Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

As someone who dislikes both sides equally, the thing that jumped out a me today was how much more desire Gisborne showed.

One team had a soul and one didn’t. Not sure what is going on at Sandhurst but it was a team of individuals today.
Only need to look as far as their playing coach to see why Sandhurst play that way

Gisborne looked a class above across the board. Dragons too many passengers. Maxted serviceable however.
Hope Gisbornes Clough is okay, mouth injury looked nasty and heard he was off to hospital - fingers crossed he’ll be right for 2 weeks time
I’m hearing Shane has a broken jaw and his season is done, a gun player. Missed an 18’s flag also I think.

Yes some comments on the football itself like they do on other forums would be a complete breath of fresh air.

From a (very large) distance, Gisborne looking menacing. Today Square and Eaglehawk should be a good game.
Again just watching on livestream, but Gisborne to me are back to the power team they were in the early 2000's. I think their depth is outstanding and their (up to now) lessor known players are destroying teams. There are just no weaknesses.

If Sandhurst was to get to the grand final, and that is no certainty, they are going to have to work out how to counter Blake. He destroyed them. This is a massive dilemma for the Dragons and I don't know what the answer is. Franky I don't think they have one. Square with Daniels are probably the team best equipped to counter him so it will be interesting to see what happens to day.

On a broader note I think it is essential to the future of the BFNL that it retains Gisborne. For all the BFNL's issues this club gives the competition a backbone. If Castlemaine was to make the finals next year it would not be all gloom and doom for the league. While all the rumours on this forum have Gisborne moving to the Ballarat league they are not coming from the club itself. Last year I spoke to a number of their players who all wanted to stay in the BFNL. I don't know what the attitude of Gisborne is to Broadford coming into the BFNL but if they were against it I think it would be utter madness to go against their wishes.

Again just watching on livestream, but Gisborne to me are back to the power team they were in the early 2000's. I think their depth is outstanding and their (up to now) lessor known players are destroying teams. There are just no weaknesses.

If Sandhurst was to get to the grand final, and that is no certainty, they are going to have to work out how to counter Blake. He destroyed them. This is a massive dilemma for the Dragons and I don't know what the answer is. Franky I don't think they have one. Square with Daniels are probably the team best equipped to counter him so it will be interesting to see what happens to day.

On a broader note I think it is essential to the future of the BFNL that it retains Gisborne. For all the BFNL's issues this club gives the competition a backbone. If Castlemaine was to make the finals next year it would not be all gloom and doom for the league. While all the rumours on this forum have Gisborne moving to the Ballarat league they are not coming from the club itself. Last year I spoke to a number of their players who all wanted to stay in the BFNL. I don't know what the attitude of Gisborne is to Broadford coming into the BFNL but if they were against it I think it would be utter madness to go against their wishes.
If only you had hosking or Martin albury still. Maybe you'll get a match permit for them haha

In all seriousness gisborne have been great for the league since their arrival, I'd doubt their thirds have missed finals since they came in and the gun juniors they produce always helps plus getting a few to cross over from clubs to the north as well

If only you had hosking or Martin albury still. Maybe you'll get a match permit for them haha

In all seriousness gisborne have been great for the league since their arrival, I'd doubt their thirds have missed finals since they came in and the gun juniors they produce always helps plus getting a few to cross over from clubs to the north as well
I think what we have in common Trent is, unlike many on this forum, we would actually like to see the BFNL competition do well. That is, an even competition with success shared. How that is done is very difficult. For a start, to have a healthy and balanced competition the BFNL needs competitive clubs outside greater Bendigo and in this regard Gisborne leads by example.

Manager of Commercial, Media and Operations ...

Sounds like their main job role will be to work out who everyone on BigFooty is and dish out punishments when we don't agree with the diktat from HQ.
oh you mean investigated by ‘ afl integrity’ , given warnings about confidentiality whilst AFL staff advise everyone of investigation in an attempt to incite wrong doing , finding being there is no case to answer , but retribution still given ?

😂 if only they spent as much money and resources investigating their own staff member who keeps being the centre of their ‘ investigations ‘ they’d have a lot less investigations and problems including broadford joining the BFL .

