Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, the self-victimisation is next level.

How so?

While we on definitions. What is the definition of bullying

It most certainly isn’t bullying to critique the employment performance of someone.

The criticism of the hub staff is around their inactivity, lack of leadership, poor decision making and communication skills, and generally their lack of intellectual suitability for the job.

If we were knocking them for being fat, ugly, red headed or other such personal traits then it would 100% be bullying.

Do you consider it bullying when AFL players come out and say they don’t understand the rules at the moment? Of course not, it’s a critique of the games administration and a fair enough one.

Hmm...nuff yeh ?. Been thinking about coming back over to Camp reserve for a visit with some old friends, perhaps you might like to out yourself and back up that big smart mouth of yours CM ? 🤔...But I doubt it
WB I think CM has got you here - it was you that was wrong thinking he must have meant Carro. I’d say most of us knew exactly who he was talking about when he said Carol.

How so?

It most certainly isn’t bullying to critique the employment performance of someone.

The criticism of the hub staff is around their inactivity, lack of leadership, poor decision making and communication skills, and generally their lack of intellectual suitability for the job.

If we were knocking them for being fat, ugly, red headed or other such personal traits then it would 100% be bullying.

Do you consider it bullying when AFL players come out and say they don’t understand the rules at the moment? Of course not, it’s a critique of the games administration and a fair enough one.
Forest can you stop making so much sense please, it’s confusing people.

Forest can you stop making so much sense please, it’s confusing people.

How so?

Its become a pain in the arse the woe is me Castlemaine doesnt get a fair go bullshit. Get over it

Any footy on this weekend.

South players have been told about the new coaching set up for next year
Do you the existing coaches stay? Miller would have plenty of offers to head back to rochy, locky colbo and North central clubs too would be keeping an eye out. Does stroobs play on?

If kerang guys leave will they play at Eaglehawk or south?

Does antowitz come back from white hills?

South might have had a piece of it as well, at one point it had reached the farcical stage where Sandhurst were subbieing it out which is another possibility.

In the old days of course, every club was rostered on and all revenue returned equally via a dividend, but the advent of the hub meant AFL CV couldn’t resist the opportunity to get hold of the funds to pay themselves wages.

It was pointed out at the time that moving to a tender system would kill off the country clubs. After all it is a huge advantage to be tendering to run canteen and bar on your own turf rather than having to get volunteers travel 40 minutes or more each way to do it. So the Bendigo clubs make more money and the country clubs less.

Of course it is all just whinging and Castlemaine should just get some locals to play and grow juniors.
Yep it was like that when I played bfl, well before hubs though. I'm not sure how fair if it is a tender system how that's fair for Castlemaine, gizzy and Maryborough? Surely anyone can see that.

In regards to attracting clubs, you'd imagine gv fees would be similar? Maybe the bfl hub could assist better with grants for upgrades to facilities, drop in fees, there'd be juniors more under the eye of pios coaches (which is crap) but what out of town club is going to come from a grand final system where clubs share canteen bars etc to a tender system, where 5 clubs have a massive advantage.

I'd hope the region has a massive external review, run by an gv board member who turned the gv league from debts to massive profits before the hub ****ed it there or other notable vcfl executive with clear findings and ways going forward.

I don’t think it is ‘trolling’ to tell the truth about their performance.

Objectively they have been a complete and utter failure on almost every measure and I don’t think there’s anyone who would make a case otherwise is there?

On the future I think new club talk is a pipe dream. What needs to happen is rebuilding what we have now and implementing a region wide plan for the next 5, 10 and 25 years.

Fact is the issues with clubs are wide ranging and every club in the region is in some form of challenge, whether they know it or not. There are clubs in every league who are hanging by a thread and by definition that means the league is unhealthy.

The problem is clubs and leagues are notoriously difficult to bring to the table to face the need for change so as I’ve said 10,000 times we need strong leadership to drive it.
What is trolling

Trolling is when someone posts or comments online to ‘bait’ people, which means deliberately provoking an argument or emotional reaction. In some cases they say things they don’t even believe, just to cause drama. In other cases, they may not agree with the views of another person or group online, so they try to discredit, humiliate or punish them. This may include online hate – personal attacks that target someone because of their race, culture, religion, gender, sexual orientation or disability. The troll may also encourage mob mentality, urging others to join in the attack so it becomes a pile on.

Trolls often post under a fake name or anonymously, so they can say things without being held responsible. This can make them feel more powerful and less cautious than they would be if they were talking to someone ‘IRL’ or in person. This makes it difficult to identify who actually left the post or comment.

Trolls also often try to downplay the impact of their behaviour, claiming anyone who’s upset by their posts or comments is overreacting. They may say it was just a joke, or the person who they targeted needs to toughen up. This can make the person who was trolled feel even worse.

Albury's comments

The above is a general definition of trolling. I am not targeting you with these comments Forest. You sincerely believe your views although I don't agree with big chunks of them, but I do agree changes need to be discussed publicly and made. In this regard I have tried to be constructive with my own suggestions. However there have been a number of trolling comments made on this forum and I am not going to be part of that scene.

Its become a pain in the arse the woe is me Castlemaine doesnt get a fair go bullshit. Get over it

If asking for competent administration is woe is me then I’m happy to wear that.

What is trolling

Trolling is when someone posts or comments online to ‘bait’ people, which means deliberately provoking an argument or emotional reaction. In some cases they say things they don’t even believe, just to cause drama. In other cases, they may not agree with the views of another person or group online, so they try to discredit, humiliate or punish them. This may include online hate – personal attacks that target someone because of their race, culture, religion, gender, sexual orientation or disability. The troll may also encourage mob mentality, urging others to join in the attack so it becomes a pile on.

