TheClokes

Cancelled
Apr 7, 2005
In Berlin, by the wall
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Lord Auch
Both players are very versatile. Will Collingwood swing them forward and back (based on match ups)?

I think Ben will play on the average full forwards (running off them); while Chris will play full back on the much stronger stay-home full forwards - such as: Franklin and Fevola (who need to be checked closely).

So assuming this, both Ben and Chris will have to become accustomed to playing a third tall role in the forward line, when not needed in defence.

Chris can play small aswell. I think he will be used as a genuine swing man / bit parts player. Used on say a Milne to free Benny J up the field, or a CHF to allow Reid to play loose or on occasions thrown foward when the mix isn't working right.

Reid having just played his breakout season won't go foward this year. He will play CHB and as a loose HBF. I'd still like to see him tried foward again in his career if there was ever a need. I still think he is our most talanted foward option but the way he has settled into the backline unless there is a dire need for it I think it's worth just keeping him there.

Tarrant, Yes, Reid, NO.

Reid is our CHB, I am steadfast in the opinion that he can be All Australian, even as early as next year, as a permanent full back, plus we don't want to go and blow his confidence away by moving him forward and bringing back his kicking "yips".

Tarrant and to a lesser extent Jack Anthony will be the 2 tall "swingman" we have as options in 2011.

I love Reid at CHB, not only does he beat his opponent but he provides so much drive.:thumbsu:

So does our back-line look something like this:

B: O'Brien - N. Brown - Tarrant
HB: Shaw - Reid - Maxwell​

So what happens with: Goldsack, Toovey, and Johnson?

It might unsettle the backline swapping and changing the back six

I think Chris will play on the oppositions most dangerous medium/small forward mostly allowing Presti to play full back and Reid centre half back.
Will depend on matchups and will get different types of forwards every week.

Checking some of his footage he looks just so settled down back and I think really should stay there if anything rather than move forward again.

If Dawes/ Cloke get injured then you can start thinking about it, but I would focus on him playing as a James Clement type defender to take the most dangerous forward.

Reid should play as per 2010. Looks so much more comfortable and suited to playing down back. Really think he will be used as more of an offensive weapon off half back next year with his long range pin point kicking.
I think he will be able to hurt some teams.

Chris can play small aswell. I think he will be used as a genuine swing man / bit parts player. Used on say a Milne to free Benny J up the field, or a CHF to allow Reid to play loose or on occasions thrown foward when the mix isn't working right.

Reid having just played his breakout season won't go foward this year. He will play CHB and as a loose HBF. I'd still like to see him tried foward again in his career if there was ever a need. I still think he is our most talanted foward option but the way he has settled into the backline unless there is a dire need for it I think it's worth just keeping him there.

I can just imagine Milne walking to position with Tarrant looking at him with a big grin on his face.

Milne just looks at Taz's arms and says "****".

If there's one player Tarrant should never play on again, it's Milne.

This year at Subi, Milne kicked Tarrant's arse, in fact in the was the defining matchup of a game Stkilda won.

Johnson can take Milne every time we play the Aints, with Harry backing him up, NO TARRANT ON MILNE, EVER.

As good as Tarrant has become as a defender, he still isn't a great "small man defender", he is suited to the medium and tall forwards.

If we are up by 8 goals at 3/4 time next year throughout the season, we should chuck Reid up forward for the last quarter to give him some experience.

It could prove useful if Cloke or Dawes goes down.

If there's one player Tarrant should never play on again, it's Milne.

This year at Subi, Milne kicked Tarrant's arse, in fact in the was the defining matchup of a game Stkilda won.

Johnson can take Milne every time we play the Aints, with Harry backing him up, NO TARRANT ON MILNE, EVER.

As good as Tarrant has become as a defender, he still isn't a great "small man defender", he is suited to the medium and tall forwards.

