Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Integrity can take a beating in these matches. Somewhere along the line, a club is going to complain about the effort of the players that get handed over to Maryborough.

Is someone going to go hell for leather playing against his own club knowing they need to bridge a percentage gap?

Are they going to lay a solid hip-and-shoulder on a club mate and risk injuring a gun on-baller?

Are they going to play the role of defender with as much heart as a Maryborough player and try not to concede marks or goals?

The scenario that is playing out where not even one open-age football team is being filled currently suggests that the BFNL is not the suitable place for the club in 2025.
Not quite the same but in underage footy there was always fill ins from the other team and often they were fringe players. They were told, you're playing for a spot in your own team next week and they would go in hard against their own teammates as they had something to prove.

Not quite the same but in underage footy there was always fill ins from the other team and often they were fringe players. They were told, you're playing for a spot in your own team next week and they would go in hard against their own teammates as they had something to prove.
We used to switch it around each quarter when I was a junior, it was good to go against your mates fir a qtr.

I can't believe a town the size of maryborough has only 16 players available to play. I know the town has many clubs recruit out of maryborough, but that's a really unwell club. It's really sad for footy in the area. If they apply for the mcdfl perry has to be coach. Unless he wants to play at a higher level. Not sure many others on the list are major league footballers. Where do the best kids go to now? I know they've had a bit of talent in the under 16s, where do those kids go, Hesd into Ballarat to better their footy?

I'd hope the giants, Carisbrook, navarre, Avoca and whoever else is close all come together and hold a meeting. All going into the same league, won't help the clubs. There's still the same amount of players in the maryborough area player pool

Also where to for the bfl? Why are aflcv filling in with numbers to get them through the year. You can't ask for 6 players from the opposition. Even get 6 players in from the bye mcdfl teams to get them through

2 clubs lost in 2 years, bfl board, there's a problem, how about a bit of transparency now instead of the bullshit articles in the addy

For those interested in our plight at Maryborough FNC an update,

- Saturday was a hard day with low numbers and as mentioned we did have a few from the opposition play for us. Kudos to Kangaroo Flat for their help and support on the day in what was a challenge for us. We are determined to play out the year and I believe we will achieve it. It is not perfect for opposition clubs but I am of the opinion it is better to have a game of football rather than a forfeit. This was the hardest day we have experienced and I think the issue of numerous injuries, terrible weather and school holidays did conspire against us. Our boys again gave their all and many other higher profile clubs with highly paid and often ‘arrogant’ players could really learn a lesson in sticking it out when things are hard rather than asking for a clearance elsewhere.

- As I have mentioned many times, football around Maryborough is doing it tough. Many clubs including ours are finding it hard with finding numbers to field teams every Saturday. The pool of players in town is small and clubs are bringing in players from ‘far and wide’ at often exorbitant costs to put sides on the field. Whilst we are very financial, recruitment is not easy as who wants to play for a club that has struggled on field and potentially an uncertain future. Recruiting high profile and well credentialed players has been discussed and over the past off season we actively went out looking for players with little success. As a club we are not going to get into bidding wars for players wanting money that is way above their level of ability. I can state many of these are going around in the MCDFNL and elsewhere due to clubs just needing the numbers.

- As for our future, we are exploring the MCDFNL option at this time. Whether we stand alone or merge is yet to be confirmed. All options are being looked at. I hope that we can stand alone wherever we end up but we need to continue with the thorough and detailed process that we are undertaking to make sure we can achieve the right outcome whilst allowing our stakeholders and members to have all information when making a decision on what we do in 2025.

Good to have a week off this weekend and move forward for the remainder of the year. We are doing it tough but the players, members and supporters of the club have been amazing this year. The resolve and resilience around the club and its future has not been stronger in years. Whilst tough times can be hard, the wheel eventually moves and success will happen. I am sure we as a club will come through this and get back to some on field football success. It should be mentioned our netball and juniors are having terrific years.

And still no comment of any substance from the league

I did hear from a mate In Gisborne recently. He was called from a bendigo board member to stop discussing Gisborne leaving the comp. Seriously - calling randoms who are just discussing what they think are positives for their club ! Are they that spineless ?? I have been told that as soon and a couple of staunch bendigo loving committee are ousted then gizzy are GONE - giants in rdfl going to really thin them out and fast so move can’t be delayed

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We used to switch it around each quarter when I was a junior, it was good to go against your mates fir a qtr.

