Traded Ben Brown [Traded to Melbourne with #28 and Future 4th Round Pick for #26, #33 and Future 4th Round Pick]

Who won this trade?

• North Melbourne

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Rama (his manager) very clear on the fact he wanted/wants to stay at North. Don’t know where you’ve got “he wants to leave North” from, never has that once been mentioned by either party, in fact the opposite by Brown. Regardless he’s gone, unless he gets no decent offers in which I have no idea what he will do (nor does probably anyone bar he and his manager).

The backended deal might be all Collingwood could offer, but there is a chance he gets something more enticing from other clubs.

Any idea when his leg gets re-attached?

Rama (his manager) very clear on the fact he wanted/wants to stay at North. Don’t know where you’ve got “he wants to leave North” from, never has that once been mentioned by either party, in fact the opposite by Brown. Regardless he’s gone, unless he gets no decent offers in which I have no idea what he will do (nor does probably anyone bar he and his manager).

The backended deal might be all Collingwood could offer, but there is a chance he gets something more enticing from other clubs.
My apologies, I thought he wanted to leave, I know North want him gone, and the fact he turned down big offers led me to believe he wanted to go. However I cant imagine he would be willing to turn heaven and earth to stay - some people want to stay and some really want to stay and I think he falls in the former.

Has it been mentioned that his Uncle James Manson played for the Pies?
Appreciate you taking a more balanced view.

Do you think that Ben will accept a 500k deal? I personally don't think he will & his manager will be trying to claw back as much he can after rejecting our 750-800k offer. I think it will end up being closer to 600k wherever he lands.

My apologies, I thought he wanted to leave, I know North want him gone, and the fact he turned down big offers led me to believe he wanted to go. However I cant imagine he would be willing to turn heaven and earth to stay - some people want to stay and some really want to stay and I think he falls in the former.
What makes you say that. Have you inside info or just some funny feeling.

What makes you say that. Have you inside info or just some funny feeling.
If he was desperate to stay, he wouldnt have turned down 800k in hopes they would offer him more. The likelihood was always gonig to be that they wouldnt, and players who want to stay dont take risks like that. 800k is enough money when you love a club. De Goey turned down millions to stay at Collingwood in 2018.

If he was desperate to stay, he wouldnt have turned down 800k in hopes they would offer him more. The likelihood was always gonig to be that they wouldnt, and players who want to stay dont take risks like that. 800k is enough money when you love a club. De Goey turned down millions to stay at Collingwood in 2018.

But then he asked to stay at the club on the deal he’d previously rejected.........so?

But managers do.

i don’t know much about the rama negotiation in this one but it’s simple isn’t it? if you want to stay you take less money and don’t ask for it in first place. we going through the same with crouch. perhaps afl should mandate commissions are fixed fee not % like in financial planning. covid has cut the umbilical cord of the endless stream of cash, and clubs have pounced on this to arrest back control.

my mail as i posted is that there will be a straight swap of brown for hogan. I know it sounds odd.
278B28E8-EBBE-469E-874F-8069706ADBC1.gif

The reality is North have shot themselves in the foot with this, his value has sky rocketed down due him being thrown out. He's not contracted.

Clubs won't offer much. 1st rounder at most now.

There's shooting ones foot off and then there's shooting ones feet off. The good news is you'll never ever have to spend good money on shoes again.

On point, North have handled this well, we put forward a fair and reasonable offer and it was rejected. That's fine and not the first time that's ever happened in the AFL.

What drives up value is of course demand. Brown's a good footballer, no star that's for sure. I think overall the comp is a bit shallow on talent and Brown could assist a few teams to become a top four side, from there of course anything could and can happen.

Reporter on SEN tonight said no one has even enquired yet. Maybe lions waiting for end of season?
Previous similar trades that turned out to be huge failures scaring people off.

Taking a chance on a 28 year old who is down on form with injury concerns is just plain gambling.

At this stage, very, very difficult for any club to cough up a 1st round pick for Brown. Which is why Daniher at 0 cost is Bribane's 1st priority, and it looks like we prefer a more durable Gunston. Geelong preferring the highest quality KPF in Cameron

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's shooting ones foot off and then there's shooting ones feet off. The good news is you'll never ever have to spend good money on shoes again.

On point, North have handled this well, we put forward a fair and reasonable offer and it was rejected. That's fine and not the first time that's ever happened in the AFL.

What drives up value is of course demand. Brown's a good footballer, no star that's for sure. I think overall the comp is a bit shallow on talent and Brown could assist a few teams to become a top four side, from there of course anything could and can happen.

Regardless of whether you gave him a good deal and he said no, he's not worth 2 firsts or anything ridiculous like that.

