bands with multiple songwriters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
keen for some input and feedback regarding bands with multiple songwriters, something that has always held some interest for me.

as far as I'm aware it works in a few ways;

1) 2 or more individuals write their own completed songs and bring it to the band, dictating the parts that the rest of the band will play

2) 2 or more individuals write their own material, but allow some scope for interpretation from the other songwriters/band members

3) 2 or more individuals write songs *together*, i.e. work on a single composition - this can also be broken down further, e.g. one person will write lyrics and another will write the music, or someone may focus on the verses and someone else on the chorus ..

There's heaps of bands I like with multiple songwriters, usually two but sometimes three and occasionally more - with these bands, there's always a certain chemistry that makes it work despite the individual songwriters having their own particular approaches and tendencies ...

I don't wanna make this about who is the 'best', just interested in other peoples views and their favourites.

Some well-known and slightly lesser known groups that I can think of :

The Beatles - the classic example, and to me an endlessly fascinating one, the partnership of Lennon & McCartney (with a fair few contributions from George Harrison and a handful from Ringo) is both well-known and shrouded in mystique - it's fairly well documented that in their early recording days, McCartney and Lennon would work 'eyeball to eyeball' on some material, sitting in a room and nutting out songs together. As the Beatles career progressed however this became rarer, as the famed partnership of Lennon and McCartney more frequently preferred to compose on their own.

Fleetwood Mac - three singer/songwriters ... I pick and choose when it comes to these guys, but all three have something to offer imo - Christine McVie has a classic style, kinda 'safe' but executed with a certain class - really strong vocalist too, listen to any of their live stuff and she is always spot-on whereas Stevie Nicks can be all over the shop. Stevie Nicks herself has some amazing songs, but a lot of hers would probably be more collaborative efforts with Lindsey Buckingham, as she wasn't a strong musician early in her career - I get the impression Buckingham would interpret and embellish upon her melodic ideas - but she shouldn't be undersold by any means, she's written some great songs that could only be her.
Lindsey Buckingham is easily the most idiosyncratic of the bands songwriters, although he has a big Beach Boys fetish he proved himself capable of pretty much anything during his heyday - I'd also make a big bet that he was the most autocratic songwriter in the group, he could play everything and would at times attempt to do it all himself without using his fellow band members whatsoever.

Teenage Fanclub - three singer/songwriters, although Gerard Love and Norman Blake are arguably have a stronger body of work than Raymond McGinley - these guys all work the same corner, guitar-based harmony-driven pop songs, but the interest (to me) lies in the distinctive differences in their approaches.
If anyone is known from Teenage Fanclub it's probably Norman Blake, but I think Gerard Love's stuff is more consistent and often just better - the guy can write a sweet bit of power pop.

Gomez - three singer/songwriters - Ian Ball is probably the most versatile and progressive songwriter, Ben Ottewell rightfully tends to showcase his powerful, blues-y vocals and slide guitar work, and Tom Gray likes to dabble in a 60's vibe - I think all three have worked on each others songs, particularly earlier in their career, there's a few jointly-credited compositions among their body of work.

anyway, there are plenty of others I enjoy but this OP has become a small essay; interested to hear if anyone else finds this topic discussion-worthy ..

did they write together or apart? and did one write more material than the other ?
I don't know much about them, have two of their albums on my ipod that I haven't really listened to, might do so now ..

Earlier on together, but then as time went on wrote apart. The competition made for some great records towards the end, but then it also tore them apart.

Check out Zen Arcade, New Day Rising, Candy Apple Grey and Warehouses.

Earlier on together, but then as time went on wrote apart. The competition made for some great records towards the end, but then it also tore them apart.

Check out Zen Arcade, New Day Rising, Candy Apple Grey and Warehouses.

yeah I actually own the first two you listed, just haven't really given them a spin - will do so !

Remember reading somewhere that Queen is the only band where every member wrote either a USA or UK Number 1 song.

Roger Taylor - Drummer
"Radio Ga Ga", "A Kind of Magic","Heaven For Everyone", "Breakthru", "The Invisible Man",[3] and "These Are the Days of Our Lives".[4] as well as co-writing the UK number 1's 'Under Pressure' and 'Innuendo'

John Deacon - Bassist
"You're My Best Friend", "Spread Your Wings", "Back Chat", "I Want to Break Free", and the band's biggest selling single in the United States, "Another One Bites the Dust", as well as a number of album tracks

The writing credits are too numerous and too well known to bother listing for Brian May and Freddie mercury.