Trolls often post under a fake name or anonymously, so they can say things without being held responsible. This can make them feel more powerful and less cautious than they would be if they were talking to someone ‘IRL’ or in person. This makes it difficult to identify who actually left the post or comment.

Trolls also often try to downplay the impact of their behaviour, claiming anyone who’s upset by their posts or comments is overreacting. They may say it was just a joke, or the person who they targeted needs to toughen up. This can make the person who was trolled feel even worse.

Albury's comments

The above is a general definition of trolling. I am not targeting you with these comments Forest. You sincerely believe your views although I don't agree with big chunks of them, but I do agree changes need to be discussed publicly and made. In this regard I have tried to be constructive with my own suggestions. However there have been a number of trolling comments made on this forum and I am not going to be part of that scene.

All good Albury, I have a lot of respect for your views and the way you maintain a respectful disagreement with me on many issues.

I’ve been guilty of instances of trolling absolutely, for example calling the new GM a trolley boy but I do try and be better and I think the majority of posts on here are pretty good in that regard.

We are all passionate and many of us are worn out and fed up with flogging ourselves with no support from the AFL. I know Crazy can be forthright on here but it’s for the same reasons and ironically I know you have a lot of respect for the ‘real’ Crazy, as I’m sure everyone here does.

It is a good reminder to check our approach to posting though, robust discussions certainly but not personal.

If asking for competent administration is woe is me then I’m happy to wear that.

All good Albury, I have a lot of respect for your views and the way you maintain a respectful disagreement with me on many issues.

I’ve been guilty of instances of trolling absolutely, for example calling the new GM a trolley boy but I do try and be better and I think the majority of posts on here are pretty good in that regard.

We are all passionate and many of us are worn out and fed up with flogging ourselves with no support from the AFL. I know Crazy can be forthright on here but it’s for the same reasons and ironically I know you have a lot of respect for the ‘real’ Crazy, as I’m sure everyone here does.

It is a good reminder to check our approach to posting though, robust discussions certainly but not personal.
And importantly Castlemaine v Eaglehawk being streamed. Good move!

On the subject of streaming it would be nice if the Camera operator could just make a few brief comments. E.g. the score from time to time and who kicked each goal. I remember in the 1980's sitting in my carport in Melbourne, then Albury trying to get the Bendigo scores on a radio that faded in and out. Drove my then wife insane. So being able to watch a streamed game from QLD is a massive advance but when there are no comments whatsoever it can be hard to know the state of the game if you have just tuned in. I am not asking for a running commentary, just the odd update comment. It is also good when live scores are kept up to date.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speaking of leadership FSE.

Anyone seen anything from the "not the silent commission" council?

From a Maryborough FNC perspective we have been happy with the Council and their efforts so far. They have met with clubs and certainly have given our club the time to discuss our challenges and problems with football in our area. In regards to the allegation about them being ‘silent’ I think some patience is needed as they get around and collate the information gathered. I would much rather them to put out a thorough summary of their learnings and plans going forward rather than something ‘half cocked’.

As we all know football in the area isn’t travelling well (not just the BFNL) and there is a lot of work to do. We also need to remember the Council members are not full time, have jobs and families.

Please let’s give them some time to do their job well and be thorough.

Please let’s give them some time to do their job well and be thorough.

I hear you lfg but my issue is they are ignoring anyone not involved in a club.

As someone who has recently wound right back and is more on the outside these days, I can empathise with people who feel incredibly frustrated with hearing nothing.

Surely a brief statement outlining their initial plans wouldn’t have been too much to ask?

As someone who has recently wound right back and is more on the outside these days, I can empathise with people who feel incredibly frustrated with hearing nothing.

Surely a brief statement outlining their initial plans wouldn’t have been too much to ask?

Appreciate those thoughts Forest. I don’t think some information is that far away. I do agree some information for the general public will be valuable as everyone has opinions on the state of football in the region. The previous Commission was viewed as somewhat secretive so I believe it will be good if they get on the front foot as soon as they can. I think they have started well with their work and liaison with clubs/ leagues.

If you speak to someone at Castlemaine I am sure they will update you.

We think the BFNL has problems but the Loddon Valley and a couple of clubs in the HDFNL are also suffering and need assistance. The Council has a big job to do.

Last edited:

Ask the club?

Appreciate those thoughts Forest. I don’t think some information is that far away. I do agree some information for the general public will be valuable as everyone has opinions on the state of football in the region. The previous Commission was viewed as somewhat secretive so I believe it will be good if they get on the front foot as soon as they can. I think they have started well with their work and liaison with clubs/ leagues.

We think the BFNL has problems but the Loddon Valley and a couple of clubs in the HDFNL are also suffering and need assistance. The Council has a big job to do.
I think given the events I'd think a review of afl cv is required by the commission. With findings in October. I'd think that'd keep everyone happens, what clubs and leagues do with the findings is up to them

Sorry I wasn’t clear, I didn’t mean myself personally but the thousands of people who are interested in the game but not really connected to a club. There’s plenty of people who come and watch or follow the scores who would love to know what the future holds for the game they love.
At the moment all they hear is clubs are dying or leaving and nothing else.

Would have been great for the council to come out and say something to reassure them I think.

I think given the events I'd think a review of afl cv is required by the commission. With findings in October. I'd think that'd keep everyone happens, what clubs and leagues do with the findings is up to them

An independent review into the region is probably the best suggestion I’ve heard on here or anywhere else.

Unfortunately we all know how the AFL likes transparency and independence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back