Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

It sounds like a formality that broadford are in the bendigo football league.

Greg madigan this is actually your time to shine and knock this on the head. Broadford will be in recess in 12 months, with this decision. It is the worst decision to ever happen in country football.

Do we want to ruin grass roots footy? He actually needs to talk to the club and help broker a deal to get them in the Northern league and play against Kilmore. Afl Victoria I'm pretty sure this is the reason you've taken over the vcfl and leagues over the state to actually provide sustainable clubs. How's allowing a club been in recess 2 years and never played in a major league a good idea to travel 2 hours against clubs you've never played against a good idea

Greg madigan this is actually your time to shine and knock this on the head. Broadford will be in recess in 12 months, with this decision. It is the worst decision to ever happen in country football.

Do we want to ruin grass roots footy? He actually needs to talk to the club and help broker a deal to get them in the Northern league and play against Kilmore. Afl Victoria I'm pretty sure this is the reason you've taken over the vcfl and leagues over the state to actually provide sustainable clubs. How's allowing a club been in recess 2 years and never played in a major league a good idea to travel 2 hours against clubs you've never played against a good idea
Doesn’t make Crazy look so crazy anymore does it - he’s been calling for months for Madigan to pop his head up from the sand.
Of course though Trent, you could always “send him an email” 😜

They are already in recess old mate…they will not get a team up to play in the Bendigo league next season

Took Carol 15 years to find big footy Greg doesnt understand any statement that includes regional and footy together. Nil chance of him knowing anything of this unless it appears in the Financial Review or North Old Boys monthly newsletter.

Took Carol 15 years to find big footy Greg doesnt understand any statement that includes regional and footy together. Nil chance of him knowing anything of this unless it appears in the Financial Review or North Old Boys monthly newsletter.
He is far from a NOB, more like SKOB

Last edited:
I’ve always felt it weird playing Gisborne in praccies (for lions), seem a great set of lads that play awesome footy and the rivalry is there, even when they played Kyenton. They must of really loved and wanting to make the Bendigo league work for em, with it obviously being more and more of a one way relationship.

Hopefully they do make the jump, my footys done and doggies lions for points seems like it has the makings of a genuinely big day

This is all a bad dream and its not really happening. How does Broadford's business case stack up at all, you wouldn't go into partnership with a company that was insolvent if you ran a business so why allow a club that is in recess, which hasn't played at a high level or even dominated at a lower level. This is just too unbelievable to be true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The weekly times look like they are also running with the story, yet no news agencies have bothered to think is it a good idea, as I say this is the worst decision I've seen in country footy but the board are happy to tick it off unbelievable
im actually looking forward to following it now. without forest broadford is the only reason i switch to the bfl channel ha ha.
this has all the making of that old football show the hammerheads. in fact maybe hutchy is bank rolling this insanity if the earlier mentiond mafia are not.

I was involved in the discussions around the possible inclusion into the KDL for 2024.

Broadford’s distance and superior population were two main factors of consideration, many of our clubs have populations under 400. Their population is larger than two traditionally strong GVL teams and they have a greater proximity to Melbourne via the Hume.

Rochester 3154
Euroa 3116
Broadford 4076

I understand that their pending admission to the Bendigo League from recess is one huge undertaking, but if they can get it right there is a chance that it could work.

Euroa and Rochester would have to have two of the more closely knit football/netball communities in the entire state. So the Broadford community would need to unite together for this to have any chance. They’ve bounced about leagues and sadly haven’t found their place.

FWIW, their travel distances would be shorter in the GVL, KDL, RDL, and HDL.

1723610628721.png

The Cupido experiment is over after one year. Was a surprising decision when he was appointed based on his history and continual movement from club to club. He is overweight and his best playing days are well behind him. Why the newly formed committee at Maryborough Giants chose him we will never know. They would have been much better off appointing a quality player who wanted to have his first go at coaching.

Now they have to start again. Not the best for the merged club who whilst on field haven't had the best year, have done well bringing two clubs together and commencing a new chapter.

PS - I wish they showed a photo of him in his current state as the one from Essendon is a bit misleading. Damien has certainly been in a good paddock.

I was involved in the discussions around the possible inclusion into the KDL for 2024.

Broadford’s distance and superior population were two main factors of consideration, many of our clubs have populations under 400. Their population is larger than two traditionally strong GVL teams and they have a greater proximity to Melbourne via the Hume.

Rochester 3154
Euroa 3116
Broadford 4076

I understand that their pending admission to the Bendigo League from recess is one huge undertaking, but if they can get it right there is a chance that it could work.

Euroa and Rochester would have to have two of the more closely knit football/netball communities in the entire state. So the Broadford community would need to unite together for this to have any chance. They’ve bounced about leagues and sadly haven’t found their place.

Mate - just please don’t piss down our back and tell us it’s raining. Golden square / strath / sandhurst will not even budget to play their seniors against broadford - waste of money and time

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Mate - just please don’t piss down our back and tell us it’s raining. Golden square / strath / sandhurst will not even budget to play their seniors against broadford - waste of money and time

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I am not saying that this is going to work, I was just providing some context of population and some reasoning as to why they may have been unsuccessful in their KDL bid.

Rochester 3154
Euroa 3116
Broadford 4076

Yep but kyneton struggled in the bfl with about 6 or 7k population. I agree they could never go to kdfl, rochy for example have their kids growing up aspiring to play senior footy for rochy, from the dirty years they have a system of what's expected in all grades of footy of how to play for rochy. That mentality fast tracks their kids and they keep 14-16 core senior players as locals. Not sure there's the same feel at broady

Yep but kyneton struggled in the bfl with about 6 or 7k population. I agree they could never go to kdfl, rochy for example have their kids growing up aspiring to play senior footy for rochy, from the dirty years they have a system of what's expected in all grades of footy of how to play for rochy. That mentality fast tracks their kids and they keep 14-16 core senior players as locals. Not sure there's the same feel at broady
It’s an interesting point you make Trent - if I recall correctly a number of current and a recently departed BFL club were told that due to their population size, were seen to be a “2nd tier” size club and not long term “top level/premier” clubs. Yet here we are now about to bring in a team which would have a smaller population than any of those - go figure!

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back