Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

It makes more sense than broadford. And it creates a rivalry with gisborne straight away. Gisborne are the bfl

That’s not a high bar, everything makes more sense than Broadford!

It actually would have been the absolute final nail in the coffin for Gisborne going to Ballarat. It’s going to be a very interesting watch for the next few years on the Bulldogs. They’ve had it relatively easy for a long time and now they have a shiny new competitor for players, with magnificent facilities, less travel, more local interest and opposition supporters who will turn up. We might be about to see another ‘great club’ myth busted.

That’s not a high bar, everything makes more sense than Broadford!

It actually would have been the absolute final nail in the coffin for Gisborne going to Ballarat. It’s going to be a very interesting watch for the next few years on the Bulldogs. They’ve had it relatively easy for a long time and now they have a shiny new competitor for players, with magnificent facilities, less travel, more local interest and opposition supporters who will turn up. We might be about to see another ‘great club’ myth busted.
Riddells Creek Romsey Lancefield macedon the Sunbury teams darley and marsh all take gisborne players, can't see it hurting them too much as that area really grows with young families

Riddells Creek Romsey Lancefield macedon the Sunbury teams darley and marsh all take gisborne players, can't see it hurting them too much as that area really grows with young families

With Melton South leaving Ballarat for Riddell there is a place available for Gisborne. My mail is that a move is now higher on the agenda for the club as a result of this, the loss of Kyneton and the pie in the sky thought bubble with Broadford. From my club’s perspective we don’t want to see Gisborne leave as they are a great club. The loss of them would perhaps be the death knell for our league. It would hopefully be a wake up call for how the league is travelling and how certain people are way out of touch with how things are travelling for many existing member clubs including mine.

I think it’s likely a swap may occur for season 2025. The appeal of local derbies with Sunbury, Melton and the Bacchus Marsh clubs are very appealing and would certainly be a cash cow which was lost when Kyneton departed.

With Melton South leaving Ballarat for Riddell there is a place available for Gisborne. My mail is that a move is now higher on the agenda for the club as a result is this, the loss of Kyneton and the pie in the sky thought bubble with Broadford. From my club’s perspective we don’t want to see Gisborne leave as they are a great club. The loss of them would perhaps be the death knell for our league. It would hopefully be a wake up call for how the league is travelling and how certain people are way out of touch with how things are travelling for many existing member clubs including mine.

I think it’s likely a swap may occur for season 2025.

Headquarters will be happy

Looks like sandhurst in almost all GFs

Gate will be terrible next week - 14 slags supporters won’t pay the bills

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Headquarters will be happy

Looks like sandhurst in almost all GFs

Gate will be terrible next week - 14 slags supporters won’t pay the bills

The crowds haven’t appeared to be great regardless of Sandhurst. From a Maryborough perspective there was lots of interest in our netballers but little about the football side. The predictability of the league with the same clubs year after year has impacted greatly on the level of interest in the league.

Broadford is going to make things so much better….

The crowds haven’t appeared to be great regardless of Sandhurst.

Ordinary today but to be expected with the weather and other grand finals around.

Don’t know why the league didn’t play the Sunday this week, a day less break for a team is nothing and the crowd would have been much better.

On the field Sandhurst got there in the end but absolutely unimpressive. For whatever reason they have dropped away massively in the last few weeks. Unfortunately I can’t see them beating Gisborne in any conditions.

Ordinary today but to be expected with the weather and other grand finals around.

Don’t know why the league didn’t play the Sunday this week, a day less break for a team is nothing and the crowd would have been much better.

On the field Sandhurst got there in the end but absolutely unimpressive. For whatever reason they have dropped away massively in the last few weeks. Unfortunately I can’t see them beating Gisborne in any conditions.
They had a couple out didn't they, their Ruckman and Curnow?

With Melton South leaving Ballarat for Riddell there is a place available for Gisborne. My mail is that a move is now higher on the agenda for the club as a result of this, the loss of Kyneton and the pie in the sky thought bubble with Broadford. From my club’s perspective we don’t want to see Gisborne leave as they are a great club. The loss of them would perhaps be the death knell for our league. It would hopefully be a wake up call for how the league is travelling and how certain people are way out of touch with how things are travelling for many existing member clubs including mine.