I can't believe a town the size of maryborough has only 16 players available to play. I know the town has many clubs recruit out of maryborough, but that's a really unwell club. It's really sad for footy in the area. If they apply for the mcdfl perry has to be coach. Unless he wants to play at a higher level. Not sure many others on the list are major league footballers. Where do the best kids go to now? I know they've had a bit of talent in the under 16s, where do those kids go, Hesd into Ballarat to better their footy?

I'd hope the giants, Carisbrook, navarre, Avoca and whoever else is close all come together and hold a meeting. All going into the same league, won't help the clubs. There's still the same amount of players in the maryborough area player pool

Also where to for the bfl? Why are aflcv filling in with numbers to get them through the year. You can't ask for 6 players from the opposition. Even get 6 players in from the bye mcdfl teams to get them through

2 clubs lost in 2 years, bfl board, there's a problem, how about a bit of transparency now instead of the bullshit articles in the addy
Add Natte Talbot and Dunolly.
Navarre are over 50ks from Maryborough so they wouldn’t be in any local meeting.
Sorry to say this but let’s not sugarcoat it. Maryborough FNC club need to find a merge partner as they lack 15/20 players.
Even if they somehow recruited those it comes at the expense of one of the above mentioned so the problem would continue for another club.

Something else for everyone to think about, So BFNL Interleague has been trimmed to 33 players today with the final 22 being picked from that. What are peoples thoughts on what the final 22 could look like?

BFNL SQUAD OF 33:

Michael Hartley (Castlemaine)
Charlie Langford (Eaglehawk)
Jack Reaper (Gisborne)
Jed Denahy (Gisborne)
Pat McKenna (Gisborne)
Zac Vescovi (Gisborne)
Jack Stewart (Golden Square)
Jayden Burke (Golden Square)
Jordan Rosengren (Golden Square)
Macey Eaton (Golden Square)
Ricky Monti (Golden Square)
Tom Strauch (Golden Square)
Luke Ellings (Kangaroo Flat)
Jack Lefroy (Kangaroo Flat)
Coby Perry (Maryborough)
Kya Lanfranchi (Maryborough)
Cobi Maxted (Sandhurst)
Cooper Smith (Sandhurst)
Fergus Greene (Sandhurst)
Jake McLean (Sandhurst)
Lachlan Tardrew (Sandhurst)
Isaac Ruff (Sandhurst)
Brock Harvey (South Bendigo)
Brody Haddow (South Bendigo)
Isaiah Miller (South Bendigo)
Cooper Jones (Strathfieldsaye)
Daniel Clohesy (Strathfieldsaye)
James Schischka (Strathfieldsaye)
Lachlan Ratcliffe (Strathfieldsaye)
Lachlan Gill (Strathfieldsaye)
Matt Harvey (Strathfieldsaye)
Caleb Ernst (Strathfieldsaye)
Malik Gordon (Strathfieldsaye)

who will ruck
Has to be Ernst doesn't it - who else can be used? In this regard I don't understand the absence of Frost and/or Daniels.

If that is odd, what about the non selection of Bernacki who is arguably the best player in the competition. (Toss the coin with Tardrew). Is he injured or unavailable? What is the story there?

Has to be Ernst doesn't it - who else can be used? In this regard I don't understand the absence of Frost and/or Daniels.

If that is odd, what about the non selection of Bernacki who is arguably the best player in the competition. (Toss the coin with Tardrew). Is he injured or unavailable? What is the story there?
I'd guess, like with most interleague these days, that a number of the better players have chosen a week off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NCFL also only had U16’s back then. Playing U18’s may have been better for his development instead of having to play reserves at Boort.

Yeah that is true, and to be fair he was in the middle of a couple of off years for Boort's juniors, I am sure there was a bit of pressure on him to be a successful player as well.

