Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone with half a brain can see that is an abject failure of policy, it’s just unfortunate it’s half too many for AFL VIC.

A system that rewards a player by deducting points for one year of loyalty is a failure.

No player should drop any points until they have served three seasons with the same club (i.e. shown loyalty to a club). Only at that point should a player drop a point a season until they become a one-point player.

A system that rewards a player by deducting points for one year of loyalty is a failure.

No player should drop any points until they have served three seasons with the same club (i.e. shown loyalty to a club). Only at that point should a player drop a point a season until they become a one-point player.

I don’t disagree but it’s not clubs fault that the system is the way it is

Wasnt he a Harcourt junior. What do you propose to replace the current points system. The system as wrong or right as you perceive at least provides a framework for everyone to work within. If you cant keep your juniors bad luck. Wouldnt have gone where hes gone in his footy career unless he thought it was good for him, which includes not playing at Castlemaine. Again the constant Castlemaine winge with no solution. Have a look within perhaps.

Maybe instead of whinging about me whinging try reading the board. If you did you’ll see I have posted several times about ways the points system could actually be effective.

Here’s the summary:

1. To be a one pointer you can only ever have played at the one club from juniors to seniors. (Or one senior club from junior clubs without seniors).
2. If you leave and play VFL, different clubs etc you carry the points you are worth forever more.
3. Point 2 players returning to original club receive a one point deduction.
4. Players changing to another club in same league carry a 1 point loading. If the club they move to has more games over the previous two seasons then it becomes 2 points.
5. Loyalty deductions are 100 games with club -1 point, 150 -2, and so on every 50 games.

Exactly, so we get the farcical situation where Gisborne can poach a former junior from a struggling club, and he is the Michelson medalist and carries a single point into their games.

Anyone with half a brain can see that is an abject failure of policy, it’s just unfortunate it’s half too many for AFL VIC.

Over the years Gisborne has played with virtually all one pointers in some games…
They’ve been given a points allocation like every club in the league…. Their point allocation is typically in line with the lowest in the league.

The player in question has played at Harcourt Sandhurst Castlemaine and Gisborne and has now played at Gisborne for four years….

It look like he has now players more games at Gisborne than Castlemaine….

Over the past 15 or so years Gisborne is hardly the club that pays over to odds for mercenaries..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree wholeheartedly but not in the case of a club going into recess.

How Gisborne can be allowed to have three Castlemaine kids playing in the Grand Final team and get points discounts for them is why the system is a joke and doing squat to change anything.
Oh seriously. Someone put out a memo everyone has to play for Castlemaine.

I think most of the things you say are valid and worth discussing but when you talk about Castlemaine & weaker clubs players going somewhere else I think you miss the mark. The key is to make your club a place people want to play and can succeed now I understand it’s hard and there are lots of factors clubs don’t control but you can’t surely tell me the only reason Castlemaine has struggled for last 15 years is because of other clubs and factors not their control.

The steps taken this year and hopefully continue for many more years are huge and good to see and from convos I had with some young Castlemaine players during the year it is somewhere they want to be now they want to build something there.

My god are the addy going to write a feature article on every Sandhurst player, enough. Ass kissing at its finest.
The grand final was five days ago, what about some follow up analysis on crowd size, gate takings, compared to neighbouring major leagues like the GV, Ballarat and North Central. And if the Adam B was so adamant Broadford was a lock in coming into the comp let's see that fleshed out with a few comments from the BFL chair and Broadford pres.

Over the years Gisborne has played with virtually all one pointers in some games…
They’ve been given a points allocation like every club in the league…. Their point allocation is typically in line with the lowest in the league.

The player in question has played at Harcourt Sandhurst Castlemaine and Gisborne and has now played at Gisborne for four years….

It look like he has now players more games at Gisborne than Castlemaine….

Over the past 15 or so years Gisborne is hardly the club that pays over to odds for mercenaries..

Three of the starting 18 on Saturday were pinched from Castlemaine so I’m not sure they are operating all that purely.

You are correct about the points allocation and that proves the point the system is broken. The best teams should be struggling to fit everyone in, just like a strong AFL club does with the salary cap and yet they are all doing it easily.

And you are again correct about the player in questions history and again that proves the point. Someone with that history should be carrying maximum points all the time, not being treated as a loyal one club player after a few years of service.

Oh seriously. Someone put out a memo everyone has to play for Castlemaine.

I think most of the things you say are valid and worth discussing but when you talk about Castlemaine & weaker clubs players going somewhere else I think you miss the mark. The key is to make your club a place people want to play and can succeed now I understand it’s hard and there are lots of factors clubs don’t control but you can’t surely tell me the only reason Castlemaine has struggled for last 15 years is because of other clubs and factors not their control.

The steps taken this year and hopefully continue for many more years are huge and good to see and from convos I had with some young Castlemaine players during the year it is somewhere they want to be now they want to build something there.

You’ve added one and one and got six here. No one ever has said anything remotely like that’s the only reason Castlemaine or any other club has struggled, but it is the part the administration of the game can control.

And for me being a club people want to play at is probably the biggest myth in football and that is further enhanced by your final comments.
Castlemaine isn’t any different this year than last year or nearly any other year. The only difference is they stumped up and got some good players in and won some games. The people around the place are the same, same functions, same atmosphere, same everything.
When people talk about culture etc in clubs generally it is code for do they win or lose more often in my opinion.

Three of the starting 18 on Saturday were pinched from Castlemaine so I’m not sure they are operating all that purely.

