Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
Who do you think was the best SA player of all time?

Is it Barrie Robran (3 Magarey medals) or Russell Ebert (4 Magareys)

Discuss.

I watched both play, often directly opposed, often in big matches.

Robran regularly beat Ebert. Both were sublimely skilled however. Robran would, In my opinion, have won more than 3 magarey medals had his career not been interupted by a severe knee injury.

(I will always hate Leigh Matthews for that!)

Both great players for sure.

I saw a lot of Ebert's games and he was the best that I saw.

Robran unfortunately got injured around the time I started going to the games so I didn't see as much of him. I agree he probably would have got another couple of medals if he'd been able to play as long as Ebert did.

Should also remember that Ebert very nearly got 5 medals. Lost by 1 vote to Kym Hodgeman in 1978.

Two other players I remember from that era as possibly being on a par with Robran and Ebert were Malcolm Blight and Phil Carman but they of course moved to the VFL and had great careers there.

Honestly can't say... obviously seen/remember more of Ebert growing up and it would have been interesting to see how Robran would have faired without the knee injury.

By all reports Robran was supremely skillful and naturally gifted... and Ebert was the most complete player I've ever seen play (almost like a generation or 2 ahead of the rest of the comp).

I seriously can't decide.

Only caught the tail end if Ebert's career and never saw Robran play, so can really only go on old timers opinions, but every single non Port supporter reckons Robran and quite a number of Port supporters say Robran as well, so based on that, I'd have to go Robran.

Ebert, no question from video that i've seen was a more allround player

You obviously never saw them both play. Robran could do everything Ebert could do plus he was three inches taller which meant that he was a much better high mark.

You can't judge them just from video. Unfortunately most of the video of Robran was destroyed, the only stuff that you can see whilst he was fit are the two Grand Finals that North won and Robran was best on the ground in both.

Even Russell Ebert's two coaches Fos Williams and John Cahill admit that whilst Ebert was a champion, Robran was something else again.

Interestingly prior to Robran's injury this argument was never discussed, it was always Robran first. The argument at that stage was "Who was the best footballer in Australia, Robran or Jesaulenko?"

Who do you think was the best SA player of all time?

wbMARKSblight.jpg

You obviously never saw them both play. Robran could do everything Ebert could do plus he was three inches taller which meant that he was a much better high mark.

You can't judge them just from video. Unfortunately most of the video of Robran was destroyed, the only stuff that you can see whilst he was fit are the two Grand Finals that North won and Robran was best on the ground in both.

Even Russell Ebert's two coaches Fos Williams and John Cahill admit that whilst Ebert was a champion, Robran was something else again.

Interestingly prior to Robran's injury this argument was never discussed, it was always Robran first. The argument at that stage was "Who was the best footballer in Australia, Robran or Jesaulenko?"

Nah only ever saw bits and pieces from videos here and there, your points are good too hear cheers

Robran....definitely one of the best footballers ever... wayne carey, barrie robran, leigh matthews etc

Ebert champion aswell. but Robran is numero uno from SA

Remove this Banner Ad

Barrie Robran v Russell Ebert

Back