Ben Cousins arrested

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I did see an interview or article where that mindset of Ben's was brought up. The Eagles bloke said they did everything they could, short of suspending/sacking him, to try and change his mindset that he deserved his downtime. And they couldn't convince him that taking drugs wasn't ok. From that point they're back to suspending or delisting, which wouldn't have made much difference.

If WCE could not "convince" (lol) him to stop taking drugs they should have dropped him until he underwent treatment. The whole drug culture for the mid 2000's playing group was handled extremely poorly by the club.

If WCE could not "convince" (lol) him to stop taking drugs they should have dropped him until he underwent treatment. The whole drug culture for the mid 2000's playing group was handled extremely poorly by the club.
Interesting considering your recruiting these last two years.

Woresfold must look at his 2006 premiership medallion with great guilt.... He could have stopped it but adopted the head in sand approach.
So worsfold is capable of doing something no one else has been able to do? Hopefully he can also invent a time-machine and mug James Hird before he becomes our coach and stop us taking Steinberg before Parker.

Woresfold must look at his 2006 premiership medallion with great guilt.... He could have stopped it but adopted the head in sand approach.
The problem would have been far worse WITHOUT Worsfold. But don't let facts or bitterness (06 prelim) get in the way of a good story.

People can talk about what the AFL / WCE / his teammates / his family / friends would've, could've or should've done forever...but that won't improve Ben's situation with his addiction to drugs.

While he had a truly amazing on-field talent, that earned him the kind of lifestyle that most could only dream of, while he made many people very happy and brought joy to those who watched him grace the footy field, it is true that no one owes Ben Cousins anything. He is in the position he currently finds himself due to the decisions he himself has made.

The media jump on the Cousins bandwagon because they know people want to know what's happening. It sells papers and gets clicks on news sites. The story of Ben Cousins...after years and years of going down the spiral, is still worth $$$ when it comes to media and community interest.

So while knowing that no one owes Ben anything while at the same time acknowledging that he's still of huge media interest every time he messes up, why can't the stakeholders in Ben's life do something more to ensure that he gets the next-level mental health and addiction support and treatment that he needs?

A healthy and functioning Ben Cousins would be far more benefificial to the Australian community than a sorry story on the front page every couple of months. If he's the famous face of meth-addiction in a country that's currently going through a meth-crisis, wouldn't it be in everyone's best interests to get him to the next level, get him to understand the significance of his situation and that he could use this experience to ultimately save countless other families from going what he and anyone who knows and cares for him has gone through for the last decade.

I feel that the AFL, together with the West Coast Eagles should partner up with some leading health and addiction agencies, do whatever it takes, pay whatever it costs, get him the best treatment in the world, get him right over time, rewire his thinking, get him mentally and physically strong...so that he can help others and show them that people can actually beat addiction and give back to the community.

It would give addicts hope, something that many do not get when they are dumped by their family and friends and ridiculed for behaviour they can't control due to their chemical need for the drug. A healthy Cousins would show the doubters and those struggling with addiction that anyone can beat meth addiction.

Sadly, the AFL and the WCE probably lack the understanding that they could actually do more here.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jeo2nYX.gif
Appropriate username to post content ratio. :thumbsu:

I just want to say Cousins is one of my all time favourite players & I wish him the best with the challenges he's facing.
I'd just like to add drug cheat, lying sack of shit, worthless weakling and a phcuking disgrace.
What he is still doing to his family does not deserve sympathy. I dont give a rats arse what he does to himself....he deserves to be labelled what he truly is.

Narcissistic benthic pondscum who not surprisingly possessed the same short term endurance levels not seen since the nazi army was force fed the same junk to lift their game.

In the end they all suffer the inevitable long term effect.

Not much of a fan.

Sure, like I said at the end of the day, the responsibility lies at the feet of Ben Cousins. And there's every chance that he could have ended up a meth addict anyway.

But unless I'm mistaken, he didn't enter the league as a meth addict. And from all the stories we've heard (and I know it's just hearsay or whatever), the club and league willfully looked in the other direction because Cousins was a high performer and star in the league. And obviously it wasn't just Cousins considering what's happened to other members of the 2000s Eagles. People put results above the well being of these players and now everyone deals with the consequences.
How Trevor Nisbitt is still employed is beyond me.

The memberships and sponsorships kept rolling in, they got a flag, players were winning Brownlows. And yet so many young men were obviously self-destructing. I'm sure all club CEOs know about what player is into what, but there's a difference between someone living a normal life and having a few lines every month or so, and the huge dependency issues the Eagles players had. The innuendo was intense at the time – who hasn't heard a story? – and Nisbitt sat around and let it pass.

