BBL|08 final Melbourne Renegades versus Melbourne Stars @ Marvel Stadium

Who wins their first title?

• Stars

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Renegades

Votes: 24 63.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Harper the luckiest man around getting chopped only to get picked up late to win the gf.The other side bravo! Love sport..

Harper the luckiest man around getting chopped only to get picked up late to win the gf.The other side bravo! Love sport..
Christian pretty much played Bravo's role (with better form) without taking up an international spot and I'd assume he done so on less money. Big success there for the renegades.

Christian pretty much played Bravo's role (with better form) without taking up an international spot and I'd assume he done so on less money. Big success there for the renegades.
Stars didn't have much luck with their big name recruits.
Bravo now is on longer an all rounder, but still economical as a late innings bowler.
And no one could have foreseen poor Maddinson being hit and his form subsequently dropping off.

Unbelievable day yesterday. I said to the wife that we just needed two quick wickets to put pressure on them to at least make it interesting. I said this at 0/90. Never expected 7/19. The craziest comeback I have ever seen in a sporting contest. Certainly made the trip home a lot more enjoyable.
Hearing Warney losing his mind on the replay as each wicket went down was glorious as well.
Also, how can Dan Christian not be in the national T20 side now? Bloke is a freak and getting better with a age.

If the bbl was like the other codes and had a week long build up to the grand final you could realistically get 80-90k at the G for this. But with the semis and final being a couple of days apart it would be fairly optimistic to think such a crowd is possible. They will get 40k+ tomorrow and that’s good enough. Game should have been at 5pm though. Or even better play the semis one day earlier and have the final on Saturday night.

With the sheer amount of bodies in BBL gear at the Wallan servo on the way home last night I'd say if the game was at night they would have gotten a lot less than 40 000. The start time was perfect for people travelling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More of a build up to a final would be good, as well as adding the second chance for the top 2.

Eg.

1v2 on Friday Night - Winner through to the Grand Final, Loser plays winner of 3v4
3v4 on Saturday Night - Loser out, winner plays Loser of 1v2

Prelim Final on Tuesday or Wednesday of the the next week

Grand Final Saturday

You'd have a week long build up for the home fans to buy tickets to a Grand Final and 3 or 4 days to build hype for the contest. Saturday night is free of Free to air Commitments as well.

You'd have to squish the regular season though, but a finals system like that would work quite well IMO.

Would work really well if when Australia Day is mid week, have the prelim on Australia Day and then the final is end of Jan

I feel like that's rushing it a little bit - Last week of December for the start of the tournment and finishing in the First week of Feb would be perfect - the finals (if scheduled properly) should still draw crowds after school holidays. Then if Cricket still wants to own February T20 internationals could take place in the following weeks - the Tri-Series model that they had with England and New Zealand would be something I'd be keen to see repeated in following years.

We went yesterday, wouldn't have gone if it was a night game as live a long way away and a school night. We have to get a v/line and there was a train at 5.50pm... it must have got to about 5.30 or even 5.40 and I was thinking shall we get the 5.50 train (game was scheduled for 5.45 finish but must been running behind).. This game is over, its going to be boring, stars are just pushing it around, 1 and 2s that all they need to do to get this... then just before got the family moving, a wicket....then 2 more and a dropped catch.... stayed, and result was way different than I imagined.. It is almost as if someone told them to try make it more exciting for the crowd.

T20 Championship no5 for Victoria, still the best T20 state in Australia by far!

Pretty sure I could only count one Victorian littered amongst both bowling attacks in the final and not one amongst the glamour boy Star.

Maybe you can claim half a championship if it helps make you feel better about supporting the wrong Melbourne BBL team.

Ever since BBL01 the Stars have self imposed themselves as the glamour team who wanted to have all the super star names and field a team of superstars (led by Eddie ‘********’ McGuire) who looked down on the rest of the competition as well as taking advantage of the market and money by claiming the biggest stadium in Australia as their home, with the view of claiming title after title. They were what you would call the upper class w***er brigade of the competition.

Problem for them is we are now 8 seasons on and they are one of only 2 teams not to have won a title even with their resources. Upper class team in theory but play like a lower class village and have become the perennial chokers of Australian sport. I think the Stars need an ego check because quiet frankly, they are just plain tripe and they are along with the Sixers the most unlikable organisation in Australian Cricket. Enjoy Dwayne ‘I’m Bigger Than The West Indies’ Bravo hacking up one of your international slots for years to come just because somehow people think he is still marketable.

But by all means keep looking down at the Renegades next season whilst you still clamber and claim Big Brother Status in the Victorian capital. I’m pretty sure they won’t be able to give 2 shits when they are lounging around in their trophy room. They have one thing the Stars will never have and that is ‘Heart’

Pretty sure I could only count one Victorian littered amongst both bowling attacks in the final and not one amongst the glamour boy Star.

Maybe you can claim half a championship if it helps make you feel better about supporting the wrong Melbourne BBL team.

Ever since BBL01 the Stars have self imposed themselves as the glamour team who wanted to have all the super star names and field a team of superstars (led by Eddie ‘********’ McGuire) who looked down on the rest of the competition as well as taking advantage of the market and money by claiming the biggest stadium in Australia as their home, with the view of claiming title after title. They were what you would call the upper class w***er brigade of the competition.

Problem for them is we are now 8 seasons on and they are one of only 2 teams not to have won a title even with their resources. Upper class team in theory but play like a lower class village and have become the perennial chokers of Australian sport. I think the Stars need an ego check because quiet frankly, they are just plain tripe and they are along with the Sixers the most unlikable organisation in Australian Cricket. Enjoy Dwayne ‘I’m Bigger Than The West Indies’ Bravo hacking up one of your international slots for years to come just because somehow people think he is still marketable.

But by all means keep looking down at the Renegades next season whilst you still clamber and claim Big Brother Status in the Victorian capital. I’m pretty sure they won’t be able to give 2 shits when they are lounging around in their trophy room. They have one thing the Stars will never have and that is ‘Heart’

As I said earlier, I'm a nominal Stars' supporter, following it only because of my 12yo daughter. I'm not a great fan of the game in fact and, before my kid became obsessed with it, I kinda followed the Renegades. The Eddie factor turned me off as did Warne's antics and I thought they treated White appallingly. But, having said that, they really have been great at appealing to kids in the South Eastern suburbs with functions and family days etc. The players have always been approachable and available at these gigs and the promotional stuff has been excellent. Of course I am sure that each team is similar in their reach to their market.

So yeah, they kinda are the Collingwood, Carlton or (mid-70s) Richmond of the competition. But credit where its due, they do make the supporters feel like family. Okay, maybe the Manson family, but still family nonetheless.

You're one to talk - superstar players with no heart?
Chris Lynn. Biggest sook in the world. Can't play 14 t 20s in six weeks it's too hard.
And Brendan McCallum talk about going A season too long.
Bash brothers? More like we like bashing each other off brothers while we gamble on horses.

Eddie McGuire didn’t seem overly fussed, even when they showed him in the crowd when the Stars had it all but won he almost had thst look on his face that he would gladly have his Stars choke if it meant Collingwood could get to another grand final this year lol

Eddie McGuire didn’t seem overly fussed, even when they showed him in the crowd when the Stars had it all but won he almost had thst look on his face that he would gladly have his Stars choke if it meant Collingwood could get to another grand final this year lol
Making Grand Finals is not a problem Collingwood suffer from, winning on the other hand

Remove this Banner Ad

BBL|08 final Melbourne Renegades versus Melbourne Stars @ Marvel Stadium

Back