Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

We have vastly different views in this forum but in a recent discussion the idea of playing night (or even twilight) games early in the season was widely supported. I notice the Goulburn Valley and Ovens & Murray both have a number of night games early in the season. The Ovens & Murray also has matches on Anzac day. I understand BFNL clubs (players) are not keen on these type of games and have moved away from them, but as they did draw good crowds in the past and are a success in the above major leagues.

I don't think the BFNL even offers one Sunday match for the entire home and away season. In all the circumstances the league faces at the moment it really is time to give supporters more choice and the opportunity of attending matches with a bit of 'atmosphere'.

Couldn’t agree more. There should be a night game and a Sunday game most rounds in my opinion.

Players hate them but if they want to be as well paid as they are then tough.

I don’t cop the arguments about the cold, plenty of people go to AFL games in winter, rug up and get fire pits going. Country games are more twilight type starts and finish much earlier anyway.

I’d love to see a club like Castlemaine play a Friday night senior match, start at 6:30 and try and get the town down and into the rooms after for the AFL.

Then come back the next day and play the other games with the women’s game in the 2pm spot.

Clubs need to get outside the square and provide something different to raise funds these days and the easiest money you make is coming through the gate.

Anyone know if theres truth the umpires are getting significant pay rises?

Don’t they set their own fees each year and take them to the league to negotiate/accept?

Couldn’t agree more. There should be a night game and a Sunday game most rounds in my opinion.

Players hate them but if they want to be as well paid as they are then tough.

I don’t cop the arguments about the cold, plenty of people go to AFL games in winter, rug up and get fire pits going. Country games are more twilight type starts and finish much earlier anyway.

I’d love to see a club like Castlemaine play a Friday night senior match, start at 6:30 and try and get the town down and into the rooms after for the AFL.

Then come back the next day and play the other games with the women’s game in the 2pm spot.

Clubs need to get outside the square and provide something different to raise funds these days and the easiest money you make is coming through the gate.

Don’t they set their own fees each year and take them to the league to negotiate/accept?
The more ideas and discussion the better but it's tough to get a club to travel to Castlemaine on a Friday night with trainers and players having to get there at 5:30 straight from work and then get them to back up and do it all again the next day and then potentially junior footy Sunday.

The more ideas and discussion the better but it's tough to get a club to travel to Castlemaine on a Friday night with trainers and players having to get there at 5:30 straight from work and then get them to back up and do it all again the next day and then potentially junior footy Sunday.

I hear you but it’s actually already happening at a few clubs with women’s footy regularly on Fridays.

Those games draw very good crowds and with all due respect to the ladies I’m sure the men would draw huge ones.

Reckon it would be a great one for clubs with women’s teams, say Castlemaine and Golden Square, who could split the games and have the Friday senior game at one venue and the Saturday games at the other to split the workload. I’m sure everyone could negotiate a poets day a couple of times a year.

Nothing worse than country footy at night when it's freezing cold. Play night footy the opening 2-3 rounds and that's it. Maybe 1 Sunday game a month as a stand alone game, that way you get heathcote, north central and lv followers in too

C’mon Trent, harden up mate!

I reckon you would have been in the same era as me when we used to play on slop heaps that smelled like sewerage and then came in for a cold shower in a tin shed! Nothing wrong with a little cold!

The big 31 minute drive from Bendigo to Castlemaine you mean? Can’t be asking any Bendigo based team to deal with that, far too much of a burden on them. They’d only have 3 or 4 months to work something out and finish up work early on one Friday night. Not enough notice.

The big 31 minute drive from Bendigo to Castlemaine you mean? Can’t be asking any Bendigo based team to deal with that, far too much of a burden on them. They’d only have 3 or 4 months to work something out and finish up work early on one Friday night. Not enough notice.
No issue with a Friday night game but when you then add in returning the next day and potentially Sunday as well for some involved in the club it's a fair ask you'd agree? Volunteers are spread thin at all clubs.

Nothing to do with Bendigo clubs. I'd be thinking the same if Castlemaine or Maryborough had to do the same.

No issue with a Friday night game but when you then add in returning the next day and potentially Sunday as well for some involved in the club it's a fair ask you'd agree? Volunteers are spread thin at all clubs.

Nothing to do with Bendigo clubs. I'd be thinking the same if Castlemaine or Maryborough had to do the same.
Yeah I can’t see the appeal of Friday night footy. I use to enjoy the Saturday night games and got overly excited at a few sunday games.
But I wouldn’t have been to a BFL H&A game for years now. To hard if you are involved in another league.

Yeah I can’t see the appeal of Friday night footy. I use to enjoy the Saturday night games and got overly excited at a few sunday games.
But I wouldn’t have been to a BFL H&A game for years now. To hard if you are involved in another league.
Does the Bendigo league have a thirds comp? Like club 18s with the RDFNL? They have that on a Friday night

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

As a once off trial, it’s worth a shot isn’t it? The league needs some type of forward progression, though it’s not generally something they like to do.

Does the Bendigo league have a thirds comp? Like club 18s with the RDFNL? They have that on a Friday night

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Nope, and given the numbers of players a few teams have lost, they might struggle to fill 2’s teams let alone a 3rd senior team. Progression vs regression when comparing those 2 football regions at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn’t have thought they beat Kerang but Wyche would be a winnable one if they get a full list out there.

I’m not a big practice match believer though so will keep the lid on. Can’t make Saturday so will have to rely on Crazy to sum things up.

I’ll be there lads - just watching my Maggie’s right now - just a Maggie lover in every comp

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back