Player Watch Beau McCreery

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like to see him moved onto the bigger mids when they get off the leash. He did with UDL and I thought he should've gone onto Cripps in the last quarter.
I quite like that - if we are going to go full park the bus mode with no forwards there's not much use of a pressure forward - no way of holding the ball in with forward pressure with no forwards - Beau tagging the most dangerous mid seems the way to go.

I quite like that - if we are going to go full park the bus mode with no forwards there's not much use of a pressure forward - no way of holding the ball in with forward pressure with no forwards - Beau tagging the most dangerous mid seems the way to go.

Was the team strategy to park the bus? It looked like we simply got destroyed in the center in the last quarter and then Carlton ran and took risks. From there we were on the back foot defending.

Was the team strategy to park the bus? It looked like we simply got destroyed in the center in the last quarter and then Carlton ran and took risks. From there we were on the back foot defending.

Don't know - but it happens regularly when we're defending a lead. We end up with so many back that there's little chance of moving or holding it forward - and you get things like Elliott competing with 3 and the only possible win being the boundary line.

I am once again saying to the stats obsessed supporters that not all player's importance can be measured with numbers.

Beau has been sorely missed by us and the constant pressure threat he poses to opposition players can't be underrated. When your entire gameplan is built on a foundation of relentless pressure, Beau is arguably one of our most important players.

If there's a loose ball somewhere on the field, he's either getting to it first, or catching the bloke leading him to the ball and absolutely pile driving him into the ground.

I don't give a real shit if he doesn't touch the ball much. If he keeps doing what he did on Saturday, then it goes a long way to us achieving something out of this god forsaken season

Not just HIS opponent, he's so quick he worries 3 or 4 at a time.

If there's a loose ball anywhere in his half or quadrant of the ground, you know opposition players have clenched sphincters while they wonder if he's around

He's a good player - if he can clean up his ball handling, he'll be a weapon offensively as well as defensively.
I think he’ll clean this up as he progresses. At the moment he is often going so fast and attacking it head and front on there’s little margin for error. I actually thought it improved a bit when he started spending time at centre bounces, possibly because he hadn’t built up a full head of steam.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he’ll clean this up as he progresses. At the moment he is often going so fast and attacking it head and front on there’s little margin for error. I actually thought it improved a bit when he started spending time at centre bounces, possibly because he hadn’t built up a full head of steam.
I hope so, because when he gets it and goes good things happen.

I’d love to turn him into a tagger.

100%

I really hope we focus on turning him into a midfielder this off season.

Could be a genuine weapon as a defensive mid or straight up tagger. Has the pace to keep up with all of the competitions best mids and the strength to hold his own against them all too.

They just need to get his fitness up to a point where he's able to do it in 5-10 minute bursts at minimum and teach him the nuances of the role

100%

I really hope we focus on turning him into a midfielder this off season.

Could be a genuine weapon as a defensive mid or straight up tagger. Has the pace to keep up with all of the competitions best mids and the strength to hold his own against them all too.

They just need to get his fitness up to a point where he's able to do it in 5-10 minute bursts at minimum and teach him the nuances of the role
Most taggers aren’t necessarily that quick. They just maul their opponents all game.
McCreery has the explosive pace to turn defence into attack when he wins the footy.

If there's a loose ball anywhere in his half or quadrant of the ground, you know opposition players have clenched sphincters while they wonder if he's around
100%

Adam Sadd was a prime example of that when he completely missed the ball of the wing then Beau cleaned him up in a shepard...was clearly worried about the incoming freight train. I think that led to that tap on goal to WHE

100%

Adam Sadd was a prime example of that when he completely missed the ball of the wing then Beau cleaned him up in a shepard...was clearly worried about the incoming freight train. I think that led to that tap on goal to WHE
Magnificent passage of play that

I just don't think McCreery is fit enough to be a midfielder. The amount of time the opposition mid is 'exploding' with the ball is extremely low, more often it is the hard running from contest to contest without the ball trying to get into a chain with a handball, or defensive running to try to get back to block up space or stand an opponent. Beau wouldn't last 5 minutes trying to keep up with the gun mids in this sort of model. And I don't think Beau is really any good at winning the contested ground ball, which is the primary skill needed from an inside mid.

If we want a position change, I'd be more interested in seeing him tried as a small defender

I just don't think McCreery is fit enough to be a midfielder. The amount of time the opposition mid is 'exploding' with the ball is extremely low, more often it is the hard running from contest to contest without the ball trying to get into a chain with a handball, or defensive running to try to get back to block up space or stand an opponent. Beau wouldn't last 5 minutes trying to keep up with the gun mids in this sort of model. And I don't think Beau is really any good at winning the contested ground ball, which is the primary skill needed from an inside mid.

If we want a position change, I'd be more interested in seeing him tried as a small defender
he can play mid in bursts

He can attend CB and then roll forward and play his normal role

Everyone one goes on about our young players not coming through, but i wonder if they forget about Mccreery, Quaynor etc. But keeping on the Mccreery thread can he become a full time mid he seems to have all the tools?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Beau McCreery

Remove this Banner Ad

Back