He is highly responsible. These men did it to themselves but they were never, ever halted or helped by people at their football club. It's depressing.

I hate the Eagles and how scummy they are, but shit like this is depressing. Ben Cousins was a young man with every positive attribute and so much luck on his side. He should be living the life these days, but he's smoking shit drugs and constantly being done for low level crimes. He's a privileged middle class boy from Bicton with compassionate, helpful parents who are now helpless. It's sad, sad shit.

People can talk about what the AFL / WCE / his teammates / his family / friends would've, could've or should've done forever...but that won't improve Ben's situation with his addiction to drugs.

While he had a truly amazing on-field talent, that earned him the kind of lifestyle that most could only dream of, while he made many people very happy and brought joy to those who watched him grace the footy field, it is true that no one owes Ben Cousins anything. He is in the position he currently finds himself due to the decisions he himself has made.

The media jump on the Cousins bandwagon because they know people want to know what's happening. It sells papers and gets clicks on news sites. The story of Ben Cousins...after years and years of going down the spiral, is still worth $$$ when it comes to media and community interest.

So while knowing that no one owes Ben anything while at the same time acknowledging that he's still of huge media interest every time he messes up, why can't the stakeholders in Ben's life do something more to ensure that he gets the next-level mental health and addiction support and treatment that he needs?

A healthy and functioning Ben Cousins would be far more benefificial to the Australian community than a sorry story on the front page every couple of months. If he's the famous face of meth-addiction in a country that's currently going through a meth-crisis, wouldn't it be in everyone's best interests to get him to the next level, get him to understand the significance of his situation and that he could use this experience to ultimately save countless other families from going what he and anyone who knows and cares for him has gone through for the last decade.

I feel that the AFL, together with the West Coast Eagles should partner up with some leading health and addiction agencies, do whatever it takes, pay whatever it costs, get him the best treatment in the world, get him right over time, rewire his thinking, get him mentally and physically strong...so that he can help others and show them that people can actually beat addiction and give back to the community.

It would give addicts hope, something that many do not get when they are dumped by their family and friends and ridiculed for behaviour they can't control due to their chemical need for the drug. A healthy Cousins would show the doubters and those struggling with addiction that anyone can beat meth addiction.

Sadly, the AFL and the WCE probably lack the understanding that they could actually do more here.
The problem is, to get past the first barrier to making any of your proposal happen Cousins needs to move beyond his precontemplative state in the addiction cycle and stay there. Ice is a notoriously difficult drug to stay off because it changes the way your brain produces and stores dopamine whereby once you've developed a habit your brain has already depleted its stored dopamine supply and has a reduced capacity to create dopamine because ice causes a huge flood from, then destruction of, the receptors that produce dopamine in the first place. As someone that deals with ice users daily in a healthcare setting it is a losing battle to keep an addict off the ice after you've detoxed them as it becomes the only way the brain can release dopamine and therefore feel pleasure and reward.

Long term no, but have you ever seen the police trying to restrain someone on gear?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Have you?

Put that same person on a football field in front of 100k peoples screaming at them and see what happens.

Moron.

The problem is, to get past the first barrier to making any of your proposal happen Cousins needs to move beyond his precontemplative state in the addiction cycle and stay there. Ice is a notoriously difficult drug to stay off because it changes the way your brain produces and stores dopamine whereby once you've developed a habit your brain has already depleted its stored dopamine supply and has a reduced capacity to create dopamine because ice causes a huge flood from, then destruction of, the receptors that produce dopamine in the first place. As someone that deals with ice users daily in a healthcare setting it is a losing battle to keep an addict off the ice after you've detoxed them as it becomes the only way the brain can release dopamine and therefore feel pleasure and reward.

So what are the options? If we cant detox ice users then what do we do? Shall we put them down?

I really hope he can get himself right, I don't think he has the strength or support to get clean, Meth is probably the most addictive drug you will find it also becomes extremaly expensive after a while, if he wasn't already broke he won't be to far away.

I like to think he'd want to change, I'm pretty sure all ice users would want to change, every time their coming down at least.

Your bang on in what you've said but one thing, dopamine doesn't actually give you the feeling of pleasure and reward it gives you the desire to feel pleasure and reward.
It's a very slight difference in terminology for the professional but a very big difference in hope for the patient.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Quick HAWKS +TIGER fans there could be another brownlow up for grabs,please tell us how you deserve this one
ps. Saddened for his family,one big f***** up struggle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back