I think it’s likely a swap may occur for season 2025. The appeal of local derbies with Sunbury, Melton and the Bacchus Marsh clubs are very appealing and would certainly be a cash cow which was lost when Kyneton departed.
hearing similar local. even the consideration of the broadford thing let alone no club vote allowed on the topic has a number of gisborne folk questioning what the end goal up that way is.

With almost all gisborne teams playing next week I see it could be a nice way to end their bendigo league association. replace Melton south get better gates and closer rivalry and in a year or two the community will be ok with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess if you get there Forest you give yourself a chance. I personally will come from QLD living in hope like all good club supporters do.

On the football side of things only having two clubs represented over three games won't help the crowds but last years grand final crowd was pretty good so let us see.

I don't agree with you on lots of stuff, but couldn't agree more about playing on a Sunday for better crowds. The Ovens & Murray and Goulburn Valley Leagues are both playing their prelim's today and will attract big crowds. The BFNL suffers from an uneven competition which is not easy to overcome as we have been discussing all year, but shows very little initiative re Sunday football again going up against other grand finals yesterday. We also witnessed this at the start of the year where once again the Goulburn Valley & Ovens & Murray Goulburn Valley leagues were attracting bumper crowds over Easter (over 10,000 in the O&M) while the BFNL sat in complete hibernation after the opening Castlemaine v Maryborough game was well attended. The interest was there - an opportunity gone begging.

On a positive note this has been a very good finals series. All games have been pretty close. I hope it is close again next week.

Go Dragons.

Couldn't agree more, nothing on in Bendigo today and no AFL.

They are in….its up to them now to field teams…that’s where the doubt lays

No they will be fine I’ve heard. If one of their kids need a jaw re-wired after a head high collision then the board have agreed to downgrade it to a zero week suspension ! But only if the offending team is Sandhurst. Any other team they need to set a precedent and give them 4 weeks min

I guess if you get there Forest you give yourself a chance. I personally will come from QLD living in hope like all good club supporters do.

On the football side of things only having two clubs represented over three games won't help the crowds but last years grand final crowd was pretty good so let us see.

I don't agree with you on lots of stuff, but couldn't agree more about playing on a Sunday for better crowds. The Ovens & Murray and Goulburn Valley Leagues are both playing their prelim's today and will attract big crowds. The BFNL suffers from an uneven competition which is not easy to overcome as we have been discussing all year, but shows very little initiative re Sunday football again going up against other grand finals yesterday. We also witnessed this at the start of the year where once again the Goulburn Valley & Ovens & Murray Goulburn Valley leagues were attracting bumper crowds over Easter (over 10,000 in the O&M) while the BFNL sat in complete hibernation after the opening Castlemaine v Maryborough game was well attended. The interest was there - an opportunity gone begging.

On a positive note this has been a very good finals series. All games have been pretty close. I hope it is close again next week.

Go Dragons.

The BFNL have lots of initiative AlburyE as seen by the Broadford situation… 😃

What an embarrassment our once proud league has become in so many ways. So many missed opportunities with little foresight and not trying different initiatives to get interest back into football in the region.

On a positive note congratulations to our Maryborough FNC under 14 team who won the premiership. What a great effort by all involved. Kudos also to our netballers for their efforts in the finals series. They did our club proud.. it was great to see all our teams so well supported in recent weeks despite the year we have experienced. The way we have stuck together this year has been second to none. Our future has not been confirmed as yet but rest assured I think we will be around in 2025. Where I cannot confirm as yet.

Good luck to those teams next week. Let’s hope for a close contest. I think Gisborne will take home the premiership.

Last edited:
Our future has not been confirmed as yet but rest assured I think we will be around in 2025. Where I cannot confirm as yet.

There’s word about that a merge with Giants may still happen down the track lfg, with Cody Perry to coach them this year while Maryborough goes into recess. Then merge for 2026. Not the case?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back