You are correct about the points allocation and that proves the point the system is broken. The best teams should be struggling to fit everyone in, just like a strong AFL club does with the salary cap and yet they are all doing it easily.

And you are again correct about the player in questions history and again that proves the point. Someone with that history should be carrying maximum points all the time, not being treated as a loyal one club player after a few years of service.

You’ve added one and one and got six here. No one ever has said anything remotely like that’s the only reason Castlemaine or any other club has struggled, but it is the part the administration of the game can control.

And for me being a club people want to play at is probably the biggest myth in football and that is further enhanced by your final comments.
Castlemaine isn’t any different this year than last year or nearly any other year. The only difference is they stumped up and got some good players in and won some games. The people around the place are the same, same functions, same atmosphere, same everything.
When people talk about culture etc in clubs generally it is code for do they win or lose more often in my opinion.

Pinched? Explain?

I agree with part of the culture sentiment. From afar msryborough look like they have a good culture, but no players. They are stuck, they have to pay anyone 3 times what they are on to get them to play for them and then they don't improve and that player leaves. Their coaching appointments have been good too. I think the travel is a problem, when the alternative is go to mcdfl and travel not far, train less, have a better life balance and have a few more wins. Unless the afl start zoning towns to clubs these outlier clubs will go under. Melton south may be in a similar boat. If Collingwood were given the maryborough region as a zone, they'd have a lockyer there coaching and developing the kids and pumping up footy in schools to get kids to play. There's zero incentives at maryborough for example to play footy really

Very often players who move from one club to another have a massive buy in with their new club and feel that the new club is their club…

Over time year by year that buy in becomes stronger and stronger and you feel like the new club is your club…

There is are many reasons people move on… very often it’s because their original club isn’t that well ran…

What a ridiculous concept that a player should be tied to their original club forever and a day.

Wasnt he a Harcourt junior. What do you propose to replace the current points system. The system as wrong or right as you perceive at least provides a framework for everyone to work within. If you cant keep your juniors bad luck. Wouldnt have gone where hes gone in his footy career unless he thought it was good for him, which includes not playing at Castlemaine. Again the constant Castlemaine winge with no solution. Have a look within perhaps.
Or like the pathetic "parents politics " that would not allow certain older talented juniors to play 3rds during my time at Castlemaine...because they didn't like certain people and/or coaches there at the time....pi55 poor. And then where do they go ?...the parents are more than happy to have them go north or south...anywhere but to the team of the town they live in . I've been involved in a few very good football clubs over a long period of time , I consider Castlemaine one of the very good clubs I've been at. Maybe let's let the kids decide where they want to be 😉

Very often players who move from one club to another have a massive buy in with their new club and feel that the new club is their club…

Over time year by year that buy in becomes stronger and stronger and you feel like the new club is your club…

There is are many reasons people move on… very often it’s because their original club isn’t that well ran…

What a ridiculous concept that a player should be tied to their original club forever and a day.

No one is tied to anywhere, there just should be a logical level of protection for weaker clubs.

After all when was the last time a gun player in the Bendigo comp left a strong side to go to a weak one?

If we want a competition where any side is capable of contending then there has to be some measure of equalisation in place. That’s been seen time and time again in just about every professional sport imaginable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one is tied to anywhere, there just should be a logical level of protection for weaker clubs.

After all when was the last time a gun player in the Bendigo comp left a strong side to go to a weak one?

If we want a competition where any side is capable of contending then there has to be some measure of equalisation in place. That’s been seen time and time again in just about every professional sport imaginable.
You dont rate Zavier Murley as a good player then? As far as the Blake saga goes if you dont know why hes not playing at Castlemaine perhaps you need to ask some questions of those that had a bit to say when he left.

You dont rate Zavier Murley as a good player then? As far as the Blake saga goes if you dont know why hes not playing at Castlemaine perhaps you need to ask some questions of those that had a bit to say when he left.
I think people are missing Forest’s point here. He can correct me if I’m wrong, but I reckon what he’s trying to say is whilst players can play wherever they like, there should be stronger and longer mechanisms in place to make it harder for higher ranked clubs to recruit players from lower ranked clubs.

A kid returning to his home club isn’t really a good example I don’t think.

The individual nuances of a player leaving don’t really matter here, it’s the broader policy I’m interested in.

A kid returning to his home club isn’t really a good example I don’t think.

The individual nuances of a player leaving don’t really matter here, it’s the broader policy I’m interested in.
If hes returning to his home club why is he a 3 pointer.From what I can gather hes a Campbells creek junior who then went to Square to continue playing junior footy. What years did he play at Castlemaine. Blake never returning to you so it doesnt really matter how many points he is.

I don't think forrests problems lie with any player changing clubs, it's the state wide trend of top clubs actively recruiting bottom clubs best players in the league. It creates a two tiered system, where the weaker clubs can't get stronger and allows the stronger clubs to stay up there. Blind Freddy can see the affects that's having on footy comps across the state. In days gone by sometimes a player would leave a strong club and take the challenge of coaching a bottom club that's gone now.

And look kids look at American sport and the super teams the nba make up and think if you can't beat em join em

I don't think forrests problems lie with any player changing clubs, it's the state wide trend of top clubs actively recruiting bottom clubs best players in the league. It creates a two tiered system, where the weaker clubs can't get stronger and allows the stronger clubs to stay up there. Blind Freddy can see the affects that's having on footy comps across the state. In days gone by sometimes a player would leave a strong club and take the challenge of coaching a bottom club that's gone now.

And look kids look at American sport and the super teams the nba make up and think if you can't beat em join em

Exactly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back