Last edited:
I think what we have in common Trent is, unlike many on this forum, we would actually like to see the BFNL competition do well. That is, an even competition with success shared. How that is done is very difficult. For a start, to have a healthy and balanced competition the BFNL needs competitive clubs outside greater Bendigo and in this regard Gisborne leads by example.
Yep I'd like to see bendigo footy great again. I like seeing the Heathcote league being a really good standard, but the bfl was in the top 5 leagues in the country for many years. I still recall the bfl grand final being televised on southern Cross where guys like Oliver, strauch, the filos, tyaak, bond and tranter worth watching plus having ex vfl players like Curran and percival play too. I'm not sure what happens with the demise of the pios, whether more kids come in and have s crack in the bfl

(Log in to remove this ad.)

oh you mean investigated by ‘ afl integrity’ , given warnings about confidentiality whilst AFL staff advise everyone of investigation in an attempt to incite wrong doing , finding being there is no case to answer , but retribution still given ?

😂 if only they spent as much money and resources investigating their own staff member who keeps being the centre of their ‘ investigations ‘ they’d have a lot less investigations and problems including broadford joining the BFL .

Would love to hear more about this one!

Ok mister I run my own league that has no issues

You're talking in riddles roar

Yep I'd like to see bendigo footy great again. I like seeing the Heathcote league being a really good standard, but the bfl was in the top 5 leagues in the country for many years. I still recall the bfl grand final being televised on southern Cross where guys like Oliver, strauch, the filos, tyaak, bond and tranter worth watching plus having ex vfl players like Curran and percival play too. I'm not sure what happens with the demise of the pios, whether more kids come in and have s crack in the bfl
What do you mean by the demise of the Pioneers Trent? I am not up with that scene as I have no interest in it.

Gisborne looked a class above across the board. Dragons too many passengers. Maxted serviceable however.
Hope Gisbornes Clough is okay, mouth injury looked nasty and heard he was off to hospital - fingers crossed he’ll be right for 2 weeks time
Happened to be in the ER waiting to get patched up when he was in there. Fractured jaw requiring a re-wire. End of the season for him sadly.

For a bloke who had his jaw all over his face he seemed in ok spirits. Wish him a speedy recovery.

If Sandhurst was to get to the grand final, and that is no certainty, they are going to have to work out how to counter Blake. He destroyed them. This is a massive dilemma for the Dragons and I don't know what the answer is

The thing that surprised me at the ground was how passive they were Albury.

I think most players are well aware that Blake isn’t the most physically robust player going around, I would have expected them to smash him at every opportunity but they applied no physical pressure at all.

Was a confusing performance from Sandhurst I thought, something quite off about it.

I'd heard the league had been disbandoned for next year. Where it's school footy then the kids play vfl and train vfl
A proposal has been proposed that Coates league teams should align with a VFL side. The only viable option would be a Pioneers /Essendon VFL setup. I believe coaches etc will come from VFL clubs. A bit like the Development League that ended in 2017.

The thing that surprised me at the ground was how passive they were Albury.

I think most players are well aware that Blake isn’t the most physically robust player going around, I would have expected them to smash him at every opportunity but they applied no physical pressure at all.

Was a confusing performance from Sandhurst I thought, something quite off about it.
What I could not work out for the life of me Forest is why Blake was continually allowed to take the front position in the ruck at boundary throw ins. The boundary umpire on the grandstand side in particular continually lobbed the ball short. (Quite normal in BFNL football although you would expect better in a final). Blake was onto this in a flash and, always in the front position, was practically spoon fed - you'd think it was his brother tossing it to him. Blake continually got his hands to the ball - at one stage gabbing it and running into an open goal. I don't think you can smash him to use your words, but he needs to be tagged as per the likes of Tardrew & Toma. If you allow Blake to continually give Gisborne's on ballers first use of the ball the game will be taken away from you in the blink of an eye.

If you could get Blake back to Castlemaine I reckon you would be playing finals.

On the subject of the Pioneers I would not miss them. Hopefully we could enjoy seeing some younger talented guys running around in the BFNL again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back