Coach Be vewy vewy quiet we're hunting coaches.

If we can't get Clarko - who do you want as next NMFC coach?

• Leon Cameron

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Mark "Chocco" Williams

Votes: 87 32.0%
  • Ross Lyon

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • Nathan Buckley

Votes: 25 9.2%
  • Adam Yze

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Don Pyke

Votes: 25 9.2%
  • Daniel Giansiracusa

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Blake Caracella

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • James Hird

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • Scott Burns

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Jesus

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • Satan

Votes: 24 8.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Adam Simpson

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • Gary Ayres

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Justin Leppitsch

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • Supercoach Patch

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Doubt there's much to the Ross Lyon talk but fwiw I don't care about his gamestyle as much as some of the whiff that surrounded his persona that saw him leave Freo.

Re his gamestyle - for boring low scoring teams he sure did like tanning our hides by big margins. I could live with that if it got us flag(s).

We need to make sure that we have a good team of coaches.

On the boundary line a Lyon or Williams would work but we need a tactical coach in the box.

I also think that Robert Harvey on the boundary line and Adam Yze in the box could work well.

Doubt there's much to the Ross Lyon talk but fwiw I don't care about his gamestyle as much as some of the whiff that surrounded his persona that saw him leave Freo.

Re his gamestyle - for boring low scoring teams he sure did like tanning our hides by big margins. I could live with that if it got us flag(s).

Probably helpful to qualify that talk of gamestyle, at least for me, is based on the way teams are playing right now and what has proven successful over the last couple of years.

Teams like West Coast, Collingwood and Geelong were moving the ball slower and wider than most other teams for the last few years, and all 3 of them have seen that it's not a style that works right now (for a number of reasons). Collingwood and Geelong in particular have clearly made adjustments and it's paying dividends. Nathan Buckley is on record saying that he tried to make the adjustment at Collingwood last year to a more attacking game-style as he could see that was the way the game was going, but they didn't have the cattle and time to adjust.

Ross Lyon has only shown himself to be successful with a very specific style at a very specific time in football history. This style does not suit the modern game, and would require him to adjust his whole footballing on-field philosophy that served him so well for so long. He's also been out of the game for 3 years, not even coaching as an assistant anywhere during that time, unlike Pyke.

I agree that winning trumps everything, but I'm not sure a slow, defensive game-style will result in wins.

Something very interesting this time around is that at least temporarily, the perception of the club has shifted.

For whatever reason we seem to be a sexier proposition than during the coach hunt in 2020.

The media is tying us to quite a few genuine options rather than trawling through the league for guys who "might" be coaching candidates.

It might all boil down to a similar outcome in terms of candidates in the mix but right now we've shifted to being treated as a proper destination for a quality senior coach.
If you saw how we played on the weekend with ldu dominating and some of the young talent we had in the 2s, you would want a crack at that. The potential is there for all to see.

Despite what was said in yesterday's press conference it is possible, maybe even very likely that Clarkson's agent has been contacted, even if Clarksons himself has not.

He may be overseas by coincidence or by design at the current time. Who knows? His manager would be the point of initial contact regardless.

Don't read too much into anything that was said, from the "mutual decision" to not having spoken to Clarkson.

Noble didn't want to leave, he just had the option of being sacked or leaving on a positive note.

It is not like we woke up one day and decided to sack him, this would have been something brewing for a while and I am sure we would have sounded out parties of interest.

Don't read too much into anything that was said, from the "mutual decision" to not having spoken to Clarkson.

Noble didn't want to leave, he just had the option of being sacked or leaving on a positive note.

It is not like we woke up one day and decided to sack him, this would have been something brewing for a while and I am sure we would have sounded out parties of interest.
He clearly had KPI's
We won 4.5 games last year.
Beating that this year is pretty much unattainable now.

He clearly had KPI's
We won 4.5 games last year.
Beating that this year is pretty much unattainable now.

It is the way you play and the way you lose that means more than just wins/losses. Most players have gone backwards, not enough development progress in younger players, the direction is just off, even if we get some older players back and win a string of dead rubber games.

Whoever gets the job has to have authority to clean out the club
Everyone from the boot studder to the President
If you're expecting a new coach to be turfing the president - prepare for disappointment.

If you saw how we played on the weekend with ldu dominating and some of the young talent we had in the 2s, you would want a crack at that. The potential is there for all to see.
Of course but I wasn't meaning our self-perception. The media seem to be enjoying the story in and of itself this time around.

The doom and gloom is covered a bit but there seems to be a focus this time of speculating on linking us to credible coaching options.

Chad might be right from tin foil hat perspective and maybe they are setting us up to fail. But it's a very different strangely football focused vibe at large.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could Sonja live with this stench at the club?

Probably helpful to qualify that talk of gamestyle, at least for me, is based on the way teams are playing right now and what has proven successful over the last couple of years.

Teams like West Coast, Collingwood and Geelong were moving the ball slower and wider than most other teams for the last few years, and all 3 of them have seen that it's not a style that works right now (for a number of reasons). Collingwood and Geelong in particular have clearly made adjustments and it's paying dividends. Nathan Buckley is on record saying that he tried to make the adjustment at Collingwood last year to a more attacking game-style as he could see that was the way the game was going, but they didn't have the cattle and time to adjust.

Ross Lyon has only shown himself to be successful with a very specific style at a very specific time in football history. This style does not suit the modern game, and would require him to adjust his whole footballing on-field philosophy that served him so well for so long. He's also been out of the game for 3 years, not even coaching as an assistant anywhere during that time, unlike Pyke.

I agree that winning trumps everything, but I'm not sure a slow, defensive game-style will result in wins.
Good points souupy.

In the pro for Ross you could argue he implemented a style he saw as the best % option for the lists he had in the context of the game at the time. If he's continued to closely monitor the game maybe he's smart enough to adopt a horses for courses approach to suit the modern game.

Malcolm Blight is the nearest recent equivalent for someone who kept reaching GFs but broke through with a different looking setup at another club.

It's also worth pointing out that Lyon appears to get teams marching to his beat very quickly. There is a risk he won't show this with the next generation but maybe he still has 'it' in that regard too.

I still don't concur with the boring or overly defensive gameplan accusations he received at the time.

2009 St Kilda had the highest % in the league at 155.7 and had 6 wins by over 50 pts.

2010 St Kilda still had a respectable % of 121.6 and 3 wins over 50 pts.

2013 Freo had a healthy % of 134.1 and 4 wins over 50 pts.

What I'm saying is to my eyes especially when they played us his teams could very much strangle an opponent and score big themselves.

However...

The red flag is his personal conduct. That's a big, big concern. We'd want to have a very thorough understanding of what happened, the culpability, the reticence (if relevant) and his character now if we wanted to entertain Ross Lyon as a senior coach.

Because we're potentially letting the fox into the henhouse.

So on football grounds - I would absolutely look at him. On non-football grounds - I would be EXTREMELY wary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Be vewy vewy quiet we're hunting coaches.

Back