Trade Requested Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Won't be 15 and 35 on draft night. It will be about pick 20 and 38. Would you be happy with that?
I would rate Smith at a pick in the range of 8-14 and I'm not talking points value which is bs value.
Yeah I'd be happy with that. We will still have access to the same players just a few picks later.

If you read what Geelong supporters are saying here there's a good chance that next year's first will be top 10 😏

Even though most of those leaving have barely played this year

Thats not actually true
Tuohy played 18 games
Duncan played 22
Stanley played 14 (although you can argue he would have played none if conway was fit but we are no closer to knowing if he will be fit next year)
Rohan played 12
Hawk played 12 (unti injury)

The only one that got surpassed was bews who spent 3/4 of the year in the vfl but even he got brought back for finals because some of our kids werent ready yet.

Yes some of these guys are not what they were but the real question is do we have the quality ready to come in now and step up? Those watching our vfl team would suggest a few of those kids arent ready so they will either have to improve quickly this offseason or we will need to draft more mature agers like mannagh. Otherwise we will tumble down next year.

It goes both ways PO. That core has aged out, but the kids we have at our disposal are both better, and/or improved since 2022.

You're taunting the Dogs fans here while being so forthright on it all, and leaving no room for ambiguity. Its coming across as disingenuous, whether you're intending it or not.

I actually agree with a lot of what you're saying, and it's certainly a possibility - but hammering the thread like the 2025 ladder is already locked in isn't helping anybody.

The whole reason we're allegedly reluctant to trade the F1 is we're wary of what could happen.

It's what every club would do in this situation, and they have to weigh up the positives and negatives because that's what they're paid to do. It's the way it is.

Dogs supporters might have their own thoughts on that, but they'd be more inclined to see where you're coming from if you mentioned that rather than just spamming "tHe clIff wIlL cOmE" after the side just missed a GF by two kicks.

Thats true and i probably need to choose my words more diplomatically (which isnt my strong suit).
But you are still actually agreeing with me on the core issue which is that geelong are more likely to tumble next year than stay up and a team wont with our profile wont trade a 1st for a guy who isnt reid (because he is generational so if you traded a fr1 for him and it ended up being p2 that would be fine but that value proposition doesnt hold with most players including smith).
People that think we will stay up in 25 just because of the fact that we have previously are looking at the list we used to have, not how it is now.

Thats true and i probably need to choose my words more diplomatically (which isnt my strong suit).
But you are still actually agreeing with me on the core issue which is that geelong are more likely to tumble next year than stay up and a team wont with our profile wont trade a 1st for a guy who isnt reid (because he is generational so if you traded a fr1 for him and it ended up being p2 that would be fine but that value proposition doesnt hold with most players including smith).
People that think we will stay up in 25 just because of the fact that we have previously are looking at the list we used to have, not how it is now.
You wouldn't get Reid for your future first haha.

He would cost multiple firsts, other picks and maybe a player.

The dogs will be betting that Geelong won't be bottom 8 next year and I'd be very surprised if they were when they get another soft draw

You wouldn't get Reid for your future first haha.

He would cost multiple firsts, other picks and maybe a player.

The dogs will be betting that Geelong won't be bottom 8 next year and I'd be very surprised if they were when they get another soft draw

I know that reid would cost 3 firsts.
I wasnt saying trading him for 1 1st.
I was using him as an example of why we wont trade our future 1st this year.

Thats not actually true
Tuohy played 18 games
Duncan played 22
Stanley played 14 (although you can argue he would have played none if conway was fit but we are no closer to knowing if he will be fit next year)
Rohan played 12

The only one that got surpassed was bews who spent 3/4 of the year in the vfl but even he got brought back for finals because some of our kids werent ready yet.

Yes some of these guys are not what they were but the real question is do we have the quality ready to come in now and step up? Those watching our vfl team would suggest a few of those kids arent ready so they will either have to improve quickly this offseason or we will need to draft more mature agers like mannagh. Otherwise we will tumble down next year.
You sort of have already replaced a lot of those players (feel free to put in better options):
Hawkins with Neale
Rohan with O Henry
Tuohy with Holmes
Stanley with Conway
Duncan with Bruhn
Not to mention Smith coming in.
All should be improved next year as well due you their youth.

