Trade Requested Bailey Smith [reportedly headed to Geelong]

Remove this Banner Ad

As far as I've read, he can nominate for the ND, or say he wants to be held over to the PSD. If he nominates for the national draft, he has to set out the $ he wants (so whatever it is Geelong is offering) and he's bound to that club for 2 years.

If he's taking unders to go to Geelong, then obviously that means a higher chance someone else will take him. If he puts in a higher $, and Geelong takes him, he can't then sign for a lower amount once he gets to Geelong.
As a side note, it's ridiculous that he CAN negotiate a lower amount once he gets to his club if he goes via Free Agency (see: Joe Daniher)

Would he qualify as a delisted free agent if the Dogs re-draft him?
No, because we've formally tabled the fact that we've offered him a contract.

No, because we've formally tabled the fact that we've offered him a contract.
Anyway, I don't know why you'd burn a draft pick to re-draft him, only to try for a compo (tied to your finishing position) the next year regardless.

Plus, if Smith goes back into the draft, I doubt it would be on a single-year contract.

Anyway, I don't know why you'd burn a draft pick to re-draft him, only to try for a compo (tied to your finishing position) the next year regardless.

Plus, if Smith goes back into the draft, I doubt it would be on a single-year contract.
For the national draft, it would be at least a 2 year contract.

When you nominate you agree that "if selected at the Draft, I shall accept employment with the AFL club selecting me and shall enter into a contract with that club for a period of at least (2) years".

https://play.afl/sites/default/files/2024-10/2024 Telstra AFL Draft Booklet.pdf

For the national draft, it would be at least a 2 year contract.

When you nominate you agree that "if selected at the Draft, I shall accept employment with the AFL club selecting me and shall enter into a contract with that club for a period of at least (2) years".

https://play.afl/sites/default/files/2024-10/2024 Telstra AFL Draft Booklet.pdf
I assume he'd just nominate the full 5 years or whatever the offer is in the incredibly unlikely event that happens

If Bailey Smith elects to go in the draft he would be a great pick up for the Tigers with their 5th pick in the first round. One pick before Geelongs.
Or he could go PSD and Tigers 1st pick.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If Bailey Smith elects to go in the draft he would be a great pick up for the Tigers with their 5th pick in the first round. One pick before Geelongs.
Or he could go PSD and Tigers 1st pick.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
If Smith was as old as Luke Ball was Geelong wouldn't have anything to worry about.

I assume he'd just nominate the full 5 years or whatever the offer is in the incredibly unlikely event that happens
You can't nominate more or less than the two years if going through the national draft
Just your dollar amounts.
You can nominate terms for the PSD.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Bailey Smith [reportedly headed to Geelong]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back