Ben Cousins arrested

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reading in the West this morning that Cousins was meant to front Court again today on another drug possession charge that hasn't been captured in the media.

Further to this, he was charged with drug possession after the crash.

He's going to jail, no doubt.

What a tragic story.

Reading in the West this morning that Cousins was meant to front Court again today on another drug possession charge that hasn't been captured in the media.

Further to this, he was charged with drug possession after the crash.

He's going to jail, no doubt.

What a tragic story.

I could easily believe he was under the influence of whatever at the time of the crash, very likely in possession of something at said time.
Do you really think if the media had these details they wouldn't report them? Especially when they've taken great pleasure to report even the smallest details in this train wreck situation of an " ex -afl superstar "

You are correct jail is most likely outcome, if not death for this story, tragic or otherwise.

I could easily believe he was under the influence of whatever at the time of the crash, very likely in possession of something at said time.
Do you really think if the media had these details they wouldn't report them? Especially when they've taken great pleasure to report even the smallest details in this train wreck situation of an " ex -afl superstar "

They did capture the details. It was on the Yahoo7 page a couple of days ago. I couldn't be bothered posting the link because I thought this thread would have been all over it.

I really hope he goes to jail. Not sure if one exists but possibly a jail where he can't get his hands on anything inside. Atleast 2-3 years, might be long enough to get him walking the straight and narrow in body and mind. That way when he does get out his mind is strong enough to not fall again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a lawyer in Perth at a community legal center I actually kind of agree with stronger powers for the courts to order a person in this situation to mandatory detention and treatment.

I say this as your typical leftie SJW too.

Cops arrest someone acting 'erratically'. They take the person to Bentley or Graylands for assesment.

Health services can only hold the person while they're actually psychotic and most blokes get it together after a couple of days after coming down.

The health services and courts need more teeth. Fail (or miss) three drug tests and you get 6 months of lock up and rehab sort of thing.

Ben's case is one of thousands like this. His just gets attention because of who he is.

It's just heart breaking to watch. He's lucky he didn't kill someone this time.

Thanks for the perspective. I agree in the abstract but what you suggest is going down the road of taking away someone's freedom for something they might do, not have done.

The only reason was because:

Seven News Perth said a magistrate dropped the breach of bail charge on Tuesday after Cousins' lawyer Michael Tudori produced a medical certificate.

Otherwise he'd be in the lock up for breach of bail conditions right now (and wouldnt have ben granted bail on the new charges).

Thanks for the perspective. I agree in the abstract but what you suggest is going down the road of taking away someone's freedom for something they might do, not have done.

Only in circumstances where they fail 3 drug tests (as a condition of bail), or are mentally ill and a psych recommends it. Something like that. If you're a junkie or a danger to yourself or others, you get 6 months of mandatory treatment.

Of course my personal view is we need two 'tiers' of jails. Ones like the ones we have now with all the raping and beatings and screws and so forth, and a seperate one where the 'good' prisoners go, with a focus on rehabilitation, where you get TAFE/ skills training, limited community release and so forth.

Just more teeth to the current revolving door system (which costs more money, and totally fails people like Ben).

Amazed he's not in jail.
I said it months back, maybe a year, but he needs to be put in some kind of custody for his own good.
Then put through treatment.

Not sure anything like that really exists though.

Amazed he's not in jail.
I said it months back, maybe a year, but he needs to be put in some kind of custody for his own good.
Then put through treatment.

Not sure anything like that really exists though.

As I said in an earlier post..

Why does he deserve any special attention over any other addict?

It is diabolical that he has breached an AVO by his partner yet been allowed out on bail.

I don't give a shit what he does to himself but his actions are now involving members of the community, crashed with a truck probably off his dial and arrested for possession, breached an AVO.

The last incident involved grabbing a motor bike from it's rider as Cousins was standing on the freeway flagging traffic down. Why the hell is this behaviour going unpunished, If his name wasn't Ben Cousins he would be in jail by now.

Get him off the streets before he seriously hurts a member of the public who are just going about their business.

He probably wouldn't go to jail anyway. Would most likely head into a mental health facility. I guess we just have to wait until he either kills himself or someone else before anything gets done.

It is diabolical that he has breached an AVO by his partner yet been allowed out on bail.

I don't give a shit what he does to himself but his actions are now involving members of the community, crashed with a truck probably off his dial and arrested for possession, breached an AVO.

The last incident involved grabbing a motor bike from it's rider as Cousins was standing on the freeway flagging traffic down. Why the hell is this behaviour going unpunished, If his name wasn't Ben Cousins he would be in jail by now.

Get him off the streets before he seriously hurts a member of the public who are just going about their business.

With the recent Royal Commission into Family Violence you'd hope theres a recommendation against this sort of shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back