Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Great discussion, hope Carol has her pen and paper out.

Here’s my two cents:

Ditch the salary cap, waste of time and resources.

Adjust points every season on a ladder position basis, -3 for top/premiers, -2 second, -1 third. If second or third win flag they lose one more and top team one less. Bottom team gain 3, second last 2, third last 1. All others stay same.
Only players who have never played for another club are automatically one point. As soon as you play elsewhere only eligible for a one point discount on your total at junior club. One point discount after 75 games with a club, two point discount after 125 games. No further discounts.
Player changing clubs in same league to a club with lower points allocation pick up 1 extra point and are never eligible for discounts at that club.

It’s a huge game for the Pies and the competition.

If we knock off South and then Square after the bye we move level with Square on points in 5th.

They will have an easier run home but at least there will be some interest alive.

Haven’t seen anything in the addy about forward planning from the meeting ? Only 2 articles on sandhurst

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to see the 3ccc boys are doing Castlemaine v South tomorrow instead of the Grand Final preview.

Is that reflective of a lack of interest in the premiership?
Maybe it's the atmosphere at camp, they wanna watch someone other than sandhurst too, good for the league, best round of the year for match ups

Alternate view. If the presidents, delegates went into “the meeting” last night hot under collar wanting answers on short, medium, long term direction and then didn’t bang the table demanding the league communicate them to wider football public, aren’t they just as complicit in the “nothing to see here” mentality permeating through the comp? Everyone forgets it’s old mate who pays his $12 at gate each week, who is a very important stakeholder in game.

Last edited:
You need the community interested in the bfl, it's a big thing, I reckon most footy followers, around bendigo, are checking the north central and heathcote leagues before bfl scores. Or driving to watch those games, then watch a bfl game, where they'll know the result before the game starts

Yep, exactly and that’s my point with the radio.

Unbelievable they are not broadcasting the biggest game of the season, no way it would have happened in any other year I can recall. Sure sign of a lack of interest in the competition.

Unbelievable they are not broadcasting the biggest game of the season, no way it would have happened in any other year I can recall. Sure sign of a lack of interest in the competition.

And the crowd that turns up for the season blockbuster will prove the lack of interest.

You need the community interested in the bfl, it's a big thing, I reckon most footy followers, around bendigo, are checking the north central and heathcote leagues before bfl scores. Or driving to watch those games, then watch a bfl game, where they'll know the result before the game starts
Realistically though BFL crowds havent been great for years. Early 2000s there would be lucky to be 100 people at the qeo who wernt playing, rocked up to Wade st 1 day at 2pm and there was about 6 cars parked outside the ground and not too many more inside. However on a positive note I watched my first games of BJFL footy last Saturday at Canterbury Park. Great day kids starting out on their footy journeys and some very skilful young players. Was a heap of kids and parents made for a good experience.

Realistically though BFL crowds havent been great for years. Early 2000s there would be lucky to be 100 people at the qeo who wernt playing, rocked up to Wade st 1 day at 2pm and there was about 6 cars parked outside the ground and not too many more inside. However on a positive note I watched my first games of BJFL footy last Saturday at Canterbury Park. Great day kids starting out on their footy journeys and some very skilful young players. Was a heap of kids and parents made for a good experience.

I’d say “bendigo” crowds haven’t been good for a long time . I’m pretty sure Kyneton / Gisborne has had some big ones of recent times

I could be wrong Forest, but I’m pretty sure there have been internet and reception issues in the past for the Fresh when trying to broadcast from Gisborne. That could be the reason for doing the Castlemaine game instead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back