Speculation Ben Hobbs [OOC 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Inside mid stuck behind, Merrett, Parish, Caldwell and Durham whilst also fighting Tsatas and Perkins for midfield minutes

I'd be considering my options if I were him, he'd play big minutes in his preferred role at plenty of clubs including good teams like Collingwood.

he is not getting games because he was stuck behind others, he has regressed a fair bit.

Parish has been injured, Tsatas and Perkins also have not been playing due to their form, and hobbs still hasn't been consistently getting games.

Inside mid stuck behind, Merrett, Parish, Caldwell and Durham whilst also fighting Tsatas and Perkins for midfield minutes

I'd be considering my options if I were him, he'd play big minutes in his preferred role at plenty of clubs including good teams like Collingwood.
A lot of them players come to Essendon with big wraps, and not a lot has happened with them.

Looked decent in the limited senior opportunities he's had.

If I was the Dons I'd try and trade out Parish (who would get much more in return) and back Hobbs/Perkins/Tsatas to improve.
Plenty of fans want this to happen, it won't. We'll keep them all and try force them into unnatural positions and likely stunt development.

This makes no sense at all to me. No idea why we'd be interested. Another one paced inside mid with average disposal. No thanks.

Reminds me of the pug from Mitchell’s vs machines

Dog Puppy GIF by Sony Pictures Animation

Alright real talk for a minute....

Bit of a weird one In my opinion. Where do Essendon see they are at, topped up last year and now don't seem to have the room for a few recent draftees.

If Essendon feel they are only a few pieces away they should continue down that path and target those players, and by all means you could use Hobbs as a piece in those trades, just improve the best 22.

Otherwise if they think a rebuild/refresh is on the cards for the next year or 2 than they should be fighting to keep this guy and pump games into him and a few of his peers, really see if he is apart of that next core.

Isn't trading him out for a draft pick just a sideways move and kicking the can down the road but not improving?

I might be a minority but even 'winning' a Hobbs trade for a good pick does nothing for them, isn't it possible the same talent and list management will go and pick another talented kid that 3 years doesn't fit the new direction they have decided to go and is moved on aswell. Rinse and repeat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alright real talk for a minute....

Bit of a weird one In my opinion. Where do Essendon see they are at, topped up last year and now don't seem to have the room for a few recent draftees.

If Essendon feel they are only a few pieces away they should continue down that path and target those players, and by all means you could use Hobbs as a piece in those trades, just improve the best 22.

Otherwise if they think a rebuild/refresh is on the cards for the next year or 2 than they should be fighting to keep this guy and pump games into him and a few of his peers, really see if he is apart of that next core.

Isn't trading him out for a draft pick just a sideways move and kicking the can down the road but not improving?

I might be a minority but even 'winning' a Hobbs trade for a good pick does nothing for them, isn't it possible the same talent and list management will go and pick another talented kid that 3 years doesn't fit the new direction they have decided to go and is moved on aswell. Rinse and repeat.
I think it would be more Hobbs asking for a trade, not Ess looking to get rid of him.

He's contracted. Unless they don't rate him at all surely they'd want a late first rounder to move him on. And is he really worth that?

That’s my take too. If Essendon is willing to let him go for peanuts than we must really not rate him given his contract status.

That being said betting against the talent evaluators who let D’Ambrosio walk and drafted a bloke who can’t kick with a top 5 pick might not be the worst move.

From the sidelines I’d love us to pay a huge chunk of Parish’s money and then move him on for the best offer.

I think it would be more Hobbs asking for a trade, not Ess looking to get rid of him.
Wouldn’t want him if that was the case.
He needs to grit it out at his club and win a permanent midfield spot through talent and work.

It’s not as if he has that many grunt inside mids ahead of him.

From the outside he looks one paced and unable to accumulate at the level.

Wouldn’t want him if that was the case.
He needs to grit it out at his club and win a permanent midfield spot through talent and work.

It’s not as if he has that many grunt inside mids ahead of him.

From the outside he looks one paced and unable to accumulate at the level.

Don’t disagree on the one paced comments but the high half forward role at Essendon is a fairly low possession/impact role. Think he would have no issues accumulating as a full time mid. The only issue is he good enough to deserve that opportunity at AFL level.

He’s fairly creative by hand and is hard at it but his kicking lacks penetration at times. I think if he’s gonna make it at as a full time mid at AFL level he needs to really improve his endurance as I don’t think he’s got quite that dynamic clearance ability that guys like Neale, Parish, Mitchell have built their game around.

I have a hard time writing him off though as I think he’s the type to leave no stone unturned in getting the best out of himself.

Third year in playing reserves. I'd expect we could get him at a discounted price if we offered something.

What would bombers fans want out of curiosity if he was to leave?

very late first/early second

somewhere around that as he is contracted.

If he is actively asking to leave probably mid 2nd ish.

He is worth a pick between 25 and 35 at best. He is unproven despite his 1st round draft status. Dudaro would want a 1st rounder for him though so its most likely he'll stay at the Bombers.

I'd rather Erasmus from the Dockers who is a similar player and a 30+ pick in a trade.

Don’t disagree on the one paced comments but the high half forward role at Essendon is a fairly low possession/impact role. Think he would have no issues accumulating as a full time mid. The only issue is he good enough to deserve that opportunity at AFL level.

He’s fairly creative by hand and is hard at it but his kicking lacks penetration at times. I think if he’s gonna make it at as a full time mid at AFL level he needs to really improve his endurance as I don’t think he’s got quite that dynamic clearance ability that guys like Neale, Parish, Mitchell have built their game around.

I have a hard time writing him off though as I think he’s the type to leave no stone unturned in getting the best out of himself.
I wouldn’t write him off at all.
If I was the coach I’d put it back on him to show some grit and earn a regular spot in the team.

Like you said, being one paced is fine if you have the endurance to get to more contests than your opponent. And have the ability to win your share of clearances. For me that’s what he can work on.

Pace and lack of penetration in kicking can be ignored if he can improve the above.

Hard to tell which way he will go. I wouldn’t be entertaining any thought of a trade if I were the Bombers though. I’d back him in.

If I were Richmond, I’d be looking at him, Macrae from Collingwood and Peatling from GWS with the aim of trading for one of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Ben Hobbs [OOC 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back