Trade Requested Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it weird to say the ACL shouldn't really matter when discussing his value?

If your club chases him and offers a reported 5-6 year deal on big money (as in will likely be the highest paid mid at your club once he signs), then obviously you don't believe the knee is an issue and his health has been ticked off. If you offer him big contract for a lot of years, it's sort of hard to turn around and then say ahh yeah the trade value isn't good though because his knee is stuffed. Why are you investing heavily in him then?

I've seen it quoted on BigFooty that the deal isn't for 5 or 6 years, it's actually only on 4 for lower money than expected and that the report of "6 yEaRs" was probably coming from his agent to get more years/dollars. But we don't know obviously until it all comes out.

I do agree on this premise until we suffered the same thing with Ratugolea where Port gave him 5 years on way bigger money than expected and then didn't want to give up more than a late 3rd rounder for him.
So by that logic, Cats can claim the same with Smith right? Oh we'll pay him but hes also OOC so we don't have to give up much?

Last edited:

Exactly, why can't we be hard on others teams?....you guys will sit here and say dumb shit like this.
May as well play hardball, people are gonna hate either way.
Maybe if your club didn't call ours telling us that you weren't going hard for Smith ... and then that sly prick Scott sits on AFL360 and denies it.

I look forward to seeing CottonOn paying Smith a fair bit more and the AFL looking the other way

Last edited:
Oh by losing out on players you mean like Prime Tim Kelly and Jordan Clark who now is a AA squad level talent?

Not to mention prime Gary Ablett for basically nothing.
Geelong wouldn't let Kelly go home for family reasons and then played hard ball despite him not being contracted the following year. You're now crying poor that the dogs want more than a crap pick in the 20s for Smith who you know will be your key piece in the midfield

The fact you can't see it is the problem. Take your blinkers off

Geelong wouldn't let Kelly go home for family reasons and then played hard ball despite him not being contracted the following year. You're now crying poor that the dogs want more than a crap pick in the 20s for Smith who you know will be your key piece in the midfield

Hang on? Tim was happy to stay. He left because he has two children with disabilities and his wife wanted support.
Tim said the whole time he was happy to play for the Cats
Cats did everything to support him through that time, went above and beyond.

Also, i've been saying we should pay 2024 First and multiple seconds so i don't think your gripe is with me.
I've been offering suggestions of a lot more than what other Cats fans reckon.

I even entertained the idea of trading for a better first this year. You know, trying to be reasonable and all that?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor widdle Geelong. Always so hard done by.

Who has rorted Geelong exactly?
We’ve lost Krueger, Clarke, Caddy, McCarthy just to name a few for under, it happens, we just don’t bitch and moan about it so much..

As opposed to sooking about offers for Smith and comparing him to Tim Kelly who nearly won a Brownlow?
Smith is a good player, but he has never been on that level...ever

Keep that same energy right? The logic applies the same.
It wasn't even a dogs supporter who made that connection yet you keep running with it.

I said Geelong played hardball with WC for Kelly and didn't let him leave initially, but now you are crying poor that the dogs want something resembling fair value for Smith.

So just to be clear on this. Your proposing to lose smith for nothing instead of accepting a first round pick this year?

Must be nice to afford not getting a first rounder.

Yeah I wouldn't mind it. I don't think missing out on a pick in the 20's will break our list build. We've already just had a year without any contribution from Smith so we know what that looks like already 🤷‍♂️

It wasn't even a dogs supporter who made that connection yet you keep running with it.

I said Geelong played hardball with WC for Kelly and didn't let him leave initially, but now you are crying poor that the dogs want something resembling fair value for Smith.

I'm not crying poor? Where did i say that i didn't want to give up picks for Smith?
Again, i said above that If i was running the show I would would even look to try and move up to get a better first if it came to that.
Think you're applying a broad brush and assuming we all think the same way. But then you guys sit here and say Cats are assholes for playing hardball...yet other teams do the exact same thing and suddenly that logic doesn't apply.

You say that as if that’s a good deal. Sam Power would burst into tears laughing if Geelong came to the table with that.

I think you guys are severely overrating Smith's value. I know i personally am a bigger fan of Smith than most Cats fans but even i'd walk away if it came down to trading multiple firsts. That's just me though, someone else may feel different.
I would look to improve our own First but yeah multiple firsts? I personally wouldn't do it.

I think you guys are severely overrating Smith's value. I know i personally am a bigger fan of Smith than most Cats fans but even i'd walk away if it came down to trading multiple firsts. That's just me though, someone else may feel different.
I would look to improve our own First but yeah multiple firsts? I personally wouldn't do it.

Likewise, the club will walk if that is the case.
Smith is worth a high end first and then throw in the steak knives to sweeten the deal.

If Smith's knee remains sturdy for the rest of his career, Geelong will win this trade in a landslide as they likely pickup a bloke who can hover around the top 10 players in the competition for multiple years.

Multiple firsts is way too broad when speaking out a player's value, I don't know why AFL media always do this, it's such a massive range of value.

Multiple firsts being picks 7 and 10 - Yep too much to trade

Multiple firsts being picks 20 and 18 - not an amazing haul for a guy of the calibre of Bailey Smith, but is probably pretty fair value in an out of contract player trade. Especially if it ended up with the dogs giving later picks back also...

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Back