Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Money talks and pays the bills.
Gone are the days of choosing a 'bigger' league for less money over getting more money playing at 'district' level.

Absolutely and who can blame blokes. Everything is so bloody expensive so if you can get some extra by playing for someone then it makes a huge difference

There is a club in Huntly. It’s called Huntly
Yes I know Roota. 😃

Unfortunately Huntly would never have been a viable club in the BFNL so hence my suggestion about White Hills.

I know no club would want to consider moving from the very stable, well run and competitive HDFNL but I have always believed the BFNL missed a big opportunity of having a major league club in a growth corridor. Having some foresight like Ballarat FNC did by moving to Alfredton many years ago would potentially have seen a club flourish due to the large number of young families in the area and the opportunity to tap into new markets both from a community and sponsorship perspective along with having access to Epsom Huntly Reserve.

Ballarat FNC have gone from strength to strength since their move into a growth area as they were a perennial struggler when based at City Oval in Ballarat.

Just a missed opportunity from my perspective.

Yes I know Roota. 😃

Unfortunately Huntly would never have been a viable club in the BFNL so hence my suggestion about White Hills.

I know no club would want to consider moving from the very stable, well run and competitive HDFNL but I have always believed the BFNL missed a big opportunity of having a major league club in a growth corridor. Having some foresight like Ballarat FNC did by moving to Alfredton many years ago would potentially have seen a club flourish due to the large number of young families in the area and the opportunity to tap into new markets both from a community and sponsorship perspective along with having access to Epsom Huntly Reserve.

Ballarat FNC have gone from strength to strength since their move into a growth area as they were a perennial struggler when based at City Oval in Ballarat.

Just a missed opportunity from my perspective.
Clubs need to go to where the people are!

Clubs need to go to where the people are!
Castlemaine, Kangaroo Flat, South Bendigo are three of five clubs who have not won a premiership since the 1990's which is now going back a long time when measuring football success. It probably means no current player in these teams has witnessed their club win a premiership in their lifetime. The other two teams are Kyneton & Maryborough who are gone and 'about to be gone'. This year, once again these same teams have no hope of featuring in this years finals. I believe the immediate focus should be on how to shore up these clubs and get them teams competitive enough to get into the finals in coming seasons. This is much more important for the health of the BFNL then recruiting a new club when the only ones strong enough to enjoy success (Sunbury, Rochester and Echuca) are clearly not interested.

While this is a challenge without any easy answer perhaps a start would be lower fees for teams that don't make the finals as I believe this is one reason why Kyneton left. Player points and salary cap concessions are also possible and would also make sense. I am not going to personally troll present administrators like some do on here, but I do think we need to hear more from them on how they intend to address the gap between the present top five clubs and the clubs long starved of any success below them.

Why on earth would any club want to join Bendigo at this point in time? Especially from Heathcote, which is the most stable league by a mile in the region in terms of operations, to join a rabble? They’d need to be inundated with incentives - and even then they’d struggle with recruitment and even more so, retention. It’s pretty clear the trend, good players are leaving Bendigo these days, not vice versa.
What incentives do leagues offer clubs to join them?

I am not going to personally troll present administrators like some do on here,

I don’t think it is ‘trolling’ to tell the truth about their performance.

Objectively they have been a complete and utter failure on almost every measure and I don’t think there’s anyone who would make a case otherwise is there?

On the future I think new club talk is a pipe dream. What needs to happen is rebuilding what we have now and implementing a region wide plan for the next 5, 10 and 25 years.

Fact is the issues with clubs are wide ranging and every club in the region is in some form of challenge, whether they know it or not. There are clubs in every league who are hanging by a thread and by definition that means the league is unhealthy.

The problem is clubs and leagues are notoriously difficult to bring to the table to face the need for change so as I’ve said 10,000 times we need strong leadership to drive it.

Objectively they have been a complete and utter failure on almost every measure and I don’t think there’s anyone who would make a case otherwise is there?

On the future I think new club talk is a pipe dream. What needs to happen is rebuilding what we have now and implementing a region wide plan for the next 5, 10 and 25 years.

