Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

They play Sunday and I don’t think VFL teams announce until 24 hours out.

He’s dropped off the Castlemaine list and been replaced by an under 18 kid so I’d say he’s required by the Bombers.

Great to see but a huge blow for the Pies.

Leigh Montagna has also pushed his game back to the Kangaroo Flat game so we won’t see the big day against Eaglehawk next week which is a shame.

Anyone else think having a 14 year old umpire senior football is dumb?
Ridiculous decision considering he has umpired a single game of reserves football. Will be thrown to the wolves due to his lack of experience and game sense. Experienced senior players will 'have him for dinner'. Should be given more time to develop prior to being appointed to senior football.

Don't put the young fellow under pressure either but the article in the advertiser where the adviser (Goodridge) refers to him as having as much potential as John Howarth who is umpiring AFL football (and is mediocre at best).

I also can't believe the comments about the association being in a good place. The standard of umpiring is as bad as I have seen it and whilst we at Maryborough FNC probably don't get the best umpires, they have not been great this year with many of them trying to oversee the game from the centre of the ground due to not being fit enough to run.

No disrespect but the current umpires coach has been there too long and any feedback we provide seems to be dismissed and not taken seriously despite being provided in a constructive and respectful manner. Whilst I know we need umpires to have a game, change is needed to try and lift the standard. It is long overdue.

Last edited:
Ridiculous decision considering he has umpired a single game of reserves football. Will be thrown to the wolves due to his lack of experience and game sense. Experienced senior players will 'have him for dinner'. Should be given more time to develop prior to being appointed to senior football.

Don't put the young fellow under pressure either but the article in the advertiser where the adviser (Goodridge) refers to him as having as much potential as John Howarth who is umpiring AFL football (and is mediocre at best).

I also can't believe the comments about the association being in a good place. The standard of umpiring is as bad as I have seen it and whilst we at Maryborough FNC probably don't get the best umpires, they have not been great this year with many of them trying to oversee the game from the centre of the ground due to not being fit enough to run.

No disrespect but the current umpires coach has been there too long and any feedback we provide seems to be dismissed and not taken seriously despite being provided in a constructive and respectful manner. Whilst I know we need umpires to have a game, change is needed to try and lift the standard. It is long overdue.
How about we wish the kid all the best and pat him on the back for having a crack and working hard. He is a good umpire and a good kid. Plenty of people have so much to say but I’m not sure everyone could go out there and umpire. It’s good to see young people interested in umpiring considering how poorly umpires are treated by a lot of people.

How about we wish the kid all the best and pat him on the back for having a crack and working hard. He is a good umpire and a good kid. Plenty of people have so much to say but I’m not sure everyone could go out there and umpire. It’s good to see young people interested in umpiring considering how poorly umpires are treated by a lot of people.

I don’t think anyone doesn’t wish the kid all the best, it’s not about the individual it’s the principle.

Every week we see kids thrown to the wolves, especially in the seconds and below. Kids barely big enough to hold the footy, let alone throw it in running the boundary.

It’s not secret as to why it happens and it has been discussed at board and hub level but to the surprise of no one they put it in the too hard basket.

Maybe between the new general manager and the new competition manager they can sort it out. They should have time, after all no one did their jobs for six months and we didn’t miss a beat.

I don’t think anyone doesn’t wish the kid all the best, it’s not about the individual it’s the principle.

Every week we see kids thrown to the wolves, especially in the seconds and below. Kids barely big enough to hold the footy, let alone throw it in running the boundary.

It’s not secret as to why it happens and it has been discussed at board and hub level but to the surprise of no one they put it in the too hard basket.

Maybe between the new general manager and the new competition manager they can sort it out. They should have time, after all no one did their jobs for six months and we didn’t miss a beat.
Maybe pay a senior umpire 600 a game for starters and you'd have more people

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Credit to the 4 Gisborne players who’ve gone to Maryborough to play for the Magpies, long way to go to play as a top up, hope they’re getting a matchy for their troubles.
Yep, hat off to them. I'd say they'd be getting looked after. Despite being 90 points down Maryborough seem to be going reasonably OK and have kicked 5 goals at 3Q time. Take the positives when they come.

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Maybe pay a senior umpire 600 a game for starters and you'd have more people

If you have a look at any regional umpiring group in the state, not only do you have an incredible shortage of umpires with a lot of blokes doing back to back senior games, but you have a massive demographic gap with kids between 15-23 and blokes over 40 predominating. If you're a bloke in their 20s or 30s interested in local footy and you had the choice of playing footy or sinking cans watching your mates play or umpiring reserves for less than 100 bucks and copping sprays for being an absolute spud who doesn't understand the game and it makes no difference if you have a good game or an average one, what would you choose?

If you have a look at any regional umpiring group in the state, not only do you have an incredible shortage of umpires with a lot of blokes doing back to back senior games, but you have a massive demographic gap with kids between 15-23 and blokes over 40 predominating. If you're a bloke in their 20s or 30s interested in local footy and you had the choice of playing footy or sinking cans watching your mates play or umpiring reserves for less than 100 bucks and copping sprays for being an absolute spud who doesn't understand the game and it makes no difference if you have a good game or an average one, what would you choose?

At least there are some kids coming through though.

You can’t magically close the gap

Well said mate. The reason we have no umpires is because fat, pissed campaigners who never played a game in their lives have played $12 to come in and feel they have the right to abuse them.

In what other workplace could that happen? My theory is these campaigners should have a go themselves or shut the **** up!

Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back