Speculation Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely Baz can now see how far ahead the Cats rebuild is compared to Hawthorns, he’ll get a lot more success at Geelong, no brainer.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Don't stoop to the level of the ill informed morons of the last few pages. You're better than that.

It was stupid when they did it, and it's stupid if we do it too.

Both clubs have got bright futures ahead of them, it doesn't have to be either/or.

Don't stoop to the level of the ill informed morons of the last few pages. You're better than that.

It was stupid when they did it, and it's stupid if we do it too.

Both clubs have got bright futures ahead of them, it doesn't have to be either/or.
You are both totally correct and a killjoy

You are both totally correct and a killjoy
It's obvious he's picking Geelong or Hawthorn because he sees the sinking ship at Collingwood.

Young players are spuds outside of Daicos, and they're about to enter a 10 year rebuild. Maybe 5 if they're lucky

Baz is smart enough to know better than to go to that cesspool and waste his career like old mate FIGJAM.

....That better?

It's obvious he's picking Geelong or Hawthorn because he sees the sinking ship at Collingwood.

Young players are spuds outside of Daicos, and they're about to enter a 10 year rebuild. Maybe 5 if they're lucky

Baz is smart enough to know better than to go to that cesspool and waste his career like old mate FIGJAM.

....That better?
Perfection 👌

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but you’re not bottoming out and remaining a threat each year.
Yes but does that allow genuine contending or hanging around in the top half is the question. I didn’t come away from the game thinking wow the cats have amassed a lot of young talent. Holmes and Dempsey speak for themselves. Will be interesting to watch the box hill replay too. Anyway smith has 2 good clubs and pay days so I don’t think he’s overly worried.

Yes but does that allow genuine contending or hanging around in the top half is the question. I didn’t come away from the game thinking wow the cats have amassed a lot of young talent. Holmes and Dempsey speak for themselves. Will be interesting to watch the box hill replay too. Anyway smith has 2 good clubs and pay days so I don’t think he’s overly worried.
We literally won a premiership 18 months ago

We literally won a premiership 18 months ago
Sure no knock on that and many clubs would kill for it. If though you don’t win another flag this decade (and with losing multiple hall of famers maybe longer) then the strategy which probably started mid 2010s nets you about the average # of premierships expected but without the dip down to the bottom. Maybe that’s worth it and maybe the days of multiple flags in a window are gone with the evening out of the competition.
I do find it weird that the cats are lauded as geniuses, yet King earlier this year asked if fagan should be replaced, because maybe after 5 consecutive finals, 4 top 4 finishes and losing a GF by 4 points he doesn’t quite have what it takes.

Sure no knock on that and many clubs would kill for it. If though you don’t win another flag this decade (and with losing multiple hall of famers maybe longer) then the strategy which probably started mid 2010s nets you about the average # of premierships expected but without the dip down to the bottom. Maybe that’s worth it and maybe the days of multiple flags in a window are gone with the evening out of the competition.
I do find it weird that the cats are lauded as geniuses, yet King earlier this year asked if fagan should be replaced, because maybe after 5 consecutive finals, 4 top 4 finishes and losing a GF by 4 points he doesn’t quite have what it takes.
"Sure winning games and premierships is nice but have you tried accepting defeat lately?"

No thanks

CatToTheFuture is right. We'd rather do what we've been doing as it clearly works, it's envied around the League.
Teams are trying to emulate what Geelong have done (Freo just poached one of our top scouts) and i don't blame them.

Cats will always be an attractive place because of the winning culture and the lifestyle that can be provided to players.
Sure, not every player wants to live away from the media spotlight but a lot of them do.

You have the appeal to country kids with farming and acreage, you have the surf/fishing/boat culture down surf coast way and on top of that you're still only just over an hour from the big smoke so it's not a World away if you wanted to go clubbing/bars there.

You have an ingrained ideal of a club that wants to succeed and not tank (never finished lower than 12th...longest spoon drought)
A club that doesn't want to rely on just top draft picks to stack the list. They go alternative all the time. Whether that's late picks, rookie draft selections, guys with a different sporting background (Wells is a bloody genius)

And on top of all of that, you have developmental pathways through the local leagues and up through to the Falcons with the proverbial Geelong Footy Factory, the appeal to go Home is always there.

If people don't think all of above is enticing to a guy like Bailey Smith then they're crazy.
The guy has said before he likes it down the surf coast way.

Last edited:
CatToTheFuture is right. We'd rather do what we've been doing as it clearly works, it's envied around the League.
Teams are trying to emulate what Geelong have done (Freo just poached one of our top scouts) and i don't blame them.

Cats will always be an attractive place because of the winning culture and the lifestyle that can be provided to players.
Sure, not every player wants to live away from the media spotlight but a lot of them do.

You have the appeal to country kids with farming and acreage, you have the surf/fishing/boat culture down surf coast way and on top of that you're still only just over an hour from the big smoke so it's not a World away if you wanted to go clubbing/bars there.

You have an ingrained ideal of a club that wants to succeed and not tank (never finished lower than 12th...longest spoon drought)
A club that doesn't want to rely on just top draft picks to stack the list. They go alternative all the time. Whether that's late picks, rookie draft selections, guys with a different sporting background (Wells is a bloody genius)

And on top of all of that, you have developmental pathways through the local leagues and up through to the Falcons with the proverbial Geelong Footy Factory, the appeal to go Home is always there.

If people don't think all of above is enticing to a guy like Bailey Smith then they're crazy.
The guy has said before he likes it down the surf coast way.
Yep it’s undoubtedly been a success and it’s easy to see why the club gets the players to come. The total rebuild path has hardly ever worked because in reality, there is so little difference between first and last (pick 1 is it), so what the cats have done has made total sense.
On Bailey smith which I just noticed is the title of the thread, I am 85% sure that he will leave the dogs, 65/35 cats v hawks, 100% comfortable either way.

Thought this was the Bailey Smith thread?

Yep it’s undoubtedly been a success and it’s easy to see why the club gets the players to come. The total rebuild path has hardly ever worked because in reality, there is so little difference between first and last (pick 1 is it), so what the cats have done has made total sense.
On Bailey smith which I just noticed is the title of the thread, I am 85% sure that he will leave the dogs, 65/35 cats v hawks, 100% comfortable either way.
Yeah I reckon bailey means a lot more to us than to you. We lack speed and power in the young contested mids and we need someone who can balance it. It'll make all the others that bit more dangerous.

Last edited:

....That better?
Yeah, 🤣 we'll see, we don't do rebuilds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back