Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I watch a fair bit of Bendigo FL from afar and after watching the replay of the Sandhurst v Gisborne final last weekend I came to the conclusion that Sandhurst must make changes to their line-up this week or tick that box of doing the same thing and hoping for a different outcome. They made the mistake last year of picking the wrong guys - perhaps out of loyalty - and are risking it again. Palpratt ( been a good player ) is past it and expends a lot of energy sprinting to contests and having no impact - Ireland down back jumps in the air to tackle and spends a lot of time on the ground and hence looses his ability to defend, Nally looks lost and not up to it and Mclean and Connick ( has improved a lot this year) miss hitting targets when under pressure by foot consistently. The first 3 mentioned should go out and bring back Mills ( should never have been dropped), Pinniger ( kicking is long and accurate ) & Keating ( kicking is good). There can be an argument that the last 2 ins mentioned are light bodied but it was the contribution of the smaller light bodied Gisborne players, alongside their A graders in Bernacki, Blake etc, that caused big issues for Sandhurst last week.

Maybe watch the incident and how tardrew plays, he's a ball player

To quote your own words - '... the tribunal isn’t corrupt, just hopeless.'

Don’t get me wrong, I was 25m away from the incident and didn’t even know it happened, like 99% of people at the ground I’d guess. Personally I don’t think it deserved any sanction.

But for the tribunal chairman to say ‘be careful next time’ and ‘don’t come back here’ means he thought differently and that means he gave him a free pass.

I don’t subscribe to the theory it’s a Sandhurst thing, it’s just usual finals leniency, but it’s a bloody stupid thing to say and gives the game away. Probably wouldn’t be thrilled about that if you are watching a flag with a broken jaw.

Surely not.

I think you can grab a black texta and start putting a line through the whole idea. Mid-September and still chasing a coach when clubs have been reappointing or appointing them for 2025 since middle of the year. No player announcements to kick start any momentum for others to jump aboard. Another thought. Would the BFNL be prepared to let them in without seniors?
I am not promoting this just making an observation. The precedent has been set with Kyneton.

Could there actually be two clubs in 2025 without a senior team being Broadford and Maryborough. Maryborough to keep them alive if they have no where else to go with the idea of regrouping like Kyneton did and Broadford not starting of in the deep end but expected to get and the park at other levels and then have a senior team in 2026.

I reiterate I am not promoting this. My own opinion is whether it is in the rules or not I think the clubs should decide whether Broadford comes in and it would have to be an overwhelming majority including Gisborne wanting them. As I have said previously keeping Gisborne in the league is vital and if they don't want Broadford forget it.

I watch a fair bit of Bendigo FL from afar and after watching the replay of the Sandhurst v Gisborne final last weekend I came to the conclusion that Sandhurst must make changes to their line-up this week or tick that box of doing the same thing and hoping for a different outcome. They made the mistake last year of picking the wrong guys - perhaps out of loyalty - and are risking it again. Palpratt ( been a good player ) is past it and expends a lot of energy sprinting to contests and having no impact - Ireland down back jumps in the air to tackle and spends a lot of time on the ground and hence looses his ability to defend, Nally looks lost and not up to it and Mclean and Connick ( has improved a lot this year) miss hitting targets when under pressure by foot consistently. The first 3 mentioned should go out and bring back Mills ( should never have been dropped), Pinniger ( kicking is long and accurate ) & Keating ( kicking is good). There can be an argument that the last 2 ins mentioned are light bodied but it was the contribution of the smaller light bodied Gisborne players, alongside their A graders in Bernacki, Blake etc, that caused big issues for Sandhurst last week.
How would you like pallpratt to go into a contest? Walk, crawl? Ireland's been a pretty solid defender .

You don't lose one game and start jumping at shadows and make a heap of changes, I'd be backing them in to turn it around

I am not promoting this just making an observation. The precedent has been set with Kyneton.

