Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Broadford’s distance and superior population were two main factors of consideration, many of our clubs have populations under 400. Their population is larger than two traditionally strong GVL teams and they have a greater proximity to Melbourne via the Hume.

Rochester 3154
Euroa 3116
Broadford 4076

I understand that their pending admission to the Bendigo League from recess is one huge undertaking, but if they can get it right there is a chance that it could work.
FWIW, their travel distances would be shorter in the GVL, KDL, RDL, and HDL.
population means little so close to melbuorne now. cheap real estate out around craigieburn and then further north but its the demogrpahic moving there that is simply not interested in aussie rules. if population was a thing broadford shouldnt be in recess now.
theres a pattern of habits that may very well see them land by default in bendigo but then be either closed permanently in embarassment or they just vote again to find a 5ht home within 15 years once they realise its a huge mistake.
communities are no longer what they once were and those numbers cant be used as a lazy reason in a for or against sense when it comes to district level footy.

Shepparton News article suggesting Echuca is considering a move (crazy to leave the GVL if you ask me).

What could the BFNL offer them to convince them to move? Personally, I cannot see the members approving such a move anyway.
I nearly choked on my breakfast when I read that yesterday! There is no way Echuca will leave the GV to play in a league that can no longer be considered a major one with the inclusion of Broadford. Echuca v Broadford ...imagine how that would play out.

The weekly times look like they are also running with the story, yet no news agencies have bothered to think is it a good idea, as I say this is the worst decision I've seen in country footy but the board are happy to tick it off unbelieva
It's more than 3 weeks since the original WT story on this subject. Begs the question how clubs can stay silent without a squeak of opposition. Or does the BFNL hold something over them that we can't see or know about. As you say, if they aren't willing to speak up, there is not much the media can do about it. As much as they would like to quote people on here that can't happen. It's over to the clubs, but as your rightly point out there is a sniff of inevitability about this.

It's more than 3 weeks since the original WT story on this subject. Begs the question how clubs can stay silent without a squeak of opposition. Or does the BFNL hold something over them that we can't see or know about. As you say, if they aren't willing to speak up, there is not much the media can do about it. As much as they would like to quote people on here that can't happen. It's over to the clubs, but as your rightly point out there is a sniff of inevitability about this.
leaning towards sentence 3 above which is a concern for everyone

Spoke to someone who claims to have spoken to club Presidents. Said the Broadford President spoke very well and she made a strong case.

But again I ask you, why wouldn't clubs be for it? Rock up, win by 200 points and have a pub crawl function through Tooby, Heathcote, Axedale on the way back.

It's a no brainer for clubs, it's the board that should be the voice of reason.

unless its the guy auld as the rest of them live the other way or are all about scholarships for school footy.
He's in charge of the gp, surprised chalk hasn't ended up there instead of tat.

I'm hearing the manager of community football manager is pushing this, hence the bendigo league board are on song. How it makes sense for the Broadford community is beyond me or the matyborough community

He's in charge of the gp, surprised chalk hasn't ended up there instead of tat.

I'm hearing the manager of community football manager is pushing this, hence the bendigo league board are on song. How it makes sense for the Broadford community is beyond me or the matyborough community
Of Broadford?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spoke to someone who claims to have spoken to club Presidents. Said the Broadford President spoke very well and she made a strong case.

But again I ask you, why wouldn't clubs be for it? Rock up, win by 200 points and have a pub crawl function through Tooby, Heathcote, Axedale on the way back.

It's a no brainer for clubs, it's the board that should be the voice of reason.

They presented to club representatives. Wasn’t a bad presentation but short on detail. A lot of pie in the sky/ aspirational stuff. Trust me they haven’t got a hope in hell of being competitive. Remember they were in the bottom division of outer east prior to going into recess and that is the level of football they are suited to.

Clubs have spoken up about their reservations on the proposal. Rest assured many clubs are not supportive of this. Will the BFNL hierarchy consider this? Probably not as Carol and co. is definitely wanting expansion rather that consolidating a league that already has heaps of issues including struggling clubs.

Yep I hear the afl vic manager of community sport has got behind the broady to bendigo push, which is absurd as it will ruin the broady community playing in the bfl, so he should resign if that's the case and be trying to get them in the Northern league

Would like to know where was the AFL Victoria support for the club when they merged with Yea due to player shortages and then went into recess the following year. That’s right, there wasn’t any. Selective agendas and pushing the barrows of so called influential people me thinks…

Where is AFL Victoria in helping my club and football in the Goldfields region? Crickets…..

