ups we've ever had. he's a focal point, beast and point of difference on most of the competition. my point is we just can't keep playing the same back 6/7 every week.

I am happy to admit we have a spoil for taller defenders but is it necessary to play them? judging by the weekend where we got cut to pieces over the back by smaller players i suggest it's necessary we drop one. we had to to rely on Pittard racking up 27in a close to BOG performance and Broadbent 26 to get over st. kilda.

We need more fluidity in our 22. for instance i think we match up fantastically this week however i am scared for our lives when we come up against say the bulldogs who's CHF is 189cm and FF 185cm. who do we drop? i don't know... but i think it's a great place to start picking the best team to win, instead of our best team. look at Hawthorn, they dropped Ceglar for McEvoy 2 years ago in a GF because he suited the opponent more. result? they won a premiership, thats all.

my best defence:

Impey Trengove O'Shea
(Krakeour)

TLDR; our defence is shot and devoid of rebound if we continue to play the same team week in week out.

also TL;DR, I've been saying this for years.

Pittard and Broadbent give us the best run and drive off of half back in my opinion. When Hombsch doesn't have to invest all of his effort into shutting a dangerous forward down he is also one of the best users of the ball in our defence. Jonas can kick both feet and is fairly decent on either one really, on his day he can also provide a good deliverer from the defence. Impey also provides good run out of the backline, and while his disposal is questionable at times, there is no doubt the building blocks are there. Carlile and Trengrove are in the team for shutting down the tall key forwards and offering height rather than skills, so that's just two players out of the 7 defenders we played against the Saints that can't really offer much drive from the backline. I don't think we have a problem being top-heavy, we just didn't get our run out of defence going as smooth as we wanted it to. Don't forget that we have also trialled Hartlett at half back with moderate success and Polec has also played a stint there. Not too much to worry about I reckon.

Here's an analysis of our defense. Take away the following goals - the one scored by Ebert's **** up when everyone was caught out of position...the one scored by Broadbent's **** up when, again, everyone was out of position...the one scored by Pittard's **** up in defensive 50...and the one scored by Hartlett's **** up in defensive 50. Four goals that had absolutely ZERO to do with how mobile our defense is or how high up we press, since all of them occurred when we started with the ball deep in defense.

That's 24 points. Now, take that off of St.Kilda's score of 100 points, and you get 76. We win by 10 goals, and everyone would be talking about how our defense is in the premiership winning range of 100 for, 85 against. Why do you think St. Kilda would always run the ball in when they got it over the back? It was to make absolutely sure they scored, because they knew it wasn't easy to do so and that they were only scoring because of our mistakes rather than any play that they were creating - and they wanted us to drop our defenders back so they could have room to operate. They wanted to create scoreboard pressure to alleviate the pressure they were under.

We're pressing high to overload the midfield. In a game like soccer, this tactic is helped by the offside rule - but ask yourself why the offside rule was introduced in the first place? It was to stop forwards from hanging around the goals to score in a game where scoring was meant to be difficult (hence the goalkeeper). In Australian Rules, we don't need to worry about an offside rule, because scoring is actually fairly easy - as evidenced by the fact that we kicked 6 goals in the final 10 minutes of the game.

If our forwards and midfielders work as they should and slow the play down so the opposition can't transition quickly through the center of the ground, that gives our defense time to get back into position and set up. But in the meantime, the high press traps the ball into our forward 50 and makes repeat entries more frequent and therefore it easier to score.

For those at the game how was TJ defensively? He was a bit scary with the ball in hand from memory.

I don't get to see much of him but Clurey reminds me of a young Dustin Fletcher.

People have been critical of the number of times Impey touched the ball. I recall some good pressure from him up the ground. Macca rated the defensive side of his game. Has Impey traded run for lockdown defence? Has this side of his game improved?

I'm really starting to think that I'd like to see Krak playing high half forward. I have no idea if he has the fitness.

he also plays tall in the way that he offers not much in the way of offence. my problem is also with Impey. so it's not tall guys i have a problem with it's inability to get involved offensively. Jonas had a freaky period there late in '14 where he was intercept marking regularly, but since then it's dissipated. If Westhoff was our CHB, i wouldn't have a problem with him. In some way i don't have a problem with Hombsch except he's our best mover yet is always restricted as he's playing the opponents best forward. My problem is the inability of two thirds or more of our defence offering little to rebounding.
You dont need everyone to be offensive runners in the backline. Pittard and Broadie do the job well as does Impey and Krak when they are down back. You need solid defensive types and you can mix it up a bit.

And as has been seen for 40 years, blokes who have an ability to read the play better than others can get the ball out to the runners especially when we have 12 in our defensive 50. A slick handball out of a tight situation can be as useful as running with the ball 20m yourself under pressure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Back 6 Selection

Remove this Banner Ad

Back