Could there actually be two clubs in 2025 without a senior team being Broadford and Maryborough. Maryborough to keep them alive if they have no where else to go with the idea of regrouping like Kyneton did and Broadford not starting of in the deep end but expected to get and the park at other levels and then have a senior team in 2026.

I reiterate I am not promoting this. My own opinion is whether it is in the rules or not I think the clubs should decide whether Broadford comes in and it would have to be an overwhelming majority including Gisborne wanting them. As I have said previously keeping Gisborne in the league is vital and if they don't want Broadford forget it.
Kyneton were already in the league, so it helped them keep players and find senior footballers. Maryborough can't play with under 20 players in the bfl. Afl vic need to help them play footy in a league.

Sounds like broadford have a coach and money. Probably goes as the dumbest decision ever in country footy. Heads should roll when this goes arse up in 2 years. They'll have ruined a club in broadford and stuffed bendigo footy

Difference there is Kyneton were a much respected part of the league who consistently boosted every clubs coffers for a long time. Playing without seniors allowed them to keep money flowing in and tackle debts. We were all happy to help.

I’d suspect if you asked a club like mine to haul the twos and 18s to Broadford to play a game on a bye week the response will be short and direct.

Difference there is Kyneton were a much respected part of the league who consistently boosted every clubs coffers for a long time. Playing without seniors allowed them to keep money flowing in and tackle debts. We were all happy to help.

I’d suspect if you asked a club like mine to haul the twos and 18s to Broadford to play a game on a bye week the response will be short and direct.
Which means if the clubs don't want them the answer has to be no.

The old watch from afar isn't a great cover story!

Clubs have no say.

Clubs have to vote if a club wants to come in, but if the club is in recess the AFL have sole decision making right.

Convenient, huh?
Should clubs have a big say? I'd say in this case yes, due to broadfords location, so out of the way. As I said there should be criteria clubs need to meet to go into a new league, then it should be heard by an independent board on why and they make a call. We'll just lose footy clubs the way it's currently done and lose people playing, people supporting and community involvement. Should be out of clubs hands

Kyneton were already in the league, so it helped them keep players and find senior footballers. Maryborough can't play with under 20 players in the bfl. Afl vic need to help them play footy in a league.

Sounds like broadford have a coach and money. Probably goes as the dumbest decision ever in country footy. Heads should roll when this goes arse up in 2 years. They'll have ruined a club in broadford and stuffed bendigo footy
Bendigo footy is pretty much stuffed already anyway

Clubs have no say.

Clubs have to vote if a club wants to come in, but if the club is in recess the AFL have sole decision making right.

Convenient, huh?
What sense does that make?

We have seen clubs really keen to move to local leagues and get blocked by the existing clubs voting against it, but Broadford could come in the BFNL even if every club was against it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The old watch from afar isn't a great cover story!
To be fair Arnold, living interstate, I watch Sandhurst on live stream and when you get the radio coverage with it you get a pretty reasonable picture. You would have to watch them regularly though. It is not a bad final series so far. The top half of the BFNL is in pretty good health - been quite some time since there was a really one-sided final. I predict tomorrow will be close.

How would you like pallpratt to go into a contest? Walk, crawl? Ireland's been a pretty solid defender .

You don't lose one game and start jumping at shadows and make a heap of changes, I'd be backing them in to turn it around
The main point was Trent - whichever mode of transport - he is past it. This isn’t a reaction from one game. History isn’t kind to them in finals in recent years and the failure to change approach with selection has caught them out before

Should clubs have a big say? I'd say in this case yes, due to broadfords location, so out of the way. As I said there should be criteria clubs need to meet to go into a new league, then it should be heard by an independent board on why and they make a call. We'll just lose footy clubs the way it's currently done and lose people playing, people supporting and community involvement. Should be out of clubs hands

I repeat - The clubs in Bendigo have ZERO say - it is a dictatorship

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back