Workshop BBL Expansion - Canberra

Remove this Banner Ad

I know the comp is a bit bullshit, but wouldn't merging both Melbourne teams alienate big chunks of fans? I've got a couple Renegades jerseys and a cap and some membership items but I wouldn't be so sure about following a merged Melbourne team.
The BBL teams are entirely disposable entities. If they went back to a state based system nobody would miss a single franchise.

Having 2 teams in a big city like Sydney or Melbourne which can easily support them actually generates more passion and interest because of the rivalry factor.

There is zero chance, outside maybe a final, that a merged Melbourne BBL team sells out the MCG.

The BBL teams are entirely disposable entities. If they went back to a state based system nobody would miss a single franchise.

Having 2 teams in a big city like Sydney or Melbourne which can easily support them actually generates more passion and interest because of the rivalry factor.

There is zero chance, outside maybe a final, that a merged Melbourne BBL team sells out the MCG.
The MCG has gotten 90000 odd people there for Renegades vs Stars (with the MCC Members stand the only empty portion :mad:) but that's because there's two teams from the city there. If they merged and played Perth for example they'd get the same attendance as if the Stars played Perth.

The MCG has gotten 90000 odd people there for Renegades vs Stars (with the MCC Members stand the only empty portion :mad:) but that's because there's two teams from the city there. If they merged and played Perth for example they'd get the same attendance as if the Stars played Perth.
Pretty sure the record is only 80000 or so, which was in a Melbourne derby when both teams were up and about.

Pretty sure the record is only 80000 or so, which was in a Melbourne derby when both teams were up and about.
My mistake, they predicted 95000 for the previous MCG derby but it started raining beforehand, I think the Renegades only managed about 14 overs from rain.

If Cricket Australia keep with the rules for the original clubs then Yellow and Blue would be out as no team can wear State/Territorial colours.
However Adelaide are still wearing blue. Blue (navy/royal), red and yellow are SA's colours (of course) so the rules are there to be bypassed ever so slightly.

However Adelaide are still wearing blue. Blue (navy/royal), red and yellow are SA's colours (of course) so the rules are there to be bypassed ever so slightly.
South Australia's cricket colours are red and black which is why blue was fine.

South Australia's cricket colours are red and black which is why blue was fine.
Technically, there's still blue on the SACA caps and Vests that the players wear in the sheffield shield. But I get what you mean, no one really associates the SA cricket team with blue, so they can let it slide.

I reckon if they go for a fairly highlighter bright yellow there won't be any issues.

Remember this was the colour balance on the ACT kits

1431771180419.jpg

Going Yellow with a black trim isn't going to encroach too heavily on that, and there'll never be a second Canberra team, so who cares?

Why the hell did Cricket Australia corner themselves like this? Sure, to make them distinct from their State-team counterparts but surely they could've just made the teams with a primary and secondary colour, that way there could be two teams with blue and red but just a different design and reverse would work solve any clash problems.

I think they will break the rule and go with yellow. It's the next logical choice and as has been said, it's not like we'll ever get two Canberra sides. They don't currently have a state side in the comp anyway so can't see an issue.

I see Gold Coast as the other probable option. Stadium is already there and it suits the whole summer timing of the BBL. Can't think of anywhere else which is bleeding obvious unless we start thinking regional.

I think they will break the rule and go with yellow. It's the next logical choice and as has been said, it's not like we'll ever get two Canberra sides. They don't currently have a state side in the comp anyway so can't see an issue.

I see Gold Coast as the other probable option. Stadium is already there and it suits the whole summer timing of the BBL. Can't think of anywhere else which is bleeding obvious unless we start thinking regional.
Geelong is the other one that gets thrown around from time to time and I do think that they are more likely than a GC team, because no team ever succeeds up there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll start with the disclaimer that I'm not huge on cricket, so maybe I'm way off, but I just don't see the need for expansion in BBL. Canberra can maybe sustain a team, but anything beyond that is going to kill the goose I reckon. It fits in perfectly in the school holidays window. More teams means more games which means a longer season. I just don't think its sustainable beyond where it currently sits, without cannibalising the other forms of cricket.

It fits in perfectly in the school holidays window. More teams means more games which means a longer season.
Sure, but more games with more teams also equals more money and let's not forget what sport is all about...

Sure, but more games with more teams also equals more money and let's not forget what sport is all about...

I guess my contention is that once the season starts encroaching on school time, then it won't be able to sustain interest, crowds and perhaps even TV ratings. The thing it has going for it is that there is a game on nearly every night, its not confined to just weekends. Once everyone is back at school and work, this becomes a negative, not a positive. People won't attend, kids won't be allowed to stay up and watch games, etc. I dunno, I just feel like they're right in the sweet spot at the moment, and teams in Geelong, Gold Coast, etc won't necessarily make the comp better.

I guess my contention is that once the season starts encroaching on school time, then it won't be able to sustain interest, crowds and perhaps even TV ratings. The thing it has going for it is that there is a game on nearly every night, its not confined to just weekends. Once everyone is back at school and work, this becomes a negative, not a positive. People won't attend, kids won't be allowed to stay up and watch games, etc. I dunno, I just feel like they're right in the sweet spot at the moment, and teams in Geelong, Gold Coast, etc won't necessarily make the comp better.
They'd just do more double headers w/ afternoon games in the expansion markets and Hobart. The BBL is cash cow and CA will inevitably just milk it until people get sick of it.

Geelong is another realistic location. Hobart have a team and their populations are relatively similar. Only problem is building a fan base around them. People from Geelong are the only people who are really gonna be passionate for this team and I don't see a lot of people leaving the Bandwagon of the Star or even the dumpster fire of the Renegades for a new Geelong team. Still a possibility however.

More teams means more games which means a longer season
I think I remember reading an article a while back saying they were planning to expand the season by a couple rounds or so. I'm in the same boat as you but if they are going to expand it they should start it halfway through December maybe around the 14th - 16th area. I'm already in hype mode for the BBL but it's weeks away.

Geelong is another realistic location. Hobart have a team and their populations are relatively similar. Only problem is building a fan base around them. People from Geelong are the only people who are really gonna be passionate for this team and I don't see a lot of people leaving the Bandwagon of the Star or even the dumpster fire of the Renegades for a new Geelong team. Still a possibility however.
It feels like half of Melbourne spends January on the surf coast, I'm sure they would happy to go see some cricket after a dip in thirteenth beach.

It feels like half of Melbourne spends January on the surf coast, I'm sure they would happy to go see some cricket after a dip in thirteenth beach.
Going to be interesting to see how the atmosphere of the BBL will translate to at Kardinia Park. I've already got my ticket for that game to test it out. I'll have to admit though, their going to have to cut half the pitch in half in order to make it a circle Kardinia Park was only build for football but we'll see how it goes.

Going to be interesting to see how the atmosphere of the BBL will translate to at Kardinia Park. I've already got my ticket for that game to test it out. I'll have to admit though, their going to have to cut half the pitch in half in order to make it a circle Kardinia Park was only build for football but we'll see how it goes.
Cricket needs to be played on a circular ground? Wow! Someone better tell Adelaide oval with their long straight boundaries or Lords which is essentially a square with slightly rounded corners.

Remove this Banner Ad

Workshop BBL Expansion - Canberra

Remove this Banner Ad

Back