Trade Requested Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

The irony is at mind melting levels

Geelong have had a great reputation for getting deals done?
Player agents have spoken multiple times about them going above and beyond to make deals happen. Was spoken about in the "Making Their Mark" Doco.

When has Geelong not ever done a deal?

Just because some pissants on BigFooty get uppity about it, doesn't mean actual people in the industry feel the same way.

Geelong have had a great reputation for getting deals done?
Player agents have spoken multiple times about them going above and beyond to make deals happen. Was spoken about in the "Making Their Mark" Doco.

When has Geelong not ever done a deal?

Just because some pissants on BigFooty get uppity about it, doesn't mean actual people in the industry feel the same way.
I'm sure the Pies love dealing with Geelong at the trade table... The lack of self awareness is extraordinary

I do love how Geelong all of a sudden will now slide down the ladder. The team who may as well have the Preliminary Finals named after them at this point.

I'm sure the Pies love dealing with Geelong at the trade table... The lack of self awareness is extraordinary

Wait? You're bringing up the Ollie Henry trade? No ****ing way LOL

They got Tom ****ing Mitchell a Brownlow medallist who was instrumental in them win a Grand Final.
Do you even hear the shit coming out of your mouth? They agreed to the trade so OBVIOUSLY they liked the deal.

Cats lost their own First Round Pick player in Cooper Stephens in that deal too.

The lack of self awareness from a Carlton fan who picked up Jack Martin how again? How about that Nick Stevens deal? Weren't you guys being ****wits at the trade table over them? Or does that not apply because Baggers do no wrong?

Anyway, enough clown talk....it's getting sidetracked here, talking about Preseason Drafts which basically never happen. 🤦‍♂️

A deal will get done by Dogs, Bailey and which ever clubs he nominates.
Should hear more from this soon.

Wait? You're bringing up the Ollie Henry trade? No ****ing way LOL

They got Tom ****ing Mitchell a Brownlow medallist who was instrumental in them win a Grand Final.
Do you even hear the shit coming out of your mouth? They agreed to the trade so OBVIOUSLY they liked the deal.

Cats lost their own First Round Pick player in Cooper Stephens in that deal too.

The lack of self awareness from a Carlton fan who picked up Jack Martin how again? How about that Nick Stevens deal? Weren't you guys being ****wits at the trade table over them? Or does that not apply because Baggers do no wrong?
Jeez talk about an all time melt

Jeez talk about an all time melt
"Someone said something i don''t like so it's a melt"
You're sidetracking the conversation. This is a Bailey Smith thread.

Below is all that matters
Anyway, enough clown talk....it's getting sidetracked here, talking about Preseason Drafts which basically never happen. 🤦‍♂️

A deal will get done by Dogs, Bailey and which ever clubs he nominates.
Should hear more from this soon.

After last night’s performance. I’m really hoping we don’t get screwed in a trade with Baz

Work your magic Sam Power

After last night’s performance. I’m really hoping we don’t get screwed in a trade with Baz

Work your magic Sam Power

I'm sure whoever he deals with will come to the table.
There's a lot of bluster on places like BigFooty and Reddit, the list managers will get in there and work it out quickly.

Any other media spin put on it is for "show"
They have to get people tuning in during the offseason.
That's why they changed the name from "Trade Week" to "Trade Period" so they could generate interest for longer.
Interest = clicks and views = more interest = $$$ for the AFL

I do love how Geelong all of a sudden will now slide down the ladder. The team who may as well have the Preliminary Finals named after them at this point.

I hope we don't. I'd love to make finals again in 2025. But I'm not seeing it, unless - as I've mentioned - we have an absolutely charmed run with injuries.

The ruck situation needs to be resolved. Ollie Henry and Shannon Neale probably need to give us 70+ goals between them. Tanner Bruhn needs to take the next step. A couple of the Jhye Clark, Ted Clohesy, Mitch Knevitt group need to become walk-up starts in the senior side. Connot O'Sullivan would be expected to progress to the senior side. Lawson Humphries and Ollie Dempsey need to continue their development.

A LOT can go wrong especially when we'll have approximately 2,000 games of experience retired over the past three years from the core 2022 premiership squad (not including the likes of C.Guthrie and Duncan, or Dahlhaus and Higgins to that inflate that tally either).

I hope we don't. I'd love to make finals again in 2025. But I'm not seeing it, unless - as I've mentioned - we have an absolutely charmed run with injuries.

The ruck situation needs to be resolved. Ollie Henry and Shannon Neale probably need to give us 70+ goals between them. Tanner Bruhn needs to take the next step. A couple of the Jhye Clark, Ted Clohesy, Mitch Knevitt group need to become walk-up starts in the senior side. Connot O'Sullivan would be expected to progress to the senior side. Lawson Humphries and Ollie Dempsey need to continue their development.

A LOT can go wrong especially when we'll have approximately 2,000 games of experience retired over the past three years from the core 2022 premiership squad (not including the likes of C.Guthrie and Duncan, or Dahlhaus and Higgins to that inflate that tally either).
Who cares about the 2022 squad. You're in a preliminary final this year. Which players who meaningfully contributed this year won't be there next year?

Who cares about the 2022 squad. You're in a preliminary final this year. Which players who meaningfully contributed this year won't be there next year?

If we're going to be such an amazing team next year, why would we need to sell the farm for Smith? See how that works? We're keen on him because we think he can fill a pretty significant hole in our senior team.