Previous similar trades that turned out to be huge failures scaring people off.

Taking a chance on a 28 year old who is down on form with injury concerns is just plain gambling.

At this stage, very, very difficult for any club to cough up a 1st round pick for Brown. Which is why Daniher at 0 cost is Bribane's 1st priority, and it looks like we prefer a more durable Gunston. Geelong preferring the highest quality KPF in Cameron
He's had one injury in the last like 5 years?

Best fit for him and the club though would probably be Collingwood. They desperately need a tall marking forward, they have a good midfield and they're regularly playing finals.

I don't want the change in gameplan that would see him put up numbers. It's antiquated and predictable. Would rather see what De Goey / Mihocek / Cox can continue to do with more games together (and more games with our full midfield)

Would he be any more effective than Mason Cox in Cox's current role with the same number of forward entries directed his way?

Not sure if srs

Brown's production is largely a product of an antiquated, predictable gameplan that directs a high volume of forward entries his way.

Take him out of that, and put him in a secondary role, and he'll likely produce like a role player, and casual observers who don't understand how players can pad their numbers in certain situations (bad teams, tailored gameplans, a higher number of reps than their talent level otherwise deserves) will probably wonder "what happened?", and blame the player or coach for "underachieving".

Yes, Collingwood could structure things to allow for another 60 goal season for Ben Brown as well. That would look good on paper for him personally, but would that necessarily makes the Pies a better side though, and be a winning gameplan against defenses in 2021?

Oh good lord :rolleyes:

Brown's production is largely a product of an antiquated, predictable gameplan that directs a high volume of forward entries his way.

Take him out of that, and put him in a secondary role, and he'll likely produce like a role player, and casual observers who don't understand how players can pad their numbers in certain situations (bad teams, tailored gameplans, a higher number of reps than their talent level otherwise deserves) will probably wonder "what happened?", and blame the player or coach for "underachieving".

Yes, Collingwood could structure things to allow for another 60 goal season for Ben Brown as well. That would look good on paper for him personally, but would that necessarily makes the Pies a better side though, and be a winning gameplan against defenses in 2021?

Collingwood can make up their own mind on what game plan suits them best but the idea that a 7 foot sack of potatoes will provide as much output as one of the top 3-4 forwards in the game just because he isn't as much a central point of attack is ****ing ridiculous

Brown has kicked more than 60 three times. Once in the same forwardline as Petrie and Waite. Once just Waite and once Larkey. The set up has been different every year. Even before then he was a much more effective forward than Cox. You are just making stuff up.

Collingwood can make up their own mind on what game plan suits them best but the idea that a 7 foot sack of potatoes will provide as much output as one of the top 3-4 forwards in the game just because he isn't as much a central point of attack is ******* ridiculous
Brown has kicked more than 60 three times. Once in the same forwardline as Petrie and Waite. Once just Waite and once Larkey. The set up has been different every year. Even before then he was a much more effective forward than Cox. You are just making stuff up.

Context, people.

In the same role, with the same number of forward entries
as Cox, I doubt Brown's output or efficiency would be any greater than Cox.

Keeping in mind that at no stage has Cox been or intended to be Collingwood's #1 forward, with 60-80% of the forward entries directed to him, like Brown has had with his various forward partners. In that role, is Brown really worth getting? Is Brown really worth getting to play his North role, given the big change to Collingwood's structure it would necessitate?

You won't just plug Brown in and have him kick 60 goals, without a significant shift in Collingwood's playing style, which may not necessarily make Collingwood a better side.

Yes if Brown had the exact same amount of entries directed at him as Cox had then he would significantly out perform him.

Having a better forward is a luxury not a ****ing hindrance. Your forward entries are a mess now because you don't have a Brown type forward. No no one is saying you need to change things up to put it on his head every time bit having a quality KPF gives you the luxury of using him more if need be and knowing you will get a better contest.

Context, people.

In the same role, with the same number of forward entries
as Cox, I doubt Brown's output or efficiency would be any greater than Cox.

Keeping in mind that at no stage has Cox been or intended to be Collingwood's #1 forward, with 60-80% of the forward entries directed to him, like Brown has had with his various forward partners. In that role, is Brown really worth getting? Is Brown really worth getting to play his North role, given the big change to Collingwood's structure it would necessitate?

You won't just plug Brown in and have him kick 60 goals, without a significant shift in Collingwood's playing style, which may not necessarily make Collingwood a better side.
Brown runs his opponents into the ground covering more distance than any other player in the comp. His continuous leads and dummy leads drag defenders out of their structure creating space for his teammates.
Cox just stands around looking useless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Ben Brown [Traded to Melbourne with #28 and Future 4th Round Pick for #26, #33 and Future 4th Round Pick]

Back