Some of the oldies will continue on next year as well.

Thats not actually true
Tuohy played 18 games
Duncan played 22
Rohan played 12

The Cats would have won last night if it wasn't for Holmes doing a hammy. He was easily their best player and when he went off was when the Lions got back on top. I don't think they will drop down much next year they always find very good players with low draft picks. Seeing how good Humphries is makes me sick that he got through to pick 63 last year.;)

You sort of have already replaced a lot of those players (feel free to put in better options):
Hawkins with Neale
Rohan with O Henry
Tuohy with Holmes
Stanley with Conway
Duncan with Bruhn
Not to mention Smith coming in.
All should be improved next year as well due you their youth.

Some of the oldies will continue on next year as well.

I dont completely disagree
Hawkins neale has replaced, its inferior and im not confident on neale long term but we probably give him a couple of years before we decide.
Henry has replaced rohan definitely.
Humphries has taken duncans spot
Tuohy was more replaced by mannagh (as holmes already there).
Conway cant really replace anyone yet as hes always injured..we will need to trade or dfa a ruck in for stanley.
Bews probably we havent filled the small back role which is why he came back. Hopefully mullin or a fit oconnor can do that.

The issue is while a lot of those old guys will be replaced best 22 wise the players that have come up for them (mannagh humphries etc) were our best vfl players bar clohesy. So it leaves you with very little depth for injuries.

So if you think geelong are making the 8 next year (i dont) you are betting that either we have an awesome run with injuries or the comp gets worse. Smith alone wont change it.

The Cats would have won last night if it wasn't for Holmes doing a hammy. He was easily their best player and when he went off was when the Lions got back on top. I don't think they will drop down much next year they always find very good players with low draft picks. Seeing how good Humphries is makes me sick that he got through to pick 63 last year.;)

I agree that we would have won if holmes stays fit this illustrates the problem. Our midfield is too dependent for him as its one paced and deficient at clearances. Danger wont play every game anymore if we lose holmes for any length of time we will tumble badly. We overachieved this year thanks to good coaching and luck but we have obvious deficiencies at ruck, midfield,kpf kpd and small defender. If we make the 8 with all that next year (you cant fix it all in one offseason) the comp is weaker than i thought.

I know that reid would cost 3 firsts.
I wasnt saying trading him for 1 1st.
I was using him as an example of why we wont trade our future 1st this year.
The competition understands that the Cats need our support to help them stay on top.

At this stage, we'd all love to see Reid come home (Geelong's "home" for everyone, of course).

Therefore, the Dogs need to do their duty and stop asking for a your F1.

We all know it's the right thing to do 😊

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The competition understands that the Cats need our support to help them stay on top.

At this stage, we'd all love to see Reid come home (Geelong's "home" for everyone, of course).

Therefore, the Dogs need to do their duty and stop asking for a your F1.

We all know it's the right thing to do 😊

Haha well played.
I doubt we will get reid either way (though we will try) so its irrelevant. My point was more about what we will and wont trade this year.

Cats pick is now before Port’s.
Cheers, just found the full list. Didn't even realise North's priority picks were still around clogging up the order post R1 too.
2024 INDICATIVE DRAFT ORDER
ROUND ONE
1 Richmond
2 North Melbourne
3 West Coast
4 Adelaide
5 Melbourne
6 Gold Coast
7 St Kilda
8 Essendon
9 Fremantle
10 Fremantle (tied to Collingwood)
11 Carlton
12 Gold Coast (tied to Western Bulldogs)
13 Hawthorn
14 Greater Western Sydney
15 Geelong
16 Fremantle (tied to Port Adelaide)
17 Brisbane
18 Sydney
19 Sydney (North Melbourne assistance package selection)
20 Gold Coast (North Melbourne assistance package selection)

Come on, mate.

You're welcome to voice your opinion, but in reality no-one on BF knows what clubs will or won't trade.

Time to stop the tough talk.

No one knows anything for certain.

But we are all entitled to discuss on the balance of probabilities. And geelong trading a future 1st is on the balance of that drastically unlikely.

Its a reasonable position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Back