Football needs to be fixed in a number of areas around the state and the AFL Victoria mantra of late has been that they will oversee things but not intervene in any disputes.

The last proactive investigation of note if I am correct was the whole West Gippsland/Alberton scenario around five years ago.

So now allegedly we are now seeing a situation where one club is getting preferential treatment while other leagues and clubs get silence when there is a need for help.

Bemusing stuff. I think the Picola league are onto something.

Football needs to be fixed in a number of areas around the state and the AFL Victoria mantra of late has been that they will oversee things but not intervene in any disputes.

The last proactive investigation of note if I am correct was the whole West Gippsland/Alberton scenario around five years ago.

So now allegedly we are now seeing a situation where one club is getting preferential treatment while other leagues and clubs get silence when there is a need for help.

Bemusing stuff. I think the Picola league are onto something.

And look how that review turned out. Football still isn’t right in that area. The loss of the Alberton FNL was a travesty with long standing rivalries between clubs coming to an end after many many years…

Self-interest is affecting football in that region.

West Gippsland, Ellinbank, Mid Gippsland, North Gippsland and Gippsland all don't want to concede ground to the others and AFL Victoria and AFL Gippsland have said they are not getting involved and "things can happen organically".

The problems will linger for a while yet and will probably come at the cost of up to half a dozen clubs before action is taken.

They presented to club representatives. Wasn’t a bad presentation but short on detail. A lot of pie in the sky/ aspirational stuff. Trust me they haven’t got a hope in hell of being competitive. Remember they were in the bottom division of outer east prior to going into recess and that is the level of football they are suited to.

Clubs have spoken up about their reservations on the proposal. Rest assured many clubs are not supportive of this. Will the BFNL hierarchy consider this? Probably not as Carol and co. is definitely wanting expansion rather that consolidating a league that already has heaps of issues including struggling clubs.
They presented to the Presidents, was there a 2nd meeting? I've been told the 9 in the room didn't object at that meeting.

I stand corrected on how competitive they can be by Roota and Trent on here and others elsewhere so I'm not making comment on that.

I've spoken to a bloke with direct lines to several Presidents and he's not hearing these objections. If clubs object then they need to stop hiding in the shadows and do it, either via media or by turfing the board out. Otherwise they get what they deserve.

Going "oh we told the board and they didn't listen wah wah" is primary school crap. There are more avenues than talking to the board.

They presented to the Presidents, was there a 2nd meeting? I've been told the 9 in the room didn't object at that meeting.

I stand corrected on how competitive they can be by Roota and Trent on here and others elsewhere so I'm not making comment on that.

I've spoken to a bloke with direct lines to several Presidents and he's not hearing these objections. If clubs object then they need to stop hiding in the shadows and do it, either via media or by turfing the board out. Otherwise they get what they deserve.

Going "oh we told the board and they didn't listen wah wah" is primary school crap. There are more avenues than talking to the board.

I think the board will do whatever they like - if they get an extra club and it doesn’t present any challenges to sandhurst then happy days.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That was the meeting but not all Presidents were in attendance (some clubs had other representatives there) rkjc22. In relation to your comment about any objections, the meeting wasn't the forum to start making statements and positions. It was up to those in attendance to return to their respective clubs and seek feedback. I am not sure who is your 'direct line' but rest assured there are clubs who are not in agreement with the proposal. The feedback has been communicated to the BFNL board and representatives.

Talk has reached Ballarat that Maryborough have decided to go into recess for two years.
That doesn't feel right localfootyguru?

Not accurate Grimmett although I can state an announcement is imminent on the future of Maryborough FNC.

I forgot to mention we have a huge day at Princes Park with all the club teams playing and heaps of fun for children and adults alike. Looking forward to a great day and big turnout.

Last edited:
That was the meeting but not all Presidents were in attendance (some clubs had other representatives there) rkjc22. In relation to your comment about any objections, the meeting wasn't the forum to start making statements and positions. It was up to those in attendance to return to their respective clubs and seek feedback. I am not sure who is your 'direct line' but rest assured there are clubs who are not in agreement with the proposal. The feedback has been communicated to the BFNL board and representatives.
I'm not getting into a pissing contest over who has better mail so I'll respectfully agree to disagree on the level of discontent but stand by my comments that there is more avenues than just the board to provide that feedback.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back