Balme

Remove this Banner Ad

He adds a voice from premiership teams

So does Mick Malthouse, David Parkin, Malcolm Blight. Woop

Stewart Dew won premierships with two different teams. Didnt help him at GC.
Alistair Clarkson hasnt exactly driven North Melbourne to the promised land nor prevented Hawthorns slide after his premiership years.

But Balme lights voice is going to help us. As I said, he probably will but in minor ways but he wont get a say in the coaching department. Which means whats the point.

I hardly think he would take a position if he was just going to be put in a corner

we havent even offered him a position. he is the one limiting his services to Balme light. Which means he has every intention of half arsing it. His rhetoric has been all wrong.

If he said

'Id love to come back and help the club. Im getting older but I will put in the hours I need to achieve what needs to get done in what ever capacity I can'

He didnt say that. He said that he will come and help in a part time capacity.

I dont think thats the rhetoric of someone who is really that interested. Smacks of disinterest but it helps him because its a retirement job.

Its no wonder the AFC havent contacted him. I am not sure in this instance I blame them.

we havent even offered him a position. he is the one limiting his services to Balme light. Which means he has every intention of half arsing it. His rhetoric has been all wrong.

If he said

'Id love to come back and help the club. Im getting older but I will put in the hours I need to achieve what needs to get done in what ever capacity I can'

He didnt say that. He said that he will come and help in a part time capacity.

I dont think thats the rhetoric of someone who is really that interested. Smacks of disinterest but it helps him because its a retirement job.

Its no wonder the AFC havent contacted him. I am not sure in this instance I blame them.
“Every intention of Half arsing it” you know this how,

“Every intention of Half arsing it” you know this how,

Everything about this helping has been about him wanting to move back to Adelaide 1st, him wanting to work in a part time capacity 2nd and helping the club 3rd. Im sure he is a great guy and what ever he does will be a good set of extra eyes on it. but im not sure his rhetoric has been good enough to secure a role at a professional AFL club, i know I am using the term professional very loosely here. As I said, everything feels like this is about what is convenient for him more than helping the club.

Im not against him coming to help by the way, I am just trying to temper the expectations on him because of not only his rhetoric but time is everything. He worked full time in his previous positions for a reason, thats what it takes to get the job done. Reducing that time to only a few hours a week does mean what he does will be very limiting. Plus, he is also in his early 70s with health issues. It will take a few years for things to be implemented and bare the fruits of. Is he going to stick around, or merely just do what he can within 1 to 2 years.

Im not saying dont get him to help, but as a fan base we need to understand what he does will be very limited and small that there is unlikely to be any change in our onfield success.
I hear you but 1/5th of Balme is better than 100% of Kelly - and that is no joke

I also disagree on the notion nothing will change - if it doesnt it wont be because of Balme but because we seem so resistant

Heres how I would utilise Balme - Ive said some of this elsewhere

Have him run his eyes over our squad and give opinions as honest as he can - how other clubs view our list etc

He can do this from home

Have him run his eyes over our management structures - same as the squad - what is the perception from the outside

He can do most of this from home and a general walk around the office chatting to people

I would ask him to write a manifesto on his core beliefs in football and how to apply them. Have they changed over time or is there still things that time cannot change

I would have an office set aside and he can turn up when he wants and people can come and chat to him . If he isnt there so what - wait.

Like a tribal elder or an old con he has vast experience in the system he loves. DONT LET IT GO TO WASTE

Can someone explain to an outsider like me why there is so much reverence for Balme? From my memory Melborne were a basketcase during his tenure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone explain to an outsider like me why there is so much reverence for Balme? From my memory Melborne were a basketcase during his tenure.
As a footy boss (I believe it was?) he was there at Collingwood when they turned it around in the early 2000’s, then at geelong for their 3 flags and then at Richmond for their flags.
So either he’s got extremely good timing to go to clubs when they turn their fortunes around or there’s something about him.
He coached 2 sanfl flags as well.

Last edited:
His wife is from Adelaide and wants to settle here

He's made it clear he'd be open to helping .. albeit not on a full time basis

AFC .. crickets (because we have a club full of dopey campaigners with big ego's that have acheived SFA)

We don't want someone with a history of success coming in and changing anything. We're the AFC, we're already perfect.

Has put his had up to help the Crows & boy do we need all the help we can get.

We should be getting Balme immediately at AFC in any capacity... even part time.

We currently have no quality operators in AFC management & will continue to be mediocre until we get quality football people back into the club.

I think he is contracted to Richmond until the end of next month, possibly even October?
I would imagine they would let him go early but makes sense it has gone very quiet - maybe it will ramp up mid September

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Piece of cake that. It’s amazing what they can do in an angiogram!
I had a stent fitted in 2017, smaller external heart artery near-blockage.
IN on Thursday morning, sedated but awake during procedure (which is almost painless, simple) OUT on Friday morning, had lunch with my Accountant that day.
Incredible what they do now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Balme

Remove this Banner Ad

Back