As someone who was at the game I can totally revoke the above and add that Tarrant shut Milne down after half time. Prior to this he had kicked goals on Hayden and Van Berlo. Also Tarrant has completely destroyed Mark LeCras numerous times, which is no mean feat given the form of LeCras over the last 2 years. Very sad to lose Tarrant from our defense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So does our back-line look something like this:

B: O'Brien - N. Brown - Tarrant
HB: Shaw - Reid - Maxwell​

So what happens with: Goldsack, Toovey, and Johnson?

It might unsettle the backline swapping and changing the back six

Out of those 3 Toovey is definitely a starting 22 player.

Our list is in a funny shape. We don't seem to have any reserve key forwards or medium forwards at all!

This means defenders such as Tarrant, Reid, N Brown or backup ruck L Brown will have to pinch hit forward if needed.

Get the feeling we will draft a key forward and a medium forward for sure.

I can't help but feel that many of us are being led astray by Tarrant's reinvention of himself as a back at Freemantle. All that really shows (IMHO) is that he's learned to be even more flexible and adaptive than he once was. I think that now he'll just play wherever he's needed, probably mostly in the forwards unless there's a particular job to do down back that he can do better than the others. And if you think about how the injuries occur, between both the forwards and the backs there's usually someone a bit tender, so now, that's where Tarrant goes, all else being equal.

Out of those 3 Toovey is definitely a starting 22 player.

Agreed, but Toovey won't only be a defender next year. I heard Mick in an interview and he said that he wants to be able to use Toovey further up the ground next year, perhaps as a pure tagger who goes back depending on matchups? With his pace, 1 on 1 ability, concentration and athleticism he could be an absolute gun tagger if he built his engine enough.

The only roles absent on our list seem to be a tagger and a dangerous medium forward. I think Toovey could fill one of those roles, perhaps allowing Johnson (or maybe even Buckley?) to play back more often considering that we generally play 7 defenders.

Our list is in a funny shape. We don't seem to have any reserve key forwards or medium forwards at all!

This means defenders such as Tarrant, Reid, N Brown or backup ruck L Brown will have to pinch hit forward if needed.

Get the feeling we will draft a key forward and a medium forward for sure.

So in other words we DO have reserve key forwards. If any of them play forward they'll do more than pinch hit. In fact we have four of them, one of whom who won AA selection as a key forward.

Dont disagree that we might like to draft another for the next generation but we're no worse off than last year. In fact we're better off - Tarrant is a far better footballer than Anthony.

Regarding the backup forward issue...there is no issue.

Assume we pick up no other key forwards (although I'd still be tempted by a Cameron Cloke type player in the preseason draft to cover Brown's important role/s if he got injured/suspended).

With the new bench rule especially you would think no more than 2 tall forwards (Cloke and Dawes) a third forward who can pinch hit in the ruck (Brown) and 1 Ruckman (Jolly) are needed.

Tarrant already gives us a 4th option re a key forward position in case of injury and suspension.

Finally, if say Tarrant gets injured and Dawes as well, I would think Wood will and should get the role in the ruck and allow Jolly to spend more time up forward.

So with no Medhurst and JA it most likely means that with enough bad luck - Wood may get the game time needed to improve in the ruck whilst Jolly can be rested in the forward line - a double blessing in disguise in my eyes.

Assume we pick up no other key forwards (although I'd still be tempted by a Cameron Cloke type player in the preseason draft to cover Brown's important role/s if he got injured/suspended).

No thanks

We have Wood Keefe and possibly Macnamara and Ceglar, depending upon their development. We dont need another filler.

So if L.Brown gets suspended for a month who gives Jolly a break?

Please do not mention Dawes re his knee issues in the past.

I assume you would say Wood comes in?

I remember reading a few clubs had delisted some 3rd/4th string ruckmen. Melbourne I think delisted two?
But really how many ruckmen are enough?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben Reid and Chris Tarrant

Remove this Banner Ad

Back