Workshop BBL Expansion - Canberra

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
Canberra in the frame as Cricket Australia outlines BBL expansion in five-year plan.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/spo...pansion-in-fiveyear-plan-20170907-gycmnj.html

The explosive popularity and revenue of Cricket Australia's Big Bash League has made it one of the fastest growing sports leagues in the world. According to this source, the BBL is the 7th most attended sport league in the world which is impressive given it's short history. With the growth of any sport league comes the expansion of it's brand through the formation of a new team.

Currently, the BBL has 8 teams and as the attached news article suggests, the next route of expansion is into Canberra.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that the introduction is over, I hand over this task to the people! The idea of this workshop is to create some designs for what will be a Canberra BBL team.

23BBLFantasy.jpg

The current BBL teams take up a lot of the colour spectrum which will make it difficult to choose a colour palette. Despite the limited colours, Yellow would probably be the best or maybe even silver but the choice is up to you, design a uniform and who knows, the BBL is probably going to be looking for some inspiration in a couple years time...

Canberra in the frame as Cricket Australia outlines BBL expansion in five-year plan.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/spo...pansion-in-fiveyear-plan-20170907-gycmnj.html

The explosive popularity and revenue of Cricket Australia's Big Bash League has made it one of the fastest growing sports leagues in the world. According to this source, the BBL is the 7th most attended sport league in the world which is impressive given it's short history. With the growth of any sport league comes the expansion of it's brand through the formation of a new team.

Currently, the BBL has 8 teams and as the attached news article suggests, the next route of expansion is into Canberra.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that the introduction is over, I hand over this task to the people! The idea of this workshop is to create some designs for what will be a Canberra BBL team.

View attachment 441266

The current BBL teams take up a lot of the colour spectrum which will make it difficult to choose a colour palette. Despite the limited colours, Yellow would probably be the best or maybe even silver but the choice is up to you, design a uniform and who knows, the BBL is probably going to be looking for some inspiration in a couple years time...

If Cricket Australia keep with the rules for the original clubs then Yellow and Blue would be out as no team can wear State/Territorial colours.

Now thats and idea... wonder if we'll ever see a NZ team enter the BBL
In an ideal world, we'd have a combined Australia/NZ domestic T20 comp and an annual tri-series ODI tournament with Australia, NZ and a touring country that plays tests, ODI's and T20's against both nations like England are doing this summer.

It most definitely will NOT be yellow for the reason Craegus stated above. CA have kinda cornered themselves on this one because yellow is the next obvious colour.
Yeah I'd disagree though. Expansion doesn't necessarily mean they'll follow the same rules as the original 8 teams. I'd also go as far to say that blue is the main colour for the ACT anyway, which could mean that yellow is available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It most definitely will NOT be yellow for the reason Craegus stated above. CA have kinda cornered themselves on this one because yellow is the next obvious colour.
No idea why they would corner themselves in like that unless they never foresaw expansion. Like Spanna said, I'm sure CA are going to break this rule when they eventually bring in a Canberra team, they to unless they want to go with some black or grey design.

Also 'Gold' is technically not the state colour of ACT so they could bypass it that way :p

One thing that also bugs me is that a lot of the teams use too much black in their uniform. It works well with teams like the Renegades and Strikers but teams like Sixers, Scorchers and Thunder go over board with it. Also not sure what's wrong with using a bit of white. It would look far better in the Heat, Hurricanes and Stars were white as it matches their colour scheme.

unless they go brown and black like the kiwis of the 80s - shudder.
maroon would work well, or a navy.

they kinda have to go darker colours now

unless they go brown and black like the kiwis of the 80s - shudder.
maroon would work well, or a navy.

they kinda have to go darker colours now
Maroon was my thought after my post last night. Navy is an option but along Craegus' line I think that would be out as well.

It would look far better in the Heat, Hurricanes and Stars were white as it matches their colour scheme.
Stars, Heat and Hurricanes wore white in the first couple of seasons.
BBL-1.jpg

Stars, Heat and Hurricanes wore white in the first couple of seasons.
BBL-1.jpg
Certainly worked better for the Heat and the 'Canes, not sure about the Stars though, their new kit is by far and away the best in the comp.

Just dug up some more recent news regarding Canberra and expansion.

Sydney Thunder 'disappointed' by Canberra BBL bid - I'll sum up the main points in the article for those too lazy to read :p
  • Sydney Thunder boss Lee Germon is disappointed with the timing of Canberra's Big Bash bid, but backs an ACT team and feels the best way to get that is to sell out January 24 (Thunder vs Renegades @ Manuka Oval, Canberra).
  • Germon took exception to the launch, but wasn't against Canberra having its own team.
  • [Germon] said [he] saw Canberra as part of the "Thunder Nation" and they have development officers based in the ACT.
So what I get out of this is that Lee isn't opposed, but still somewhat adamant to what he sees as the Thunder's territory. I have to somewhat agree with Lee on this point, Canberra is really the only other route of fan expansion and if there were to be a Canberra team the Thunder will be in an awkward situation, squished in between the Sixers and this new Canberra team. However, for Lee re branding the team is still on the table and if he doesn't want to give up Canberra then he should be doing his best to cater to that region of NSW.

Some more news, not directly related to a Canberra team but still in the conversation of BBL expansion.

How to grow the BBL into Australia’s biggest sporting league - By Nick Symonds
  • formation of a two division system (e.g. 10 teams, two divs of 5)
  • Promotion and relegation within said divisions
  • Merge Melbourne Stars and Renegades "so that the new team can reach the full capacity of the MCG for every home game."
  • He lists Gold Coast, Canberra, Geelong and Launceston as possible expansion routes
  • Nick contends that a two division system will reduce travel costs greatly
It's a well written piece and although I disagree with the forming of a division system, it still isn't a bad idea. Only problem I can see is that he didn't even list any WA expansion teams which, I would think, would be almost as high priority as Canberra given the monopoly in the Perth region.

jfc, BBL isn't supposed to be a serious league. It's a quick piece of fun in the summer with bright jumpers and light up bails.

Now don't get me wrong, I love BBL, but yeah just seems really unnecessary. Expansion is a good idea if there is a market in the locations but otherwise I think the league in its current model is perfect for what it needs to be - a bit of fun in the Australian cricket calendar.

If anything needs improvement it's working on the state competitions and finding a way to make them relevant in the modern cricket landscape - putting butts on seats at domestic First Class and One Day games.

The 2 div system in a 10 team comp set the record for the dumbest idea in history and then the merging of the Melbourne teams because it will "fill the MCG" immediately broke it.
I know the comp is a bit bullshit, but wouldn't merging both Melbourne teams alienate big chunks of fans? I've got a couple Renegades jerseys and a cap and some membership items but I wouldn't be so sure about following a merged Melbourne team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back