Fact is the issues with clubs are wide ranging and every club in the region is in some form of challenge, whether they know it or not. There are clubs in every league who are hanging by a thread and by definition that means the league is unhealthy.

The problem is clubs and leagues are notoriously difficult to bring to the table to face the need for change so as I’ve said 10,000 times we need strong leadership to drive it.
Speaking of leadership FSE.

Anyone seen anything from the "not the silent commission" council?

Discounted affiliation fees is one that’s used quite a bit. Depending on the club, it could be in the form of salary cap relief, points relief. Though given the state of Bendigo, I don’t think there would be anything they could do to attract a club that’s got any form of good management. I’d love to be a fly on the wall in a pitch made from the league to a club - they’d struggle to find many pro’s at the moment to put into their presentation. Getting to play 1 game a year on the QEO would be their biggest seller, and that’s not gunna get a right minded club over the line.

Penola was allegedly offered a grand final to move from Kowree-Naracoorte-Tatiara to the Limestone Coast league.
There was also talk of additional points for being outside of Mt Gambier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Discounted affiliation fees is one that’s used quite a bit. Depending on the club, it could be in the form of salary cap relief, points relief. Though given the state of Bendigo, I don’t think there would be anything they could do to attract a club that’s got any form of good management. I’d love to be a fly on the wall in a pitch made from the league to a club - they’d struggle to find many pro’s at the moment to put into their presentation. Getting to play 1 game a year on the QEO would be their biggest seller, and that’s not gunna get a right minded club over the line.

They have no incentives to offer.

Discounted fees just bring them back to what other leagues are paying, the salary cap is a paper tiger anyway, the points system as it is makes no difference and having more points is zero advantage and the league (and Sandhurst) take all the revenue from the grand final so no benefit in hosting even if it was moved.

They have no incentives to offer.

Discounted fees just bring them back to what other leagues are paying, the salary cap is a paper tiger anyway, the points system as it is makes no difference and having more points is zero advantage and the league (and Sandhurst) take all the revenue from the grand final so no benefit in hosting even if it was moved.
Sandhurst don't run the canteen or bar at the Grand Final so where do they get revenue from?

Speaking of leadership FSE.

Anyone seen anything from the "not the silent commission" council?

This is incredibly disappointing. I’m sure there’s been communication with clubs but to not have made even a simple public statement is just treating those interested in the game with contempt.

The more things change the more they stay the same it seems.

Have they stopped the rort of ‘tendering’ it out to them?
I thought I got served by a bloke from South last year. Maybe I'm wrong.

I just remember thinking it odd that they were running it not being a tenant.

I thought I got served by a bloke from South last year. Maybe I'm wrong.

I just remember thinking it odd that they were running it not being a tenant.

South might have had a piece of it as well, at one point it had reached the farcical stage where Sandhurst were subbieing it out which is another possibility.

In the old days of course, every club was rostered on and all revenue returned equally via a dividend, but the advent of the hub meant AFL CV couldn’t resist the opportunity to get hold of the funds to pay themselves wages.

It was pointed out at the time that moving to a tender system would kill off the country clubs. After all it is a huge advantage to be tendering to run canteen and bar on your own turf rather than having to get volunteers travel 40 minutes or more each way to do it. So the Bendigo clubs make more money and the country clubs less.

Of course it is all just whinging and Castlemaine should just get some locals to play and grow juniors.

It’s the worst type of trolling.
Continually making negative comments about someone while hiding behind a fake username

It’s the worst type of trolling.
Continually making negative comments about someone while hiding behind a fake username

It’s not trolling at all, your definition is not correct.

Trolling is baiting for a reaction, so by definition you can’t troll someone who isn’t participating in the discussion.

It’s also not trolling if you are simply having a factual discussion. If it were trolling it should be simple to rebut the comments by pointing out the alternative position. I am yet to see anyone do that.

It’s not trolling at all, your definition is not correct.

Trolling is baiting for a reaction, so by definition you can’t troll someone who isn’t participating in the discussion.

It’s also not trolling if you are simply having a factual discussion. If it were trolling it should be simple to rebut the comments by pointing out the alternative position. I am yet to see anyone do that.
While we on definitions. What is the definition of bullying

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back