Speculation Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn't Houston contracted?
My favourite part of this is how people don't understand the difference between contacted and uncontracted.
My other favourite part is people who abuse professional reporters, but believe ITKs fantasising on the internet

My bad... forgot to take into account the 2 different contract status's. Too emotional with how we have pushed away a bloke that would be super important when libba goes.

So Geelong fans wants Smith and Oliver in their side for 2025. Then of course will go to war on an internet message board when people say they can’t develop their own players.
Remind the class how the Bad News Bears managed to develop all their best players in Lachie Neale, Joe Daniher, Charlie Cameron, Josh Dunkley and Lincoln McCarthy?

My favourite part of this is how it has been reported yesterday that Houston is worth 2 first rounders and 13 is enough for Smith. Big deal re the knee. He's a strong boy he will be fine.

A two first round picks for a 29 year old injury riddled Tom Barrass…. No Ty.

Depends what Bailey is after as to which club is best fit.. all three are a good chance of onfield success in next 5-8 years.. they are all great clubs.

Geelong - slower lifestyle, great club culture, marquee player expectations (pros and cons), sponsorship ties

Collingwood - big club, city ritz, good for instagram account, less pressure to be top player.

Hawks - adds experience to exciting club on rise, best bet for future flags in my opinion..

If success was the driving factor he’d stay, but he wants midfield minutes and more cash.

Dogs are the most likely to get a flag within 5 years. Their young spine is elite.
I agree but it could go two ways.

The spine could lift and carry through to a premiership while the mids are still potent. The young-old overlap worked with Geelong in 2022.

The output of the mids could taper off before the kp kids can get it done.

Not sure which is more likely but on paper there is a lot of highly skilled players at the dogs. Much more than either the Cats or Hawks

If you don't know which way the wind is blowing then your boat just moves with the current
Great analogy, definitely going to use that one. 👍🏼

Devils advocate on Smith being in a box at the Hawks v Pies game, why wouldn’t you make sure you get seen at the game and even tell the recruitment manager you’ll be there as all the media are queuing up to report that you’re headed to Geelong.

Perfect opportunity to make people second guess where he might be headed.

My bad... forgot to take into account the 2 different contract status's. Too emotional with how we have pushed away a bloke that would be super important when libba goes.
There will be more he said, she said come out once the actual trade period starts but I think the club has handled Baz as well as they could during his time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great analogy, definitely going to use that one. 👍🏼

Devils advocate on Smith being in a box at the Hawks v Pies game, why wouldn’t you make sure you get seen at the game and even tell the recruitment manager you’ll be there as all the media are queuing up to report that you’re headed to Geelong.

Perfect opportunity to make people second guess where he might be headed.
I would be guessing there's enough smoke bombs out there already

There will be more he said, she said come out once the actual trade period starts but I think the club has handled Baz as well as they could during his time.
Not knocking the club at all, unfortunately for him some of our mids are not great anywhere else, where as he can still do jobs. Just had to be patient.

Come on man, we've had one single digit pick since Selwood.

This, I think we’ve picked top 10 two times total since Selwood

Nakia Cockatoo and Jhye Clark which wasn’t even our own pick it was Gold Coast’s so that doesn’t even really count.

Geelong would be like the last place to bag a team for development. I believe like 13 of the 22 in the 2022 Grand Final side were guys taken outside of the first round of the draft with about 8 being guys who were Rookie Draft selections.

Insanely good recruiting, hence Stephen Wells reputation as the best in the business.

But in relation to Baz, you can see the allure.
A club that has an enviable reputation for helping guys achieve success in and outside of footy that will compete every year but with a coach that gives players almost free autonomy to do things in their own time that don’t follow a strict footy schedule. Isaac Smith said it was a huge selling point for him as did Jezza.

Not knocking the club at all, unfortunately for him some of our mids are not great anywhere else, where as he can still do jobs. Just had to be patient.
The opportunity is more than there for him at the Dogs, Libba and Treloar are not getting any younger. Like I’ve said numerous times reason 1A for leaving will be cash pure and simple. He’ll dress it up as change of life style living in Geelong (good luck getting caught at train crossing near Cotton On!) or returning to the team he supported in Hawthorn (driving to Dingley, good times) but he is getting significantly more money from other teams.

I think we’ve picked top 10 two times total since Selwood

Nakia Cockatoo and Jhye Clark which wasn’t even our own pick it was Gold Coast’s so that doesn’t even really count.

Geelong would be like the last place to bag a team for development. I believe like 13 of the 22 in the 2022 Grand Final side were guys taken outside of the first round of the draft with about 8 being guys who were Rookie Draft selections.

Insanely good recruiting, hence Stephen Wells reputation as the best in the business.

But in relation to Baz, you can see the allure.
A club that has an enviable reputation for helping guys achieve success in and outside of footy that will compete every year but with a coach that gives players almost free autonomy to do things in their own time that don’t follow a strict footy schedule. Isaac Smith said it was a huge selling point for him as did Jezza.

It was part of the Jack Bowes trade, so it counts as a top 10 pick.

That would be like a Hawthorn supporter saying Luke Hodge wasn’t the #1 draft pick in 2001, because the original pick was Fremantle’s. So Graham Pollack was the actual #1 pick, as that is who Fremantle drafted with their first pick.

IMG_0025.gif

It was part of the Jack Bowes trade, so it counts as a top 10 pick.

That would be like a Hawthorn supporter saying Luke Hodge wasn’t the #1 draft pick in 2001, because the original pick was Fremantle’s. So Graham Pollack was the actual #1 pick, as that is who Fremantle drafted with their first pick.

View attachment 2060258

But it wasn’t our pick…it was Gold Coast’s. Did you not read what I said? GEELONG didn’t have their OWN picks in the top 10 after Selwood selection.
It was literally Nakia Cockatoo. That’s it!
The Clark pick is nothing like the Hodge pick because Hawthorn required giving up pieces to get that Priority pick that just happened to go Number 1 in the first place.
Cats took a salary dump in Bowes to get the Pick 7, basically gave up nothing.

Not even remotely the same situations.

Major whooosh on you, maybe you should be applying the Billy Madison scene to yourself…

Last edited:
But it wasn’t our pick…it was Gold Coast’s. Did you not read what I said? GEELONG didn’t have their OWN picks in the top 10 after Selwood selection.
The Clark pick is nothing like the Hodge pick because Hawthorn required giving up pieces to get that Priority pick that just happened to go Number 1 in the first place.

Major whooosh on you, maybe you should be applying the Billy Madison scene to yourself…
I'm not sure this is worth an argument. People are just taking about different things at each other

Regardless of how you think the thread should be addressed the Billy Madison clip is arguably the GOAT so let’s acknowledge and then get back to screwing the cats to the wall for draft picks for smith!

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Back