Club Focus Geelong 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

I've seen nothing of him, but on face value Hardie seems very unlucky. Made the VFL team of the season this year.
I've said this elsewhere, but I was a bit frustrated that he was never even given a shot. If he'd played a couple of games and was obviously short of AFL standard then at least we'd all know.

Given our midfield lack of depth, I can only assume the club must have seen some significant drawback/flaw in him to not even allow him 1-2 games.

Surprised they delisted Hardie he was really good in VFL this year.

Hes good but vfl is his level one paced and poor skills. Writing was on the wall once we didnt play him.

Big chunk of players to let go in one fell swoop, but all pretty understandable although could have seen Rohan get a one year deal. Additional retirements to come? Stanley? Duncan?

Could be true end of an era end of next year if Danger, Guthrie, Blicavs call it quits then. A bit like with us and having Riewoldt/Cotchin one year and then Dusty and Grimes the following.

This offseason and next offseason will be a big test of the Cats ability to continually contend. I don't think this crop of list changes is going to impact them immediately although it really comes down to who you replace them with. A cooked Hawkins will still give you more than say a first year full forward. Pretty interesting couple of years ahead.

Big chunk of players to let go in one fell swoop, but all pretty understandable although could have seen Rohan get a one year deal. Additional retirements to come? Stanley? Duncan?

Could be true end of an era end of next year if Danger, Guthrie, Blicavs call it quits then. A bit like with us and having Riewoldt/Cotchin one year and then Dusty and Grimes the following.

This offseason and next offseason will be a big test of the Cats ability to continually contend. I don't think this crop of list changes is going to impact them immediately although it really comes down to who you replace them with. A cooked Hawkins will still give you more than say a first year full forward. Pretty interesting couple of years ahead.

I think if the other older guys were going it would have been announced today albeit i know that stanley has a bung knee and was definitely retiring earlier this year-but with conway injured again the club may have convinced him to go 1 more if we cant get another ruck in.
Sounds like bews and duncan will go on which i disagree with.
Rohan was always up against it with how well ollie henry and mannagh are now playing.

In terms of other retirements guthrie we've basically coped without for 2 years anyway.
The hard ones to replace will be danger because hes so elite and his leadership and blicavs because he gives us a lot of role flexibility (but if we bring in another ruck or kpd it will help cover him).
Obviously the most elite players are cameron and stewart but the club will be hoping they can play til 35 (particularly stewart who was a late starter) like hawkins did.
I think long term we will do ok as our young group is decent but there's definitey a couple of years of missing finals ahead.

I think if the other older guys were going it would have been announced today albeit i know that stanley has a bung knee and was definitely retiring earlier this year-but with conway injured again the club may have convinced him to go 1 more if we cant get another ruck in.
Sounds like bews and duncan will go on which i disagree with.
Rohan was always up against it with how well ollie henry and mannagh are now playing.

In terms of other retirements guthrie we've basically coped without for 2 years anyway.
The hard ones to replace will be danger because hes so elite and his leadership and blicavs because he gives us a lot of role flexibility (but if we bring in another ruck or kpd it will help cover him).
Obviously the most elite players are cameron and stewart but the club will be hoping they can play til 35 (particularly stewart who was a late starter) like hawkins did.
I think long term we will do ok as our young group is decent but there's definitey a couple of years of missing finals ahead.

Be interesting to see what the strategy is moving forward. In years gone past it seemed more like if you were over 30 and your club was only offering you a one year deal, Geelong would be the ones two give you two or three. Guys like Isaac Smith, Higgins, Ceglar etc, but more recently you guys have been getting in guys quite a bit earlier. Bailey Smith could be another example though he's not going to bring the kind of leadership that you got when you brought in Danger.

I think you are right, in terms of almost like Stewart takes over the Danger leadership role and Cameron becomes what Hawkins has been the past couple of years. You guys have been the best in the business in terms of keeping the list competitive, just unsure as to currently what the right strategy is.

Its odd to sign Jack Martin but get rid of Gary Rohan in my eyes but it appears to be what they plan on doing. They tend to know what they are doing so think we can trust the process on this one

Its odd to sign Jack Martin but get rid of Gary Rohan in my eyes but it appears to be what they plan on doing. They tend to know what they are doing so think we can trust the process on this one

I'm not a martin fan (due to injuries mainly) but theres a variety of roles he could play including wing or hbf etc. Whereas rohan really is a one position 3rd tall forward only and ollie henry squeezed him out. So it's not as linear as that.

I'm not a martin fan (due to injuries mainly) but theres a variety of roles he could play including wing or hbf etc. Whereas rohan really is a one position 3rd tall forward only and ollie henry squeezed him out. So it's not as linear as that.
Honestly think Martin is zero chance of playing wing or HB and id view Martin as a slightly more versatile forward then Rohan was.

Not sure it matters that much as its a free gamble

It's basically a 4 year younger replacement right down to the injury issues. If it's a 1 year deal with triggers for a second it's basically zero risk and Martin's best footy is excellent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus Geelong 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back