Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Donā€™t agree lfg and I think our results have shown that.

Kicking for the lead in the third quarter against Sandhurst at the QEO, within a couple of goals of Gisborne late in the game. Not sure any other teams have done that.

Talking to a few today it seems we just played a really poor first quarter and the game was done. Been a long time since we had a game that mattered and we certainly wouldnā€™t be the first team to falter in that circumstance. Hopefully they learn and grow for the next time. I would say to that to the clubā€™s credit multiple guys who are senior team locks played twos on Saturday after long injury layoffs which is a refreshing standard to see.

Donā€™t underestimate what a huge loss Ryan Eyre is as well. Heā€™s not well known in Bendigo after a handful of games but he is a serious footballer. I wouldnā€™t argue with someone who said he was our best player. What we need to do for next year is add some depth so the loss of those guys doesnā€™t kill us.
Did Hartley recruit eyre from Seymour? Still eligible to play under 18s, is that right? Will he be rookie listed at the end of the year?

Did Hartley recruit eyre from Seymour? Still eligible to play under 18s, is that right? Will he be rookie listed at the end of the year?

Came through connection with Harmit Singh I think.

Iā€™m sure heā€™d be every chance of getting an AFL list spot either with Essendon or through Harmit at Collingwood.

I see the BFNL has stepped in to help Maryborough borrow players for the remainder of the season - just to eliminate any forfeits !

Ha ha itā€™s only to help them from total embarrassment - nothing to do with helping Maryborough

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I see the BFNL has stepped in to help Maryborough borrow players for the remainder of the season - just to eliminate any forfeits !

Ha ha itā€™s only to help them from total embarrassment - nothing to do with helping Maryborough

I hear they had to be dragged kicking and squealing to admit they had made a rule change as well.

It really is hard to not just turn your back on the game. No foresight, no vision, completely underwhelming appointments to key positions which are so ineffective they can go six months not being filled, and the silence from the new council is already deafening.

It really is a total and complete shit show.

I hear they had to be dragged kicking and squealing to admit they had made a rule change as well.

It really is hard to not just turn your back on the game. No foresight, no vision, completely underwhelming appointments to key positions which are so ineffective they can go six months not being filled, and the silence from the new council is already deafening.

It really is a total and complete shit show.
Don't think that's true.

They told the Presidents they were waiting on AFL Vic sign off to keep doing it past June 30 pretty early.

If they didn't do it Crazy would be complaining they did nothing. They do something, he still complains.

What's happening at the Presidents meeting this week?

Don't think that's true.

They told the Presidents they were waiting on AFL Vic sign off to keep doing it past June 30 pretty early.

If they didn't do it Crazy would be complaining they did nothing. They do something, he still complains.

What's happening at the Presidents meeting this week?

Itā€™s not a meeting itā€™s an information session as meetings are normally collaborative. Everyone will be told whatā€™s happening / no vote etc will take place. Maiden Gully come in and thatā€™s that.

Itā€™s not a meeting itā€™s an information session as meetings are normally collaborative. Everyone will be told whatā€™s happening / no vote etc will take place. Maiden Gully come in and thatā€™s that.

Wanna bet? Maiden Gully aren't on tonight's agenda. For blokes who know everything, you've sure missed on that one.

Last edited:
Sorry Carol

Sorry Crazy but he is correct. I am sure the situation with club movements and happenings will be discussed at the meeting but Maiden Gully was not a specific agenda item as such. I have no doubts the club will be mentioned though.

What are others thoughts about White Hills FNC as a potential member of the BFNL. Going well on and off field and placed in the growing northern area of the city. I have always had the opinion the BFNL needs a club located in the area and potentially based at Epsom Huntly Reserve. I am sure they would not be interested in leaving the very stable and competitive HDFNL but they would be in better health than Maiden Gully FNC.

Sorry Crazy but he is correct. I am sure the situation with club movements and happenings will be discussed at the meeting but Maiden Gully was not a specific agenda item as such. I have no doubts the club will be mentioned though.

What are others thoughts about White Hills FNC as a potential member of the BFNL. Going well on and off field and placed in the growing northern area of the city. I have always had the opinion the BFNL needs a club located in the area and potentially based at Epsom Huntly Reserve. I am sure they would not be interested in leaving the very stable and competitive HDFNL but they would be in better health than Maiden Gully FNC.
Definite need for a club on that side of bendigo, with all the houses in Epsom Huntly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definite need for a club on that side of bendigo, with all the houses in Epsom Huntly
Agree Trent. I understand South were presented with the opportunity to move out to Epsom Huntly many years ago but declined. Considering their current state and ongoing battles over many years, perhaps it was a missed opportunity for the club.

Unfortunately there has been no foresight to capitalise on the growth in population in the area and the opportunity to get a club established and growing has well and truly passed. No wonder the future of the BFNL is at the crossroads as self interest once again ruled the day.

Last edited:
Agree Trent. I understand South were presented with the opportunity to move out to Epsom Huntly many years ago but declined. Considering thereā€™re current state and ongoing battles over many years, perhaps it was a missed opportunity for the club.

Unfortunately there has been no foresight to capitalise on the growth in population in the area and the opportunity to get a club established and growing has well and truly passed. No wonder the future of the BFNL is at the crossroads as self interest once again ruled the day.

There is a club in Huntly. Itā€™s called Huntly

My understanding is White Hills are very happy where they are. I believe both North and White Hills have publicly said they are not looking at moving to BFNL. North from a junior point of view is not fantastic and white hills juniors is bigger than north but also not a great standard both clubs would need a ton of work from a junior point of view. I am very big on a strong junior program helps the senior program. MGYCW Junior club is big and growing quickly and if they have/put the right people in charge they could be on the right track, senior side of things clearly an issue.

I am very keen to see what plays out and how BFNL gets back to 10 teams.

I donā€™t see white hills or North or anyone really outside of MGYCW coming over anytime soon at least off their own free will. I donā€™t think it could ever happen but could there be a scenario where AFLVIC or who ever say enough is enough this is how it has to be and force clubs hands?

I am aware that the current leadership for footy in this region appear to be very good at doing nothing so maybe use some imagination for the last part of my question there! I also should point out I do not think forcing anyone to do anything is the right move interested on what people think or solutions they may have.

There is a club in Huntly. Itā€™s called Huntly
I know itā€™s got a .05% chance of happening but could ā€œexpandingā€ Huntly to build a Huntly-Epsom kind of thing like the cricket ever be a viable option? Share the load with facilities between Huntly and Epsom and actually use the ground out there. Yes itā€™s not the greatest oval ever built but itā€™s not a massive dealbreaker is it and is fixable. Itā€™s not much worse than some of the other grounds around.

Why on earth would any club want to join Bendigo at this point in time? Especially from Heathcote, which is the most stable league by a mile in the region in terms of operations, to join a rabble? Theyā€™d need to be inundated with incentives - and even then theyā€™d struggle with recruitment and even more so, retention. Itā€™s pretty clear the trend, good players are leaving Bendigo these days, not vice versa.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back