Barry Hall

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm pretty sure they said they were going to downgrade the pick from the get go or am I thinking of the Aker deal?

From my memory of it, we had an agreement with Adelaide whereby we would give the lowest ranking second round pick to Adelaide for Hudson. The reason for this is that we had another trade on the go(can't remember which player) and so it was possible that we could have two second round picks(both reasonably high in the order). So Adelaide are thinking that no matter what happens they will get a high second round pick for Hudson.

Unbeknowns to Rendell(who was new in the position) we do a last minute swifty, and take advantage of the new exchange rule whereby you can exchange picks for picks. We downgrade our second rounder pick for West Coasts(it doesn't affect us as we are trading it to Adelaide anyway) and we pick up an extra third round pick in the process(Sam Reid?). That was my recollection of it, but I could be wrong.

Adelaide was really dudded in that deal because of the last minute exchange we did with West coast, but in some ways it was their own fault for not dotting the i's and crossing the t's. Rendell didn't envisage that Scott Clayton would do that(they are good friends having played football together at Fitzroy) and wasn't really aware of the rule.

So, the exchange that happened with west coast was a combination of Rendells naivety and Scott Claytons rat cunning.

Depending on what side of the fence you sit, it was either pure genius or unethical. It was a great deal for us but it is not going to win us(Or Scotty Clayton with GC17) too many credits with Adelaide in the future if we want a trade badly.

I don't think that Matty Rendell knew that we were going to swap picks like that with West Coast. Scott Clayton took advantage of the new rule and stitched up Adelaide. Unethical or All's fair in love in war? It depends on the side of the fence you are sitting. We did well out of that deal(I think we indirectly received Sam Reid) so I am not complaining. But sometimes things like that can come back to bite you in future drafts.

That was Rendells first draft in that position so it was a steep learning curve for him.

Rendell most definately knew we intended to trade down our pick.

We deal was a 2nd round pick. We had pick 22 and the deal was they would accept any pick from 30 down, anything higher than 30 and we had to add in pick 38.

We deal was a 2nd round pick. We had pick 22 and the deal was they would accept any pick from 30 down, anything higher than 30 and we had to add in pick 38.

That was also my understanding of the deal

He didn't know that we were going to swap our picks with West coast though.

http://sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/eades-trade-treat-37168

And even better for the Dogs was the fact they secured Hudson without meeting Adelaide's initial asking price of the club's second round draft pick - selection number 22 overall.
Instead the Dogs sent their pick 22 and pick 54 to the Eagles in exchange for West Coast's pick 30, 35 and 62 with the Dogs then giving pick 30 and their own third round pick - selection 38 - to the Crows in exchange for Hudson and Adelaide's pick 43.

Adelaide recruiting manager Matt Rendell admitted he was disappointed to lose Hudson and not secure a pick below 30 in return.
"I thought up until the death knock I would get the Bulldogs pick 22 but then they pulled that swifty switching all those picks with West Coast," a relaxed Rendell said following negotiations with Bulldogs recruiting manager and his former Fitzroy teammate Scott Clayton.
"Scott is a good mate of mine but I think he dudded me on that one."

http://sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/eades-trade-treat-37168

Remove this Banner Ad

Barry Hall

Remove this Banner Ad

Back