Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s word about that a merge with Giants may still happen down the track lfg, with Cody Perry to coach them this year while Maryborough goes into recess. Then merge for 2026. Not the case?
I won't be making any statement yet Forest St End as things are still progressing. Let's say this idea has been discussed. The Giants merge has gone ok and building on it is an option. As for Coby coaching the club in 2025 I am not aware of it this time. We have had many conversations with Coby about his future. He is a terrific person and coach and I cannot speak highly enough of him.

I won't be making any statement yet Forest St End as things are still progressing. Let's say this idea has been discussed. The Giants merge has gone ok and building on it is an option. As for Coby coaching the club in 2025 I am not aware of it this time. We have had many conversations with Coby about his future. He is a terrific person and coach and I cannot speak highly enough of him.

Thanks lfg, appreciate you can’t say more at this point.

Word at the footy Saturday was Perry to coach the Giants as a way of keeping the current Maryborough players together at one club which would be a very smart approach I think.

In other news, I reckon Flynn Lakey is entitled to be a bit dirty today. 49 touches not getting a vote would be a pretty rare thing.

Word at the footy Saturday was Perry to coach the Giants as a way of keeping the current Maryborough players together at one club which would be a very smart approach I think.

In other news, I reckon Flynn Lakey is entitled to be a bit dirty today. 49 touches not getting a vote would be a pretty rare thing.
Flynn is an absolute gun. Just like his old man! Good family.

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Chris' son?

Absolutely he'd be a bit dirty. Some ridiculous voting popped up. Did a Maryborough player gets 3 votes v Strath?

Absolutely he'd be a bit dirty. Some ridiculous voting popped up. Did a Maryborough player gets 3 votes v Strath?
Indeed, Lanfranchi did get three votes. I get the criticism since it was a 226-point win to Strath, probably fair enough too. Agree that it shouldn't be three votes in a game like that.

But on another note it's nice to see Lanfranchi get some form of recognition, I don't think it's fair that he gets written off by the Bendigo Addy for example that "the ball is in the defense a lot, take his intercept stats with a grain of salt" that kind of BS is just box score watching IMO, intercept marking still an art and he does it well!

Indeed, Lanfranchi did get three votes. I get the criticism since it was a 226-point win to Strath, probably fair enough too. Agree that it shouldn't be three votes in a game like that.

But on another note it's nice to see Lanfranchi get some form of recognition, I don't think it's fair that he gets written off by the Bendigo Addy for example that "the ball is in the defense a lot, take his intercept stats with a grain of salt" that kind of BS is just box score watching IMO, intercept marking still an art and he does it well!
Polled four votes in two games against Strath. Seems he understands Strath's ball movement pretty well.

Bloody good player. No issue there. Hard to see that the most influencial player on the ground can be on the losing team by 226.

There’s word about that a merge with Giants may still happen down the track lfg, with Cody Perry to coach them this year while Maryborough goes into recess. Then merge for 2026. Not the case?
One thing I can’t fathom is how a town the size of Maryborough has potentially gone from 3 clubs last season (2023) to only 1? Where are they all going?

One thing I can’t fathom is how a town the size of Maryborough has potentially gone from 3 clubs last season (2023) to only 1? Where are they all going?
I think you will find that Maryborough's unemployment rate is high. Young people are leaving for opportunities elsewhere and not returning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve previously posted population data that shows Maryborough has many less young people than somewhere like Strathfieldsaye. I saw on the news recently that it was being pushed as a retirement town.

Castlemaine is the same, not so long ago we had our own junior league with three Castlemaine clubs and the MCDFL sides. Now we field one side in each age group of the BJFL and that is sometimes a stretch.

Compounding that, kids are not playing sport and not playing football. Juniors across the board are well down, the junior team sports of choice now are soccer and basketball.

I firmly believe if you jump forward a decade or so there will be at least a 30% reduction in the number of clubs we have now.

that game Lanfranchi polled 3 in against Strath was a bit ridiculous his opponent kicked 11 on him. Don’t get me wrong Lanfranchi is a good player and does well considering the circumstances and he does deserve more recognition for what he does in that team and I’m sure he adds a heap to his club but you can’t poll 3 when you lose by 226 and you opponent kicks 11. His 1 vote in the second game was well deserved and nearly could have got 2 he was very good.

