Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure mate just how I thought it had been graded
Have you seen the footage?

Ridiculous that he’s even been reported. From the video footage, it’s a simple football accident, with no intent from the looks of it. With the tribunals record, he’ll be lucky to play this week, even with evidence in his favour.

Have you seen the footage?

Ridiculous that he’s even been reported. From the video footage, it’s a simple football accident, with no intent from the looks of it. With the tribunals record, he’ll be lucky to play this week, even with evidence in his favour.

Yep seen the footage.

We all know that nowadays the result or injury to the other player is a major factor even if things seem accidental

Yep seen the footage.

We all know that nowadays the result or injury to the other player is a major factor even if things seem accidental

It seemed more like the gisborne player has ran into him. No raised elbows, both hands on the footy, and from the video, may not have even seen him.
And as stated in an earlier post, not one player demonstrates which gives you an indication of the actions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tardrew free to play
Bill Hader Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

Change of topic.

I intensively dislike the rule that the player standing the mark cannot move one inch either side until the umpire calls play on or it is a fifty metre penalty. It gives the guy with the ball the opportunity to play on as he likes. I much preferred the previously rule that allowed the player on the mark to immediately move to his side if the player with the ball plays on. (No waiting for the umpire to call play on). To me 50 metre penalties should be limited to situations where the player with the ball is treated unfairly. (Say dumped after taking a mark). Now if the player on the mark takes one step to the side before the umpire calls play on it is a 50 metre penalty. Makes a complete mockery of the purpose of standing on the mark.

I would also like to return the rule where the player kicking out after a behind can not go past the goal square marked white line. Now the defender can run where he likes while once again the forward has to stand like his boots are in concrete or again give away a 50 metre penalty.

What do others think?

Change of topic.

I intensively dislike the rule that the player standing the mark cannot move one inch either side until the umpire calls play on or it is a fifty metre penalty. It gives the guy with the ball the opportunity to play on as he likes. I much preferred the previously rule that allowed the player on the mark to immediately move to his side if the player with the ball plays on. (No waiting for the umpire to call play on). To me 50 metre penalties should be limited to situations where the player with the ball is treated unfairly. (Say dumped after taking a mark). Now if the player on the mark takes one step to the side before the umpire calls play on it is a 50 metre penalty. Makes a complete mockery of the purpose of standing on the mark.

I would also like to return the rule where the player kicking out after a behind can not go past the goal square marked white line. Now the defender can run where he likes while once again the forward has to stand like his boots are in concrete or again give away a 50 metre penalty.

What do others think?
The stand rule effectively makes it an 18 v 17 game, allowing a 2v1 and an easy possession for the team with the ball. It was supposed to improve scoring but I'm not sure that has been the outcome.

The stand rule effectively makes it an 18 v 17 game, allowing a 2v1 and an easy possession for the team with the ball. It was supposed to improve scoring but I'm not sure that has been the outcome.
It should but policing it has changed - umpires now allow players to move if they think the player in possession has moved off the line and most teams move back 5m effectively becoming a member of a press/zone. Maybe that shouldn't be allowed?

I have found a lot of sides take up the GWS model of retreating off the mark 5m to stop the 2v1 possession. Particularly in the back 50-70m position prevent teams getting that overlap handball and slingshotting the ball forward from half back. Unsure what the numbers say in regard to improving scoring but standing the mark definitely opens the game up offensively.

The problem is that the player with the ball is clearly moving off the line of the mark, the player standing on the mark can see it, and moans at the umpire, but the field umpire is in a position side on, as they are coached to be, and can’t see it, so the play on call is delayed.

Four umpire system should allow an umpire to be in a position to call play on promptly. The 3 or 2 umpires we get in local footy need to be able to see the next phase of play, plus some of the umpires we get are not exactly the most mobile anyway and need to take “shortcuts” in order to be as effective as they can.

Stand rule is irrelevant for community football. Enforced at local level by the AFL so the game at all levels looks similar to the TV League.
Adds no value to community football and brings another complexity to umpiring.
Differing skill levels, fitness standards and coaching approaches mean that introducing it to country football was never required. The perceived benefit of a moment of 18 vs 17 at TV League level is debatable. It was never called for or necessary at bush level where outnumbers and mismatches occur naturally.

Change of topic.

What do others think?

I don’t mind either rule at AFL level, not keen on stand for our level but I don’t think the stand rule is ever enforced in our games anyway.

The kick in I don’t see as a bad thing. Very easy to press into the defensive fifty and make it very hard to clear it, the longer kick in opens the wider part of the ground so it can’t be shut down. Gets the ball moving a bit better, some of those wet days we’ve had would have been played in one 50 arc without it.

The stand rule isn’t mandatory for community footy, it’s up to each league whether they implement into their own rules. I watched a Kyneton game earlier in the year and the Riddell league don’t use it. That said I like the rule in principle, though umps need to be quicker to call play on once a player is off his line.

The stand rule isn’t mandatory for community footy, it’s up to each league whether they implement into their own rules. I watched a Kyneton game earlier in the year and the Riddell league don’t use it. That said I like the rule in principle, though umps need to be quicker to call play on once a player is off his line.

Many players and supporters tend to think that all the AFL laws apply to their level. I can’t speak for Bendigo League here, but others I witness will have players and/or supporters appealing for insufficient intent or deliberate rushed behinds, neither of which apply in the other leagues I’m at.
I quite like the stand rule as a concept, just needs to be better coaching for the umpires to call play on faster when there’s a lateral movement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back