Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Well said mate. The reason we have no umpires is because fat, pissed campaigners who never played a game in their lives have played $12 to come in and feel they have the right to abuse them.

In what other workplace could that happen? My theory is these campaigners should have a go themselves or shut the **** up!

Bendigo league games are very mild when it comes to umpire advice from over the fence I think, junior games are the issue.

Bendigo league games are very mild when it comes to umpire advice from over the fence I think, junior games are the issue.
Yes, that's certainly been my experience but I was speaking more broadly about umpiring.

Having said that, if you want kids moving up the ranks, you'd preferably want them coming through juniors and if they're not sticking around because some parent is giving them a spray most weeks, then they won't become senior umpires and the gap grows again especially with girls and women's football growing (and women and girls are not turning their hand to umpiring for the most part).

I would agree with this but I feel like I’m stating the obvious I think the LVFNL and HDFNL are particularly bad for umpire “feedback” a few umpires I have spoken to have said that and from the handful of games I’ve watched in LVFNL this year I’d say it’s bad out there. They are trying to address the junior league umpire abuse with the white card system and I know a handful of clubs that come down hard on anyone they catch abusing umpires I’ve seen people kicked out of a junior club for it. If they pay umpires better I’d do it once my sad excuse for a playing career is over!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s umpiring Newbridge v Inglewood so not sure why the outrage in here.

One of my son’s mates has umpired senior footy in the BFNL this year and he’s 15. Done a brilliant jobb

I am not against the younger ones umpiring senior football if they are ready/ have the ability to do so. We need umpires more than ever as the majority are older and not physically capable any more which is a shame as some of them have been quite good for many years.

My concern with the young fellow in this instance was putting him into senior football based on him only doing a single reserves game. Surely he needs more experience/ exposure before he commences umpiring senior football. In order to retain younger umpires you need to create a supportive environment where the umpire is happy and feels welcome, along with a pathway to progress. If you do put pressure on younger umpires in a difficult environment where they feel pressure/ uncomfortable they walk away immediately.

Young umpires, like players need time to develop and gain experience and I can say if you place them in a game that is hard to manage, they will be gone in a flash. Without experience on how to deal with this it places a degree of uncertainty on whether the umpire will continue or just walk away from the game due to being abused and being exposed to an uncomfortable match day environment.

Finally, over 60% of first year umpires don’t return the second year due to abuse or a poor match day environment/ experience. That’s why you need to be patient with young umpires to ensure they hang around.

Word coming through to me that team was pretty normal, just produced a very ordinary effort.

Message I received said we were soft, outworked and overawed, huge step backwards.

Big disappointment.

No disrespect Forest but I told you so. There is a big gap between the top and bottom teams. Castlemaine have improved which is great but they are still well off the mark at this stage.

No disrespect Forest but I told you so. There is a big gap between the top and bottom teams. Castlemaine have improved which is great but they are still well off the mark at this stage.

Don’t agree lfg and I think our results have shown that.

Kicking for the lead in the third quarter against Sandhurst at the QEO, within a couple of goals of Gisborne late in the game. Not sure any other teams have done that.

Talking to a few today it seems we just played a really poor first quarter and the game was done. Been a long time since we had a game that mattered and we certainly wouldn’t be the first team to falter in that circumstance. Hopefully they learn and grow for the next time. I would say to that to the club’s credit multiple guys who are senior team locks played twos on Saturday after long injury layoffs which is a refreshing standard to see.

Don’t underestimate what a huge loss Ryan Eyre is as well. He’s not well known in Bendigo after a handful of games but he is a serious footballer. I wouldn’t argue with someone who said he was our best player. What we need to do for next year is add some depth so the loss of those guys doesn’t kill us.

Any word from Carol and Cam on how they plan to fix the comp ? Any new sides coming in ? Do the clubs even get to vote on new arrivals ?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back