Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

He's just posted a heart-warming story about coaching changes at Sandhurst. Can take the weekend off now.

If this broadford thing is true I am officially off this page as well - the comp is absolutely shot and watch the bush clubs raid all the players in the BFL now. Recruiting will be a piece of piss. Premier comp with the broadford bikies in it - HA HA HA HA HA - I actually still believe this is a joke and won’t happen

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

With the BFNL seemingly focused on the greater Bendigo area and the growth of the Gisborne Giants in the Riddell league, could we see the Gisborne Bulldogs push for a move to the EDFL at some point?
More likely Ballarat and play sunba, darley marsh and melton all within 20 minutes

The Gisborne juniors would be a lot better off playing against clubs like Keilor, Strathmore and Aberfeldie…. Being a big fish in a small pond like the RDFL juniors is not good for development…

Gut feel they would currently be at the same level of the lower half of the EDFL Premier Division….

Bendigo league teams that finish 4-5 would be about equal to the top 3 clubs in the second tier EDFL Division 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Given how consistently strong Gisborne have been for the past decade, predominantly with home grown kids that have come through their junior system, I think it’s a stretch to say their juniors being in the RDFL isn’t good for development.

Let’s say Broadford come in, and Maryborough stay, the average winning margin is likely going to push out past 100 points next year, to make this the most uneven comp in the state. Surely the status as a premier league comp is in massive danger, with an official categorisation as a community league bound to happen in the next 1-2 years.

Why are Maryborough not looking at the North Central League? Yes travel every second week, but to warmer and better grounds than the Central Highlands. I would have thought this is next best option.......... Maryborough why has this not been in the discussion?

TOTS, the club has looked at North Central (we have looked at all options) but to be honest the club has nothing in common with clubs up north such as Sea Lake. The travel is significant and with our struggle for numbers I believe moving north would not really provide any benefit. Recruiting is hard and we are looking to be more local in order to tap into Ballarat and Melbourne where many of our former players reside.

The feedback so far from all involved in the review is to look at leagues locally and not increase travel requirements as we believe there is not any benefit to the club and securing a long term future. We certainly have looked at this option and others too. It is a detailed review and nothing is being left unturned.

Wouldn't think so. But in saying that their women's are EDFL so you just never know. The sunbury kangas women's were EDFL and they used that as a spring board to get their men's in. But I'd say Gissy will go to Ballarat and get their old RDFL rivals back.

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Very confident from what I am hearing that Gisborne will be looking to move to Ballarat for the 2026 season. Giants will be in Riddell. Why you would wish to join Essendon is beyond me. Not a great competition for various reasons and Gisborne in the Ballarat FNL will provide lots of local derbies and therefore many opportunities to raise additional revenue.

I didn’t say Ballarat and Bendigo have to pair. I’m saying everything needs to be scrapped and redrawn from scratch
I tend to agree Roota, every now and again a reset is needed to keep up with the times. I'm interested to know yours and other posters thoughts on what you think that would look like to keep footy (and netball) healthy in the region. If you had a clean slate to start from and had the final say on what leagues had what clubs, what would you do? I don't know enough about footy in this region yet but I think travel will be an increasing factor in minor leagues and a lucky few will just so happen to be near the mid-point of them. There will always be clubs on the outer circle of leagues, it's just a matter of where you drop the pin really. I also think that the BFL will become a league that has mainly if not all city teams in it eventually, maybe in a decade. Less travel would perhaps be a benefit over minor leagues if BFL i in fact still a major league by then

Very confident from what I am hearing that Gisborne will be looking to move to Ballarat for the 2026 season. Giants will be in Riddell. Why you would wish to join Essendon is beyond me. Not a great competition for various reasons and Gisborne in the Ballarat FNL will provide lots of local derbies and therefore many opportunities to raise additional revenue.
Yep Giants to start in the RDFL next year. Gisborne would be far better off in Ballarat. I agree with the comment regarding EDFL. The Kangaroos and Rupertswood would be starting to regret their moves now.

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Gisborne juniors would be a lot better off playing against clubs like Keilor, Strathmore and Aberfeldie…. Being a big fish in a small pond like the RDFL juniors is not good for development…

Gut feel they would currently be at the same level of the lower half of the EDFL Premier Division….

Bendigo league teams that finish 4-5 would be about equal to the top 3 clubs in the second tier EDFL Division 1.

Bit doubtful on that, youre talking about Eaglehawk/GS/Strath—many of these EDFL low premier / high div 1 teams never seem to maintain the success. They get an influx of cash or snag a premium player or two and it lasts for a couple of years and then they are back where they started

Given how consistently strong Gisborne have been for the past decade, predominantly with home grown kids that have come through their junior system, I think it’s a stretch to say their juniors being in the RDFL isn’t good for development.

It could be a whole lot better playing against quality opposition….

For example Gisborne junior teams would at times have 24 kids….

For a 60 minute game each kids takes a quarter on the bench…. And a quarter in defence…. So in 70% of games against the smaller clubs the kids only get 30 minutes of footy where the action is…

Often the seconds would play against first teams so in that situation the best player in the twos would be the 25th best player playing against the best players v the smaller club…

It would be a lot better for development and resilience if the Gisborne kids played against strong clubs like Strathmore Keilor and Aber’s ..(playing against the best Bendigo clubs would also be good)

The RDFL is really a village competition and the overall standard is obvious to all by the interleague results..

It could be a whole lot better playing against quality opposition….

For example Gisborne junior teams would at times have 24 kids….

For a 60 minute game each kids takes a quarter on the bench…. And a quarter in defence…. So in 70% of games against the smaller clubs the kids only get 30 minutes of footy where the action is…

Often the seconds would play against first teams so in that situation the best player in the twos would be the 25th best player playing against the best players v the smaller club…

It would be a lot better for development and resilience if the Gisborne kids played against strong clubs like Strathmore Keilor and Aber’s ..(playing against the best Bendigo clubs would also be good)

The RDFL is really a village competition and the overall standard is obvious to all by the interleague results..

You do realise they play juniors against bacchus marsh, darley Sunbury

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You do realise they play juniors against bacchus marsh, darley Sunbury
No Bacchus Marsh or Darley in the RDFL juniors, but Sunbury Lions are.
Quick scan of the junior ladders shows they have 2/9 teams finish on top, none above under 13 level - so clearly not as strong as is being suggested.
If they went to the EDFL, you’d think a lot of the kids would join the Giants, purely for travel reasons.

Kflat are are disgrace, coaching panel dont know what they are doing blaming each other who is in charge of rotations etc hope the new coaches bring some stability to the club

Square over Slags in the biggest upset of the year
If you have been keeping an eye on Square's form in recent weeks it is not such a big upset. With Toma & Monti back and some pretty good recruits, (Rosengren & Daniels in particular), I would say they have every intention of defending their flag.

Saintron have Kangaroo Flat appointed new coaches?

If you have been keeping an eye on Square's form in recent weeks it is not such a big upset. With Toma & Monti back and some pretty good recruits, (Rosengren & Daniels in particular), I would say they have every intention of defending their flag.

Saintron have Kangaroo Flat appointed new coaches?
Square have shown improvements throughout the year. I'd agree they are peaking and it's good to see the development of their players

Any news around the grounds today about the April fools joke broadford coming into the comp ? Surely it’s not true - crickets from the secret service though so the rumblings are getting louder

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back