48 hours is a long time in football. Everyone expected us to be cannon fodder for the Dogs or Hawks in a semi final a couple of days ago. We've capitalised on an incredibly uneven, unpredictable and inconsistent season and put ourselves in a position for a smash and grab flag unlike anything I can really remember. Maybe the Bulldogs in 2016, though they did it the hard way on the road in another incredibly even and open season.

We lose Stanley, Tuohy, Hawkins, Parfitt possibly Bews, possibly Rohan. Blicavs is nowhere near the player he was. We'll be doing well to get two thirds of a season out of Dangerfield. Stewart's had his injury concerns this season and turns 32 at the start of next year. More will go next year. It's not the year for us to be taking a bye in the first round of the draft.

Combine it all and we're losing a ton of experience, with little to no proven depth in a number of areas as we head into the silly season. Maybe we'll be good in 2025. I'd suggest there's a very good chance we're at 2023 level or worse and would risk the future first we threw in to sweeten the Bailey Smith deal being our "Oh, crap", Jacob Hopper, Lachie Schulz moment.

Last edited:
If we're going to be such an amazing team next year, why would we need to sell the farm for Smith? See how that works? We're keen on him because we think he can fill a pretty significant hole in our senior team.

48 hours is a long time in football. Everyone expected us to be cannon fodder for the Dogs or Hawks in a semi final a couple of days ago. We've capitalised on an incredibly uneven, unpredictable and inconsistent season and put ourselves in a position for a snatch and grab flag unlike anything I can really remember. Maybe the Bulldogs in 2016, though they did it the hard way on the road in another incredibly even and open season.

We lose Stanley, Tuohy, Hawkins, Parfitt possibly Bews, possibly Rohan. Blicavs is nowhere near the player he was. We'll be doing well to get two thirds of a season out of Dangerfield. Stewart's had his injury concerns this season and turns 32 at the start of next year. More will go next year. It's not the year for us to be taking a bye in the first round of the draft.

Combine it all and we're losing a ton of experience, with little to no proven depth in a number of areas as we head into the silly season. Maybe we'll be good in 2025. I'd suggest there's a very good chance we're at 2023 level or worse and would risk the future first we threw in to sweeten the Bailey Smith deal being our "Oh, crap", Jacob Hopper, Lachie Schulz moment.
I mean Smith is a good player who'd make every team better. Even if a team won the flag they'd try and get him.

You obviously know better than I but I don't think those players you mentioned contributed a lot this year? Of those first 6 you mentioned only Touhy played more than half the year in the Seniors. You'd hope their contribution would be offset by the improvement of Holmes, Bruhn, SDK, Neale, Bowes et al, as well as the addition of Smith?

Fwiw I don't think your future first will be involved either. I'm just not buying that you'll slide meaningfully down the ladder

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This team is about to have more retirements than its had since 2020. Falling down the ladder is more likely. If we didnt trade a future 1st 2 years ago we wouldnt do it now.

I mean Smith is a good player who'd make every team better. Even if a team won the flag they'd try and get him.

You obviously know better than I but I don't think those players you mentioned contributed a lot this year? Of those first 6 you mentioned only Touhy played more than half the year in the Seniors. You'd hope their contribution would be offset by the improvement of Holmes, Bruhn, SDK, Neale, Bowes et al, as well as the addition of Smith?

Fwiw I don't think your future first will be involved either. I'm just not buying that you'll slide meaningfully down the ladder

Look some of the retiring guys arent contributing massively this year yes. And the younger ones will improve.
But if say hawk rohan stanley bews tuohy parfitt go it leaves you with cameron, stewart, blicavs, guthrie, danger, duncan as over 30s.
The first 2 are elite but blicavs is not what he was, guthries barely played in 2 years, danger wont play more than 2/3 of season and duncan is almost done.

Our kids are very good but the middle age bracket (24-28) while its full of some very decent role players doesnt have many stars in it. The under 23s are developing well but most of them arent ready yet and if we get a few injuries it will expose them too early and we will slide. Now we might try and draft some mature agers again this year to fill gaps but its not a year to risk trading a future 1st for us or it will burn us like it did collingwood.

I guess my thinking is it probably looks a bit better on paper than I think it will end up. Neale, for example has performed well in a tough role in my opinion, but if he (or O.Henry for that matter) drops off, it's unclear who comes in for them. It's unclear what we're going to do in the ruck: Conway was expected take over the mantle in 24/25 and his season's over with foot surgery.

Our VFL side in today's final was packed with AFL names, including Hawkins, de Koning, Guthrie, Rohan and Parfitt, along with 'next generation' types like Knevitt, Clark and O'Sullivan and were just blown off the park at home by a stand-alone VFL side (Southport). I'd say from today's performance, de Koning is the only one who would be considered for the AFL side from here, barring injury. Yet we'll be expecting several of these players to be consistent contributors to the AFL side next year, if we're to go anywhere.

Maybe I have the blinkers on because I've felt this way for a long time, long before Bailey Smith was on the radar. I thought we might be bad this year, but we also had the potential to be really good, that we had the potential to go either way. I've never really had that open mind about 2025. I reckon it's the crash year.

I doubt he announces with Geelong & Hawthorn still in the finals.

He can't control what the Dogs leak out of his exit interview though, so it probably does come out some time next week.
Hawthorn have no bearing on this now, from all I’ve heard.

Pies got Krueger cheap as chips from us, swings and roundabouts. It’s only clueless fans that don’t get it but keep trying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Back