News Ben Cousins - turning his life around

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it is great news and hope it can help set him on the right path. We all want the best for him.

West Coast and the AFL need to try to look after their own and I would guess that West Coast have done this with the full knowledge/consent of the AFL. If it goes pear shaped, I doubt there will be blow back on West Coast as they are really getting nothing out of this at the moment and are obviously trying to help someone. The risks to the club are minimal in my view and if he messes up, they will cut him loose. But it gives Ben an opportunity if he has some work to focus on and structure around him. Fingers crossed.

Have we heard from Chicky about this yet?

Interesting to hear what he says about it because he has been in similar circumstances to Ben post retirement and probably hasn’t been offered the same amount of help from the club.

Are we just looking after the prodigal son?

He won't be working with the team,
community type stuff. With all the best will in the world you wouldn't let him anywhere near the team until you were absolutely sure he had cleaned his act up.

Yeah maybe but the club statement states "Community and Game Development department"

All for giving someone a 2nd chance. Even a 3rd.

But not a 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th....

I don't understand why the club would go down this path, after trying for so long to put the dark past behind it.

Again, Happy to be wrong!
To my knowledge this is the first time the Club has offered Ben a position within the Club since he went astray on his drug binge/s. Sure he was offered many chances while still playing for the Club but don't think he has had much to do with the Club in latter times. Personally I think it's a good move - only time will tell but Im glad the Club is giving him a chance to turn his life around. All he has to do is grab it with both hands and not throw the chance away. The ball is in Ben's court!

For some reason the one thing I thought as soon as I heard the news though was that I hope the club has considered the potential trouble this could cause with our drafting. We had the Rances say they didn’t want Alex coming to the club because of the culture Ben helped create. If he does come back to the club, will parents be concerned enough to try and stop the club from drafting their sons? An addict just released from prison who has been said to be a negative influence (off-field) on draftees during his playing days is now back at the club around your 18 year old. I’m sure there will be some concern.

But Good on the club for trying to help him and If it does happen then I will support the club and Ben. I wish him the absolute best and would love to see him, for his kids and family, get clean, be healthy and not relapse.
A bit strange isn't it - the Rances didn't wanted Alex playing for the Eagles because of Ben & others - Rance gets picked up by Richmond and Ben ends up at Richmond as well! Classic!

A bit strange isn't it - the Rances didn't wanted Alex playing for the Eagles because of Ben & others - Rance gets picked up by Richmond and Ben ends up at Richmond as well! Classic!

Also goes directly against the very long held rumour that Murray had a chat begging west coast to draft Alex before the draft with pick 13 but hey, this rumour makes better news headlines ;)

Also goes directly against the very long held rumour that Murray had a chat begging west coast to draft Alex before the draft with pick 13 but hey, this rumour makes better news headlines ;)

Yeh not sure about the Rance’s.

I definitely remember the ex-Roo Glenn Archer saying that he wouldn’t want his son being drafted to West Coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seeing Ben in any form of the Blue and Gold is great. Really hope he gets it right this time, addiction is a shit of a thing so I'm glad we're doing our best to help a club legend.

Happy to see this. Hope it provides a way forward for Ben and his family to approach the next phase of his life in a positive manner.

On a different note, for years I've had the same recurring dream that we don't win our next premiership until Cousins makes a return to the club - we'll see how that goes now I guess.

Really proud of you blokes for doing this, you didn't have to, but your club is doing the right thing by one of their all-time greats.

As a Richmond fan, I got to see Cuzzy up close in his twilight years, and I believe he had a tremendous impact on our then young group, and in some small way, I think some of what he brought to the club's then up and comers such as Cotchin, a young Dusty, Jack, etc etc, probably in some way helped shape them as players with strong work ethic.

Say what you will about Ben, but on the field and on the training track, he gave it his all, and he deserves some support from the greater AFL community in getting his life back on track, given all the good he brought to the game of Aussie Rules.

This job opportunity is a small step in the right direction.

Great job Eagles! :thumbsu:

Well said mate. I must say I have had a soft spot for Richmond ever since they took him when no one else would, so I will always be greatfull to your club for that. Cheers for the well wishes for Ben. :)

For some reason the one thing I thought as soon as I heard the news though was that I hope the club has considered the potential trouble this could cause with our drafting. We had the Rances say they didn’t want Alex coming to the club because of the culture Ben helped create. If he does come back to the club, will parents be concerned enough to try and stop the club from drafting their sons? An addict just released from prison who has been said to be a negative influence (off-field) on draftees during his playing days is now back at the club around your 18 year old. I’m sure there will be some concern.

But Good on the club for trying to help him and If it does happen then I will support the club and Ben. I wish him the absolute best and would love to see him, for his kids and family, get clean, be healthy and not relapse.

Are you sure this is true? I heard it was the Cotchins.

What is that role though? Could end up being a flash name for answeing phone calls for wc memberships.
I heard he is pretty good at making lots of phone calls....
Damn now I feel like a dirty dockers supporter making jokes at his expense.

Truely hope he gets his life back on track and glad the club are helping him out with the job offer.

To my knowledge this is the first time the Club has offered Ben a position within the Club since he went astray on his drug binge/s. Sure he was offered many chances while still playing for the Club but don't think he has had much to do with the Club in latter times. Personally I think it's a good move - only time will tell but Im glad the Club is giving him a chance to turn his life around. All he has to do is grab it with both hands and not throw the chance away. The ball is in Ben's court!

Pretty sure the club offered him employment and the same role in a bid for him to avoid jail time. Good to see the club kept it's promise.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Ben Cousins - turning his life around

Remove this Banner Ad

Back