Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I get the feeling you aren’t all that experienced with marketing.

You’ll have to trust me when I tell you that when clubs are selling to sponsors the number of eyeballs they can point to hitting their supporter engagement material is extremely important.
Are you serious Forest? When I go to playHQ for live scores I would not have a clue who the sponsors are. Nor do I care.

I want live scores.

Thankfully my home club do it really well without fuss. It's called Community Service.

Are you serious Forest? When I go to playHQ for live scores I would not have a clue who the sponsors are. Nor do I care.

I want live scores.

Thankfully my home club do it really well without fuss. It's called Community Service.

Well said Silver. For all our challenges at Maryborough, we do this without fuss every home game. We have the same view that it is a community service and we do receive feedback from people telling us they use the service.

It’s not hard to do and even in our perilous state we get it done. It’s for people who are interested in our club but cannot get there. The more we can try and promote our club despite its challenges the better.

Well said Silver. For all our challenges at Maryborough, we do this without fuss every home game. We have the same view that it is a community service and we do receive feedback from people telling us they use the service.

It’s not hard to do and even in our perilous state we get it done. It’s for people who are interested in our club but cannot get there. The more we can try and promote our club despite its challenges the better.
Some people are doers and some people are whingers mate

All the best for whatever comes next

Last edited:

What have they done? Do the BFL board have no resposibility in how their league is run?
Afl didn’t bring in affiliation agreements which state , or words to the affect .’ AFL rules shall take precedent over any leagues rules ‘ and then amend their own rules at the start of 2023 to relinquish any obligation to any procedures or engagement by way of terms along the lines of ‘ as afl see fit ‘ to give league boards more say in the running of their league .
Things like appeals have all lost any means of in face meeting, which strip all party’s the means of cross examination and/ or accountability.
Anyone thinking hubs aren’t being micromanaged and dictated to by those further up the chain are deluded .

As I understand it, the Broadford push is from the afl vic community manager hence why the bfl board are just nodding in agreeance

Can it be spelt out any clearer

They don’t have any sides

They don’t have a plan

They aren’t a functioning club

But they will take it up to Golden square and strath

I’d be bringing in Harcourt or Trentham

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can it be spelt out any clearer

They don’t have any sides

They don’t have a plan

They aren’t a functioning club

But they will take it up to Golden square and strath

I’d be bringing in Harcourt or Trentham

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
First port of call is white hills and huntly merge, have one side in the bfl and one in the hdfl. Second one is marong. 3rd club is the new Calder team. There's a chance Charlton will join the merger soon. Then it's echuca and Moama. Get them in the same league and create a rivalry

Some people or doers and some people are whingers mate

All the best for whatever comes next
At the end of the day this is all a bit moot. The original point about Cmaine not scoring that is.

Castlemaine do put the live scoring up. For whatever reason there was a hiccup in their last home game. Other times live scores occasionally aren't up for different games around the league.
Castlemaine supporters at the ground rely on the live scoring to know the score as the scoreboard is an older one and basically unreadable. Usually Helen Butcher is up with the timekeepers, so I would think that she generally does it. A family who invest many hours of their own time back into the club.

Last edited:
In fairness they can get on the phone to get scores and at the same time engage in communication with people .
Country football isn’t the AFL competition and there is minimal financial benefit gained from things like live scoring and/ live-streaming which makes its way to the clubs .
On the other hand there is some data to confirm that livestream / live scoring does affect gates which goes directly to clubs .
I hope the connection through being at the footy having a beer / enagaging in the community isn’t lost , it serves the community far more than selling a beer or gate admission .

I’d argue that the chance for the community to connect through our sports is actually more important than anything that happens on the field or court.

The matches serve as the common interest that brings everyone together for those hours each week.

The reason why we all love finals is that it brings everyone out of the woodwork. We speak of ‘atmosphere’, what we actually refer to is the connectedness to other people.

In my experience in footy, there are so many people that I engage with at training or on game day that I’d never actually visit the home of. Then to think of the supporters of my club that I’d see each week, this also extends to people from the opposition. Have a quick think about the people that you chat to each time you come up against a particular club. You’d probably have your regulars that you’d chat with at the footy annually.

Scores, etc are great. But the real value in what we do is the people and the chance to regularly do something that isn’t our day job or chores at home.

First port of call is white hills and huntly merge, have one side in the bfl and one in the hdfl. Second one is marong. 3rd club is the new Calder team. There's a chance Charlton will join the merger soon. Then it's echuca and Moama. Get them in the same league and create a rivalry
I like this. Shame it’s a never gonna happen. Don’t count out MGYCW either I know it’s a disaster at the minute but the bones are there; growing junior club, growth area of Bendigo, travel is a non factor. They just need to get the right people. It’s a shame there just isn’t the people to make something like this work.

I want live scores.

There’s a cross conversation going on here.

No one is arguing that live scores aren’t a good feature, good for keeping people involved etc and that they are a worthwhile job to do for a club.