Robert Forster and the late Grant McLennan of the Go-Betweens.

Tim and Neil Finn in the golden Split Enz period.

Every Metallica song is written by Hetfield and Ulrich (one is written by just Hetfield though not including Pulling Teeth, which one?) Often they'll have credits from other members, and the last album everyone was credited on every song but it's essentially Hetfield and Lars.

Basically when on tour they compile tapes from jams in the tuning room or even in their hotels and end up with a shitload of riffs. Hetfield and Lars will sift through them all and try to piece them together into some demos and a melody (no lyrics yet) and then they'll go to the studio,hammer the rest out and write lyrics last.

For St Anger they collaboratively made the album, lyrics riffs and all without the riff tapes and you can tell by how shit that was this wasn't a good way for them to operate.

Blondie's original #1's were written by:

HEART OF GLASS - Deborah Harry & Chris Stein
SUNDAY GIRL - Chris Stein
CALL ME - Deborah Harry (with Georgio Moroder)
ATOMIC - Deborah Harry & James Destri
MARIA - James Destri

Frank Infante, Nigel Harrison and Gary Valentine wrote a number of songs that went top 10.
Clem Burke is the only member of Blondie not to have written a song, either solo or in collabaration.

Then of course you have the artists or bands where one person pretty much did everything without any other input at all. Such as:

- Pete Townshend (The Who)
- Ray Davies (The Kinks)
- John Fogerty (Creedence)

In Townshend's case, he not only wrote the songs, he recorded amazing demos (complete with bass and drums) so "arranging" it became a matter of rehearsing, making it sound like the Who (which happened the moment Moon and Entwistle joined in), and recording.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure their are many if not most these days. But The Libertines were an interesting story back then.

I think the more an individual dictates the entire process, the rarer that is. You have things like Wild Nothing where it's one guy playing 90% of the instruments and coming up with all of the bits, but has a cast of guys constantly supporting him live.

Radiohead typically revolve around Thom and Jonny writing things. There's exceptions though, of course, where other members have come up with riffs or ideas that changed the song entirely. But mostly, Thom seems to come in with an acoustic shell of a song which is then fleshed out mostly by Jonny who'll beef it up with guitars, synths, or something more orchestral, the rest of the boys then fill in little parts and it is totally collaborative and fair from there. With Radiohead you tend to see three processes: the acoustic debut live, the fleshed out band version played live, the final one released on album. Sometimes the first or second step there is skipped.

Vampire Weekend seem to have 100% of their songs be constructed 70% by Rostam and Ezra. Sometimes that's begun with an acoustic guitar song (Hannah Hunt), a warped experimentation in sound that becomes way more of a pop song (Campus), an electronic beat made on something like Protools (White Sky), or even with a lyric (I Think Ur a Contra). The foundation is either Ezra or Rostam. The blocks are all Ezra and Rostam. But the lick of paint, the cladding, the tiles, the carpets and tiles... that's by anyone and everyone. And it seems that final set of finishes is the thing that makes their albums take a little longer. They seem to obsess over minor things that would usually go unnoticed.

I'd like to know how Blur did it.

Badfinger.

Pete Ham and Tom Evans would write material individually as well as in a partnership.

Maybe Tomorrow - Tom Evans
No Matter What - Pete Ham
Without You - Tom Evans and Pete Ham

Madness were another band where the whole band wrote songs in different partnerships.

He co-wrote "Boom Boom in the Zoom Zoom Room" from the No Exit album.
Perhaps Blondie's worst ever song. Not something Clem should be proud of or reminded of. :)

BTW (tagging you didn't work). Have you got/heard Ghosts Of Download yet and what do you think of it?

I have got it, but haven't heard all of it yet, but what I've heard I don't mind, but it (like the other "2nd Coming" albums) isn't as good as the originals.

Nah, I love that album and nothing on it is as bad as anything on The Hunter.:eek:

Clem also wrote "Divine" from No Exit with Kathy Valentine.

I don't mind the Hunter, it has taken 30 years but its starting to sound okay. Orchid Club, For Your Eyes Only and War Child have always been great, but now I starting to like songs like English Boys and Little Caesar. Who knows by the time I'm ninety I might like the whole album. :)

And The Hunter is a lot better than No Exit.

Remove this Banner Ad

bands with multiple songwriters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back