The Courier

CHFL considers club's interest joining competition next year
By David Brehaut
Updated July 2 2024 - 12:09pm.
The Central Highlands Football League is considering an approach from a club about the possibility of it becoming the competition's 18th team next season.
Maryborough Football Netball Club has lodged an expression of interest with the CHFL on the possibility of joining in 2025.
The Maryborough Magpies are looking into leaving the Bendigo league, with the CHFL among destinations it is investigating as a possible future home.
The CHFL has comprised of 17 clubs since Smythesdale left and ultimately disbanded at the end of 2018.
CHFL president Doug Hobson said Maryborough had initially made an informal approach to himself - outlining its status and what options it believed were open to it.
He said this had been followed by an expression of interest as part of the club's process of feeling out the thoughts of possible destinations.
Hobson said Maryborough had stated in the correspondence that its preference was to join the Maryborough Castlemaine District Football League, but all options were being investigated.
He said the CHFL board was in the process of canvassing all 17 clubs for their views on the possibility of adding Maryborough to the competition.
Hobson said the feedback would determine what direction the process would take - including further investigations by either party.
He said ultimately the addition of an 18th club would need the formal support of a majority of clubs.
The CHFL was a 14-team competition until 2010, after which Skipton, Carngham-Linton, Rokewood-Corindhap and Smythesdale joined as a result of the Lexton Plains league being disbanded.
Maryborough confirmed in May that this season might be its last in the Bendigo league.
The Magpies joined the competition in 1992 after leaving the Ballarat Football League, where it had played continually since 1946
They won premierships in 1998 and 1999, but have struggled for the past decade, being winless in four seasons and finishing on the bottom five times.
Maryborough is yet to win this season and has a percentage of 14.77.
It has not fielded a reserves team since round two, but does have an under-18 team.
The township of Maryborough already has a presence in the MCDFNL, with the Maryborough Giants becoming a new entity this season with the merger of Maryborough Rovers and Royal Park.

Being in the CHFL could be a positive point of difference in the town.

They are now a point of difference (as a BFNL club) but obviously it doesn't appeal to potential recruits as they can't match it with the other BFNL clubs.

Maybe being a member of the CHFL will attract a few new players, including those who want to join Maryborough but don't want to play against their old club in the MCDFNL.

The club is at a point where every option needs to be considered and, if the CHFL clubs are receptive, is one potential course to take.

They are making multiple queries from what the Courier article said.

The first preference seems to be MCDFNL and the second preference sounds like CHFL. If they end up in the latter, they will be a point of difference.
I don't think it will be good for the area if they join MCDFNL. There is already to many clubs in the area as it is in that comp. I think they would be more attractive if they went to Central Highlands. Though it will be good to see them finally get some wins on the board and watch the confidence of the younger blokes rise

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Something else for everyone to think about, So BFNL Interleague has been trimmed to 33 players today with the final 22 being picked from that. What are peoples thoughts on what the final 22 could look like?

BFNL SQUAD OF 33:

Michael Hartley (Castlemaine)
Charlie Langford (Eaglehawk)
Jack Reaper (Gisborne)
Jed Denahy (Gisborne)
Pat McKenna (Gisborne)
Zac Vescovi (Gisborne)
Jack Stewart (Golden Square)
Jayden Burke (Golden Square)
Jordan Rosengren (Golden Square)
Macey Eaton (Golden Square)
Ricky Monti (Golden Square)
Tom Strauch (Golden Square)
Luke Ellings (Kangaroo Flat)
Jack Lefroy (Kangaroo Flat)
Coby Perry (Maryborough)
Kya Lanfranchi (Maryborough)
Cobi Maxted (Sandhurst)
Cooper Smith (Sandhurst)
Fergus Greene (Sandhurst)
Jake McLean (Sandhurst)
Lachlan Tardrew (Sandhurst)
Isaac Ruff (Sandhurst)
Brock Harvey (South Bendigo)
Brody Haddow (South Bendigo)
Isaiah Miller (South Bendigo)
Cooper Jones (Strathfieldsaye)
Daniel Clohesy (Strathfieldsaye)
James Schischka (Strathfieldsaye)
Lachlan Ratcliffe (Strathfieldsaye)
Lachlan Gill (Strathfieldsaye)
Matt Harvey (Strathfieldsaye)
Caleb Ernst (Strathfieldsaye)
Malik Gordon (Strathfieldsaye)
No Bernaki, What The ?

Elephant in the room is what if clubs in either the Maryborough-Castlemaine or Central Highlands leagues don’t want Maryborough to join in 2025? What happens then? Can’t be discounted because of parlous state of playing list in footy and no A grade netball team.

They are making multiple queries from what the Courier article said.

The first preference seems to be MCDFNL and the second preference sounds like CHFL. If they end up in the latter, they will be a point of difference.

MCDFL is the obvious choice to me. Playing towns you have no connection with in the potato mud isn’t going to appeal to anyone.

I’m still expecting a merger with the Giants will happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back