Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

We got any Gissy locals on this page. Just having dinner and a gin and tonic at the Tele with a couple of old school mates, and they reckon 4 of this years top 8 players have put an ultimatum to the club that if they don’t join Ballarat next year they are all heading to Gisborne Giants.

He wouldn’t tell me who the 4 were, but said they have all come back to the club in past couple of years after playing higher level footy.

You would think if they went to Giants, that Giants will be hard to beat in RDFL.

In regards to the Broadford signings from Flat - after digging a little deeper he previously played at Fitzroy an Port Adelaide I believe an will be a playing coach for next year I heard
Having lived in gisborne, this makes less sense than a robbo Monday morning article prior to being spell checked. Go and make up fairy tales on the rdfl thread

We got any Gissy locals on this page. Just having dinner and a gin and tonic at the Tele with a couple of old school mates, and they reckon 4 of this years top 8 players have put an ultimatum to the club that if they don’t join Ballarat next year they are all heading to Gisborne Giants.

He wouldn’t tell me who the 4 were, but said they have all come back to the club in past couple of years after playing higher level footy.

You would think if they went to Giants, that Giants will be hard to beat in RDFL.

In regards to the Broadford signings from Flat - after digging a little deeper he previously played at Fitzroy an Port Adelaide I believe an will be a playing coach for next year I heard
Preseason you told us Gisborne would shortly announce four highly rated interstate recruits. Was that story also from the same 'old school mates'. For that matter I cannot think of any Gisborne players who have come back to the club this year after 'playing higher level football'.

As for the ex Fitzroy playing coach - that club folded up in 1996. Let us be polite and say 'this is a lit bit unlikely'.

Has been fairly strong mail about Cupido not being at Maryborough Giants next year. Things certainly haven’t gone as was planned. I was very surprised he was appointed in the first place considering his history. If you want stability I am not sure he was the correct appointment and his best playing days are well behind him. He is very overweight and cannot run.

As for Patton, he can’t run either. Knees are shot. Living on the Gold Coast selling real estate.

And if Johns is appointed god help us and the ‘holy trinity’ will be in place. The club will be a bigger basket case than ever if it comes out of recess. If he is bandied around as coach surely they will contact Belgrave FNC or Crib Point FNC. He was pretty much run out of both clubs…

We have so much information that could be used for the Utopia episode. You couldn’t make this crap up….

But Carol thinks expansion of the league is important and a strategic goal. You have to be kidding….

Sharp must be a mastermind football administrator and recruiter….

Cupido spot on LFG he is heading Mildura way in 2025

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Having lived in gisborne, this makes less sense than a robbo Monday morning article prior to being spell checked. Go and make up fairy tales on the rdfl thread
may not make sense yet but if they lose players to the giants for less travel then thats one alarm bell. if the bfl choose to become something closer to district level theres another. a third potentially could be a further diminished standard of football if broadford enter maryborough remain etc. should the ability to enjoy bigger home gates more frequently against sunbury melton darley bacchus marsh who are all close geographically closer then theres four reasons any club should be considering there next move. fifth would be the not being allowed to be heard or the right as a fee paying stakeholder to vote on this broadford nonsense.

If true it's even more ridiculous than it's ever been! It's like recruiting a broken-down hack and giving away a star player in the one deal.
if true its as silly as suggesting a near 50yo former afl player will come out of retirement and attempt to be captain coach of a non football participating lower level district community netball club and leading them from oblivion to major league superstardom.
like I said earlier Jesus christ couldnt pull this off

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gisborne, Sunbury, Darley and the 2 Meltons should have always stuck together in the same competition. Can anyone remember why Gisborne waited a couple of years after the others to leave Riddell?
They weren't as big as a town as they are now, at that time they might have been smaller than kyneton

Asked some senior Gissy players at the start of the year all said happy in Bendigo FL. Asked the same question at the RDFNL junior finals at Gisborne on Sunday to the same players much different response, it seems the inclusion of Giants to the RDFNL is enticing with most games within a 20 min drive. Not saying the best Gisborne players are looking but definitely some are. No rivalries less travel and the way Bendigo FL is heading seemed to be the reasons Ballarat FL is becoming more appealing.

Seriously - now offering more points and cap to a NEW CLUB

WHAT ABOUT MARYBOROUGH

Seriously what are they doing - the sad thing is people are starting to believe their bulls&&t - people are believing it’s a positive move !!!!

I say it again - this is like Campbells creek going into Bendigo FL

Seriously - now offering more points and cap to a NEW CLUB

WHAT ABOUT MARYBOROUGH

Seriously what are they doing - the sad thing is people are starting to believe their bulls&&t - people are believing it’s a positive move !!!!

I say it again - this is like Campbells creek going into Bendigo FL

I’m just getting across this development which at face value makes sense with the precedents mentioned in said article.
If you’re Maryborough and to lesser extent Castlemaine, who have done it tough and been entitled to some similar love, but have had none from those in charge, you’d be rightly miffed
All of a sudden with a new toy on offer the league is going to bend over backwards and support any move to bring them in under the corporate gobbledygook spin of “competitive balance”.
Is this the tipping point for clubs to find a voice and oppose Broadford coming in?

Last edited:
I’m just getting across this development which at face value makes sense with the precedents mentioned in said article.
If you’re Maryborough and to lesser extent Castlemaine, who have done it tough and been entitled to some similar love, but have had none from those in charge, you’d be rightly miffed
All of a sudden with a new toy on offer the league is going to bend over backwards and support any move to bring them in under the corporate gobbledygook spin of “competitive balance”.
Is this the tipping point for clubs to find a voice and oppose Broadford coming in?
This reminds me of Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Willy has arrived in town again and tried to give his home club Broadford a Golden ticket. I cannot believe anyone would listen to Willies nonsense let alone action it.

Quite disappointed to hear Gisborne are highly likely to look at Ballarat FNL for 2025. Ballarat has made many approaches over the years to get the club across.

Gisborne has always been happy in Bendigo and they have been a great club bringing so many benefits to the league. I know the club was extremely disappointed about Kyneton leaving and we at Maryborough cannot thank those at Gisborne enough for their help and support, they have been fantastic for us in many ways.

To admit a club that is in recess and have clubs like ours not in great shape and some with uncertain futures is a ridiculous decision. As I have said previously the league needs stability and support for existing clubs, not going with expansion and including a club that has no hope in hell of being competitive and has no relationship/ connection with the league. I feel the league is just pandering to the agenda of an individual who promises the world and delivers little. I have no doubt if this happens and goes awry it will be a ‘I told you so’ moment from the football community.

Why we do this and be happy to subsequently lose one of our premier clubs is beyond me.

The whole situation is ridiculous and could potentially be the death knell of the league…

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back