Trade Requested Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure how you drew that conclusion. I'll assume you're not misconstruing my post in bad faith.

A player will generally publicly nominate a club only if they're certain a deal can be done.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if there's an "in principal" deal wasn't already agreed between Smith's manager, his chosen club and the Digs.

Correct and they will pay reasonable value.

You may not think it's reasonable value, but the Bulldogs will.

As to contract status - it means everything. The threat of making Smith stay to finish his contract is 100 times more likely than throwing him into the PSD.

Holding a player to their contract is entirely reasonable and nobody would seriously begrudge the Dogs doing it if it were the case. But it's not the case.

At the end of the day they, as an employer, haven't made a compelling case for an employee to stay with them before his contract finished. So he's off to find somewhere that suits him better. That's his right.

The clubs will figure it out and I'm sure you'll be dissatisfied regardless.

If the deal is reasonable I will not be dissatisfied at all.

Your logic around culture, cooler heads prevailing, etc are perfectly pragmatic. Adding grenades like “won’t be the deal Dogs are after” infers you believe the Dogs should and will accept under fair market value. This context is not bad faith on my part, these are the words you’ve chosen.

It does appear we are saying much the same thing regarding a reasonable deal being struck. Your verbiage holds a lean towards a preferable outcome for the Cats, this partiality weakens your argument.

I reckon the PSD threat will be at play. Actually wouldn't mind that option at all. I don't particuarly like Smith and the club has got to stop letting itself get ****ed over in these trades

Honestly, I reckon it will be the Cats that he picks.

I then think the Cats will package some picks, and perhaps players to move up to a team needing draft points, in order to get a pick that will satisfy the Dogs range.

Cats will then forward that pick to the Dogs, with a pick swap or two somewhere as change.

I doubt it will be complicated and prolonged as some may think.

didnt smith recently post a photo on insta in Torquay holding a cat lol

The trade was 13, 15, 20, F4 for Cameron F2 Cats, F2 Essendon.

It's essentially 13 & 15 for cameron then splitting a late first and a 4th round for 2 2nd rounders.

In that scenario the trade with current picks would be like 16, F1, 36, F4 for 44 & F3 from the dogs.

I actually don't mind that.
Makes sense, although Smith isn’t in the same stratosphere as Cameron so just take out the F1 and it’s sorted.

I’m probably in the minority on our board, but I believe Geelong should trade our future R1 for Smith. Would rather keep our picks for this year’s draft (which is supposedly deeper/better), whilst Dogs very likely to end up with a better pick which is a better reflection of his value. Unfortunately clubs rarely get full value for OOC players (especially those coming off an ACL and a couple of subpar/injury interrupted seasons) and Dogs will be no different with Smith.
I wonder if we could trade our F1 for two later first rounders?

I think most people would expect Geelong to fall in 2025 compared to this year - so perhaps a club needing points or a pick next season might be able to trade some picks this year.

e.g.
Gold Coast's 13 and 20
Sydney's 18 and 19
Fremantle's 10 and 17
Richmond if they get a couple of late firsts as part of trades?
(Some or all of these might include later picks or swaps)

Then flick one to the Doggies with our first this year, and keep the other one.

It wont be F3 in any case, It will be first rounder + fringe player they are after. Up to Geelong to figure out how to get the fringe player in for them I suspect. Doggies would have another James Harmes they are after somewhere. They could easuly get that player in for pick swaps next year and the like

They also fed and clothes Bailey Smith and his ability to eat and wear clothes benefited him greatly. Should Doggies be reimbursed for all the meals they gave Smith during his time at the club?
If you check his instagram, we didn't give him a shirt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah that is wrong. Gotta look at the clubs reports. YOu got 20.5 mill in AFL revenue but then you got 2.2 million for the Whitten redevelopment from the AFL and then 6 million dollars for your academy for some random reason

The AFL gave $393.8 million to AFL clubs last year. The fact that you are solely focusing on what we received from the AFL, in order to make a point about Smiths medical bills, is pretty disingenuous to be honest.

I then think the Cats will package some picks, and perhaps players to move up to a team needing draft points, in order to get a pick that will satisfy the Dogs range.

Cats will then forward that pick to the Dogs, with a pick swap or two somewhere as change.

I think you're right...and wrong.

Right, because I suspect the two clubs would already be talking about fair value, so the Cats will already know what they have to sort out trade-wise.

Wrong, because if there's no other big name this trade period, AFL media will need something to hang on to for those two weeks and build up faux "will they, won't they" anticipation until the final 5 minutes...and AFL House will oblige.

If the deal is reasonable I will not be dissatisfied at all.

Your logic around culture, cooler heads prevailing, etc are perfectly pragmatic. Adding grenades like “won’t be the deal Dogs are after” infers you believe the Dogs should and will accept under fair market value. This context is not bad faith on my part, these are the words you’ve chosen.

It does appear we are saying much the same thing regarding a reasonable deal being struck. Your verbiage holds a lean towards a preferable outcome for the Cats, this partiality weakens your argument.

It won't be the deal the Dogs want, it'll be the "reasonable" deal the clubs agree on eventually (if they haven't already).

Footscray have little leverage, but Geelong aren't going to massively burn a bridge with a club they may have trade with in future. It makes no strategic sense to do so.

Oh im being very disingenious but im just saying you cant cry poor when you get such a crapload of free money that others simply do not... Gotta just move on with your lives is all im saying

I just went on with it cos once I read the report fully I didnt realise how good you had it with your redevelopment project. The leg up you got is simply insane. Between State govt, Fed govt, Vic university and local council 62 mill of the 77.6 mill has been from them and with the grants given you have basically turned the 62 mill intp atleast +9 mill in your coffers from it. Its fairly crazy. Sorry Im on a rant thats got nothing to do with Bailey Smith but just blew me away is all

Have you seen the facility mate? It’s not just for footy. It offers much much more than that.

The impact on the local community and surrounding suburbs will be huge.

We aren’t crying poor either - go and check what other clubs received from the AFL. We didn’t even receive the most - in fact nowhere near it. Some pretty big clubs not far away from us too. AFL revenue back to clubs isn’t some new thing..

and now we enter the part of the year where fans of clubs trading players in find a way to talk down the value of their targets, before switching about face once the deal is done. Must be Sptember
Yes it's actually amusing seeing this play out on all the threads when player X nominates a club.

Departing clubs fans "he's a gun"; " two firsts"
Receiving clubs fans "he's not that good"; "two seconds and one coming back" etc

All variations of the above

I think you're right...and wrong.

Right, because I suspect the two clubs would already be talking about fair value, so the Cats will already know what they have to sort out trade-wise.

Wrong, because if there's no other big name this trade period, AFL media will need something to hang on to for those two weeks and build up faux "will they, won't they" anticipation until the final 5 minutes...and AFL House will oblige.
It’s all about Trade Radio I remember the good old days when Trade period only lasted for a week

Yes it's actually amusing seeing this play out on all the threads when player X nominates a club.

Departing clubs fans "he's a gun"; " two firsts"
Receiving clubs fans "he's not that good"; "two seconds and one coming back" etc

All variations of the above
You forgot the PSD threat

Nobody else is chasing him

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Back