Recommitted Mac Andrew [Signs until at least 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

With all due respect, as a Sydney fan, you're not in a position to to say 'move on'. If the AFL took Heeney off you out of nowhere you wouldn't be half the team. I will continue to make noise about this issue until we either get compensated or the AFL acknowledge their completely inept running, the nga is scrapped altogether or when Mac Andrew eventually retires. It was a bloody disgrace with huge ladder ramifications. Especially when we're basically looking at a ladder which is basically a perfect reflection of how much the club has been kissed with NGA's.

I will happily be using it as a very valid excuse for the next 10 years of Mac's career.

I fully agree, with one part. NGA's should be abolished - immediately

I actually think NGA should be abolished. I actually don’t have a problem with the northern academies. I think there’s a place for them. Perhaps NGA should be further refined. A player like Mac is a guy who was born overseas and possibly wouldn’t be playing AFL without the Dees academy. Some others are playing footy regardless. Northern academies definitely help keep players in the system.

I actually think NGA should be abolished. I actually don’t have a problem with the northern academies. I think there’s a place for them. Perhaps NGA should be further refined. A player like Mac is a guy who was born overseas and possibly wouldn’t be playing AFL without the Dees academy. Some others are playing footy regardless. Northern academies definitely help keep players in the system.
Not at this point. There are more registered AFL players in NSW than there is in SA for instance.
It's also worth noting that in the last decade there has been a substantial increase in registered AFL players in each mainland state abd territory, except SA, which has had a substantial decline.

This is a waste of a thread, purely based of some rumored offer (probably started by Macs manager to draw a line in the sand regarding Macs extension with the Suns)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
You don’t think the offer is real?

Season 17 What GIF by America's Got Talent

That’s a bargain, that averages out to $1.3mil a year.

For context, Franklin signed for $1.1mil a year when the salary cap was $9.951M in 2013.

In 2025, the salary cap is $17.7 Million. Mac’s contract would be the equivalent value of signing for $730,000 a year in 2013.
There is no bargain on 13 year contracts...

For context, Franklin signed for $1.1mil a year when the salary cap was $9.951M in 2013.

In 2025, the salary cap is $17.7 Million. Mac’s contract would be the equivalent value of signing for $730,000 a year in 2013.
He’d been offered upwards of $1.6 by the Hawks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I fully agree, with one part. NGA's should be abolished - immediately
the problem is, some clubs like Sydney, Dogs and pies have already built lists on their academy players. the damage has been done. I mean without Heeney you lose the match to GWS and your season is on the brink of finishing.

Meanwhile, another day rolls on and Dees miss out on yet another NGA academy player in Tairon Ah-mu. Gotta love the afl shaping the ladder with their nga rules.

It’s a 9 year contract that has a safety net at the 5 year mark if Mac gets injured and has to retire early. That’s a great deal
Ahhh, to be fair, worded very poorly from old mate. 9 years is crazy (long contracts are crazy fullstop) but it's a crazy market

There is no bargain on 13 year contracts...

Next minute Freo sign Bolton on a 19 year deal until he is 45 but still only offer the Tigers pick 63 because he isn't that good

Ahhh, to be fair, worded very poorly from old mate. 9 years is crazy (long contracts are crazy fullstop) but it's a crazy market
100%, I read it as like 13 years and was not very switched on. It doesn't sound quite as bad now. I'd much prefer 5 year deals with a games trigger for 4 extra years than 7 years no trigger for Jacob Hopper.

100%, I read it as like 13 years and was not very switched on. It doesn't sound quite as bad now. I'd much prefer 5 year deals with a games trigger for 4 extra years than 7 years no trigger for Jacob Hopper.
Yeah, I mean, he literally says nine years then triggers ANOTHER 4. Stupid Morris

Considering he was looking at $1.5m pa on the open market, he's taken a pay cut (on a potentially longer deal) to stay

Lance was the number 1 player in the league at that time. Mac has a lot of potential but still has a long way to go.

Lance was the number 1 player in the league at that time. Mac has a lot of potential but still has a long way to go.
That’s true, but also for comparison in 2013 there were 41 players earning $700,000 - $900,000 a year. So Mac would have roughly the 40th most expensive contract in the league in 2013.

It is mostly potential, but being able to sign him for unders for so long is incredible for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Mac Andrew [Signs until at least 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back