Trade Requested Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair. I can’t see us getting more than a second round pick for Macrae. He won’t be worth nearly as much as Baz.
I actually have no idea how to value Macrae. His contract is ok for a big ball winning midfielder, it's fine if he's the old Macrae. But you're playing a big, slowish, accumulator away from the guts so it looks to me like he is actively hurting you. But he's not zero value to other clubs so you should get something. I have no idea on that one truthfully.

I actually have no idea how to value Macrae. His contract is ok for a big ball winning midfielder, it's fine if he's the old Macrae. But you're playing a big, slowish, accumulator away from the guts so it looks to me like he is actively hurting you. But he's not zero value to other clubs so you should get something. I have no idea on that one truthfully.

If played in the guts, he’s still in the top echelon of midfielders. Could easily rack up over 30 damaging disposals. His problem is that he’s not super effective at any other role, too slow for the wing etc.

He’d do well at Saints or North, and they probably have plenty of room to fit his contract. Dogs would ask for a late first but would have to happy with anything from 20-40 considering that’s 700k we can put towards the Butters offer.

If played in the guts, he’s still in the top echelon of midfielders. Could easily rack up over 30 damaging disposals. His problem is that he’s not super effective at any other role, too slow for the wing etc.

He’d do well at Saints or North, and they probably have plenty of room to fit his contract. Dogs would ask for a late first but would have to happy with anything from 20-40 considering that’s 700k we can put towards the Butters offer.
Yeah I think that's the list management scenario in a nutshell. Macrae and Smith aren't getting to their preferred position past Edwards and now Sanders (who i was very disappointed didn't get to our pick).

Side note, I wonder how history plays out if Hawks went Curtin for kp player, then dogs get Watson. Flip that one player and I think you flip the finals result.

Probably start as a second with a third round pick going back. Saints might ask for more coming back or a straight third. Both positions close enough to find common ground fairly quickly.

Yeah I think that's the list management scenario in a nutshell. Macrae and Smith aren't getting to their preferred position past Edwards and now Sanders (who i was very disappointed didn't get to our pick).

Side note, I wonder how history plays out if Hawks went Curtin for kp player, then dogs get Watson. Flip that one player and I think you flip the finals result.

We were murdered in the middle. That wouldn’t have made much of a difference imo.

I know you're just passing the info along, so not a shot at you, but this rumour-mill and trash-talk of the highest order.

We have a 9-day trade period that doesn't start until the 9th of October (i.e. almost a month away), and media are already screaming "oh noes, he may go to the PSD!!!!!!1111" (and probably rubbing their hands with glee as to how they can dramatise the s**t out of this).

Sure, it's great theatre and gives everyone here the chance to blow this thread to page 500 before a deal is struck, but I'd be very surprised if the two clubs aren't privately discussing this firmly but respectfully.

Spot on, PSD threats are just silly. Clubs are much more professional than that. Especially going on both Cat’s history and Dogs history through trades.

Umm we getting Butters as well. Did you not see Jizza wording him up last week after the game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Esava Ratugolea currently playing for Port?
There’s your answer.
A fringe player trade that went down to the last minute?

Yes. An answer indeed.

A fringe player trade that went down to the last minute?

Yes. An answer indeed.

I don’t believe for a second that deal wasn’t in place much earlier, Mackie basically said deal was done much earlier in the day but they had to “fine tune some stuff”
There was nothing interesting happening last Trade Period so they had to draw something out because Sav was literally the only “interesting” thing to talk about. Trade Period is their vehicle to generate interest in footy when there is no footy.

“Rumours/stories” = clicks and views = more investment = $$$$ spent on AFL

Media sensationalism at its finest to draw out something from nothing.

They won’t have that problem this year with Barras and Baz and I’m sure there will be more to come eg. Stringer, Bolton, Baker, Noble etc

Last edited:
I don’t believe for a second that deal wasn’t in place much earlier, Mackie basically said deal was done much earlier in the day but they had to “fine tune some stuff”
There was nothing interesting happening last Trade Period so they had to draw something out because Sav was literally the only “interesting” thing to talk about. Trade Period is their vehicle to generate interest in footy when there is no footy.

“Rumours/stories” = clicks and views = more investment = $$$$ spent on AFL

Media sensationalism at its finest to draw out something from nothing.

They won’t have that problem this year with Barrass, Baz, Stringer and I’m sure there will be more to come.
It’s all about trade radio this is the media's grand final should just have the trade period last a week

Interesting to see how this one goes. Geelong have been pretty hard negotiators on players they want to retain. Not sure whether they can behave the same way when the shoe is on the other foot. It's actually not ideal to lose a best 22 player to a fellow contender. If he goes to the PSD then he just ends up at Richmond who Dogs will smash next year anyway.

That is a complete losing situation for the dogs. We'd happily take our picks to the drafts or save them up for Harley Reid when he wants to come back to paradise.
Who's going to want to request a trade to a club who just lets them end up at some other random club because they tried being stingy?

Who's going to want to request a trade to a club who just lets them end up at some other random club because they tried being stingy?
For sure. "Hey Bailey, we really rate you. But we really want to get you for unders so let's just wait and see what happens, hopefully the Dogs take the deal"

Interesting to see how this one goes. Geelong have been pretty hard negotiators on players they want to retain. Not sure whether they can behave the same way when the shoe is on the other foot. It's actually not ideal to lose a best 22 player to a fellow contender. If he goes to the PSD then he just ends up at Richmond who Dogs will smash next year anyway.

Oh well, if it doesn't work it then it doesn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Back