The original point was there are issues with the reliability and ability of volunteers to run the system, especially when things go wrong.

Where I lose patience is when someone suggests clubs should sort these issues.

The hub introduced live scores, they have the commercial arrangement with play hq, their website links to it, when you go on there it is the hub sponsors that are highlighted. They are receiving all the benefits because clubs can easily keep their supporters connected via other channels.

So it should be the hub who proactively solve any issues with it and instigate processes to solve issues. As it is it is just a micro example of the complete lack of service clubs receive for the fortune they pay out. Remember these hubs were sold to clubs on the promise they would reduce volunteer workloads, not increase them. Without doubt the biggest lie in football history which is an impressive feat given what is put around about player payments.

That would all be fantastic but the problem is the incompetence of those in charge has damaged the league brand that much no one even wants to sit down and hear a pitch.

There’s a cross conversation going on here.

No one is arguing that live scores aren’t a good feature, good for keeping people involved etc and that they are a worthwhile job to do for a club.

The original point was there are issues with the reliability and ability of volunteers to run the system, especially when things go wrong.

Where I lose patience is when someone suggests clubs should sort these issues.

The hub introduced live scores, they have the commercial arrangement with play hq, their website links to it, when you go on there it is the hub sponsors that are highlighted. They are receiving all the benefits because clubs can easily keep their supporters connected via other channels.

So it should be the hub who proactively solve any issues with it and instigate processes to solve issues. As it is it is just a micro example of the complete lack of service clubs receive for the fortune they pay out. Remember these hubs were sold to clubs on the promise they would reduce volunteer workloads, not increase them. Without doubt the biggest lie in football history which is an impressive feat given what is put around about player payments.

That would all be fantastic but the problem is the incompetence of those in charge has damaged the league brand that much no one even wants to sit down and hear a pitch.

Maybe the league should get the Goal Umpires to update the online score each quarter. At least they are paid by the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe the league should get the Goal Umpires to update the online score each quarter. At least they are paid by the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why cant they score off the ipad (playhq) to connect to the electronic scoreboard (if they have one).

Pretty sure thats how some venues do cricket, its all linked. No doubt issues from time to time though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But you’re continual bitching and moaning is doing wonders to the reputation of the league

I believe that’s what is referred to as shooting the messenger.

My take is the game in this region is stuffed and in palliative care. The only hope is a complete restructure, dump the board, the hub and go back to an independent league model.

The council was our last hope but this far they have been pathetic.

Feel free to launch a spirited defence telling me how I’m wrong and what a good job they are all doing though.

But you’re continual bitching and moaning is doing wonders to the reputation of the league
From what I can see Forest provides well constructed opinions on a range of topics...that's right, I said OPINIONS!!. You cant ever be wrong with an a opinion, that and fact and water cooler Chats posted here are what makes this machine run. You don't have to like and agree with his and he doesn't have to like or agree with yours but at least attempt to be somewhat constructive instead of implying that his so called "bitching and moaning " is ruining the league. I don't even think Forest has that much power.

Maybe the league could chase Heathcote instead of Broadford and tempt them after the debacle of last Sunday…..
They appear to be a well run club with good player numbers, strong supporter base, sponsors, an excellent coach, and going from strength to strength with their in field performance (relatively)

First port of call is why on earth would either Huntly or White Hills do anything to prop up the BFNL? The thing is a disaster, dysfunctional administration, clubs who think Broadford coming in could benefit the league...? I would not think either club could give 2 stuffs about the BFNL or the disaster it has become

First port of call is why on earth would either Huntly or White Hills do anything to prop up the BFNL? The thing is a disaster, dysfunctional administration, clubs who think Broadford coming in could benefit the league...? I would not think either club could give 2 stuffs about the BFNL or the disaster it has become
Not sure it's the admin, this is being pushed from above them

Nailed it.

Travel might be an impact one way - gisborne > Echuca / mallee - but would create a very healthy league

Afl didn’t bring in affiliation agreements which state , or words to the affect .’ AFL rules shall take precedent over any leagues rules ‘ and then amend their own rules at the start of 2023 to relinquish any obligation to any procedures or engagement by way of terms along the lines of ‘ as afl see fit ‘ to give league boards more say in the running of their league .
Things like appeals have all lost any means of in face meeting, which strip all party’s the means of cross examination and/ or accountability.
Anyone thinking hubs aren’t being micromanaged and dictated to by those further up the chain are deluded .

Rumour is that the AFL is putting pressure on the WA Football Commission to start micro-managing grassroots footy in WA. Until now, WA football has had the same level of self-administration as Victorian leagues did in the VCFL/VMFL days.

It has been surprising that WA has been able to hold out the AFL for this long but I fear we are going to start suffering the same problems that you guys have had for the last 10 years or so in the near future :(

As I understand it, the Broadford push is from the afl vic community manager hence why the bfl board are just nodding in agreeance
There has been / is a theme with decisions that are non-logical and ultimately end up in a disaster within AFL Vic and the leagues under their control .

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back