Trade Requested Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Sir, this is a Bailey Smith thread

Careful now, apparently we are a monolith as Geelong supporters and having different opinions makes us "backtrackers"
Every club is a hive mind.
If you're not part of it, you're not a real supporter.

Thought everyone knew this?

/s

The one thing Cats are good at is identify trade targets. Not sure why cats fans would be worried about getting smith even if he costs 2 firsts.

If i was to hazard a guess based on the 50 or so pages of discussion on Baz in the Cats threads.....most feel with how Cats management have dealt with negotiating for actual legit superstars and not just very very good players like Baz, that there's a major difference in value.

Especially when the two guys (Danger and Jez) were not only superstars, but were both great clubmen, very professional and were very self sacrificing which fit right in with how Geelong has structured their player pay for roughly 20 years.
And Baz is Out of Contract...coming off not playing in 18 months. The other two were genuinely putting in AA calibre seasons in 2015 and 2020 before they joined.

With Baz there's a tonne of unknown.
We've dealt with cases like him multiple times.

Sometimes it works eg Stengle

Sometimes it doesn't eg Jack Steven and Mitch Clark.

People like CatToTheFuture, Kobe Gryant and myself are all probably more leaning towards making Baz a priority and are willing to overlook the potential issues as his talent/work ethic are unquestionable.

But as you've seen in this very thread and if you trawl the cats board, many don't think he's worth the risks at that price and ABSOLUTELY not at two first round picks.

Probably 50/50 if you polled Cats fans if they were asked if right now they'd want Baz....when 6 years rumours came out i think a fair few changed their minds and leaned more to "not worth it"

Last edited:
If i was to hazard a guess based on the 50 or so pages of discussion on Baz in the Cats threads.....most feel with how Cats management have dealt with negotiating for actual legit superstars and not just very very good players like Baz, that there's a major difference in value.

Especially when the two guys (Danger and Jez) were not only superstars, but were both great clubmen, very professional and were very self sacrificing which fit right in with how Geelong has structured their player pay for roughly 20 years.
And Baz is Out of Contract...coming off not playing in 18 months. The other two were genuinely putting in AA calibre seasons in 2015 and 2020 before they joined.

People like CatToTheFuture, Kobe Gryant and myself are all probably more leaning towards making Baz a priority and are willing to overlook the potential issues as his talent/work ethic are unquestionable.

But as you've seen in this very thread and if you trawl the cats board, many don't think he's worth the risks.
Probably 50/50 at the moment but when 6 years rumours came out i think a fair few changed their minds and leaned more to "not worth it"
Jack steven & mitch clark were older players. Also Clark had more a bunch of injuries before joining geelong. Smith has only done the ACL and no long term injuries before that.

Anyway back on Bailey Smith. The manager putting out the feelers for a 6 year deal makes it seem as though neither of the two main reported suitors are all that keen on him.
North, Tigers, Saints would probably all be keen to offer that for him but unsure if he would want to go to any of them. Going to be an interesting couple months for Baz.

Or?...

Like any good player agent, trying to drive the price up with a "Bidding War" that's not an actual bidding war.

Cats offered 5, Baz and team want 6.
No one else giving him that, create a fake "interest" to drive up his bargaining.
Try to see if Cats blink and offer 6.

Happens all the time. Parish was an example last year.

But as you've seen in this very thread and if you trawl the cats board, many don't think he's worth the risks at that price and ABSOLUTELY not at two first round picks.

Probably 50/50 if you polled Cats fans if they were asked if right now they'd want Baz....when 6 years rumours came out i think a fair few changed their minds and leaned more to "not worth it"
I'm probably a microcosm of our supporter bases feelings on him tbh.

I've got a myriad of posts on why I don't want us to get Smith, and then heaps on why I do. It's genuinely changed every few weeks for me.

It's not a direct comparison obviously, but that was never the case with Dangerfield or Cameron, where it was resolute the whole way through by any means necessary.

Would much rather we walk away completely if it's 6 years, and/or more than one first round pick, and those are the only two consistent thoughts I've had since this started.

Or?...

Like any good player agent, trying to drive the price up with a "Bidding War" that's not an actual bidding war.

Cats offered 5, Baz and team want 6.
No one else giving him that, create a fake "interest" to drive up his bargaining.
Try to see if Cats blink and offer 6.

Happens all the time. Parish was an example last year.
If no one offers 6 and he comes back looking for 5 Geelong should change it to 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

...and if he doesn't get to Geelong:

Boy, we dodged a bullet there!
Cats posters:

Pre Trade Week: Smith? Meh...

Trade goes through: Can't believe we got a superstar for such a low price!
You're saying this as if there won't be Dogs supporters doing the exact same thing.

I'm sure some will be glad if he stays, while others have been resigned to his departure for months, and may be disappointed if it doesn't eventuate.

It's the nature of following a sport passionately in unison with millions of others. People aren't always going to agree, even if they've all got the same common goal.

But yeah, the "tHeY aLL tHiNk tHis" method works too.

Our board is 50/50 at best on the proposition of getting Smith at all lmao.
Well that settles it then. The lowest common denominator of Geelong fandom are split.
The "mensa" brains trust.

...and if he doesn't get to Geelong:

Boy, we dodged a bullet there!

Are you referring to Schrödinger's Geelong Cat Theory?

I'm pretty sure every fanbase ever would have fans like this.
Hindsight is 20/20. I'm sure there were tonne's of Cats fans excited for Hopper...then Hopper went to Tigers.

The ones who really wanted him would have been annoyed, others a sigh of relief.
Now based on what's happened i'm sure the ones who wanted him are relieved it didn't happen.

Would much rather we walk away completely if it's 6 years, and/or more than one first round pick, and those are the only two consistent thoughts I've had since this started.

At the very least it’ll be a first and second, most likely two firsts with a second coming back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Back