Will either club be adding Coates League talent to their line-ups for the Grand Final? What is the word on the street
I wouldn’t think so. Sandhurst could andd Ollie Hanaford I think his name is or something like that playing for Murray Bushrangers, can’t see Travaglia playing due to the fact he will be drafted same for Day-Wicks. I don’t know anything about Gisbornes Calder players but I don’t know if you change that side besides Clough unfortunately missing out

The BFNL have lots of initiative AlburyE as seen by the Broadford situation… 😃

What an embarrassment our once proud league has become in so many ways. So many missed opportunities with little foresight and not trying different initiatives to get interest back into football in the region.

On a positive note congratulations to our Maryborough FNC under 14 team who won the premiership. What a great effort by all involved. Kudos also to our netballers for their efforts in the finals series. They did our club proud.. it was great to see all our teams so well supported in recent weeks despite the year we have experienced. The way we have stuck together this year has been second to none. Our future has not been confirmed as yet but rest assured I think we will be around in 2025. Where I cannot confirm as yet.

Good luck to those teams next week. Let’s hope for a close contest. I think Gisborne will take home the premiership.
It was good to see some of the country clubs like Rochester, who were well supported in the 16s, do so well. Bit of a longer drive for Maryborough parents but Strath was very busy yesterday.
I’ve previously posted population data that shows Maryborough has many less young people than somewhere like Strathfieldsaye. I saw on the news recently that it was being pushed as a retirement town.

Castlemaine is the same, not so long ago we had our own junior league with three Castlemaine clubs and the MCDFL sides. Now we field one side in each age group of the BJFL and that is sometimes a stretch.

Compounding that, kids are not playing sport and not playing football. Juniors across the board are well down, the junior team sports of choice now are soccer and basketball.

I firmly believe if you jump forward a decade or so there will be at least a 30% reduction in the number of clubs we have now.
Probably a factor of changing demographics and less cohesiveness in county communities as well, I'd imagine. If you are parent reading about concussions playing footy every week or even if think back to what happened with Dallas last year which happened so innocuously, you might think you'd want your kids playing something else.

I wouldn’t think so. Sandhurst could andd Ollie Hanaford I think his name is or something like that playing for Murray Bushrangers, can’t see Travaglia playing due to the fact he will be drafted same for Day-Wicks. I don’t know anything about Gisbornes Calder players but I don’t know if you change that side besides Clough unfortunately missing out
Think Gisborne only has 1 Calder player who is a ruck. Hasn’t played a senior game so wouldn’t expect him to come in

Sandhurst have Curnow and Sexton to come back in already…can’t see them making many more changes than that

The reasons have been stated here numerous times which include,
  • young people leave town for work and study opportunities.
  • attracting people to town isn’t easy due to limited employment opportunities. There is a lot of work but not necessarily what society wants.
  • the town is an aging community with a older demographic and not a lot of young families
  • the town has been promoted as a place to retire due to cheaper property prices. This has been very successful and seen the population grow but with older people arriving, not younger families. From a club perspective we have seen growth in the number of volunteers which has been terrific due to the older demographic moving to town.
  • with the new hospital and growth in medical facilities and improved business opportunities the town is going really well and is certainly vibrant. We just need more opportunities for younger ones to stay or return after studying.
  • football clubs around our region are all in the same boat and recruiting far and wide to fill their respective teams. Maryborough as a town was the hub for recruiting but now it’s places like Bendigo, Ballarat, Geelong and Melbourne and even much further away.

Sandhurst have Curnow and Sexton to come back in already…can’t see them making many more changes than that
Dayten Uerate has been playing the last couple of weeks since the Pioneers were eliminated and has been a good player for them. The only other player who would have been eligible (by playing two senior games during the season) is Ollie Hannaford who plays for the GWV Rebels and that team is in the grand final next Saturday hence he is unavailable for the Dragon who I am sure would have loved to include him.

You can say what you like about clubs like Sandhurst, Strath & Golden Square having some corrupt link to the Pioneers, (not to mention the tribunal and god knows what else), but if Sandhurst were able to select Travaglia, Day-Wicks & Hannaford their chances of winning the flag would go through the roof.

Why it is supposed to be an advantage having your players on the Pioneers list is a mystery to me.

The reasons have been stated here numerous times which include,
  • young people leave town for work and study opportunities.
  • attracting people to town isn’t easy due to limited employment opportunities. There is a lot of work but not necessarily what society wants.
  • the town is an aging community with a older demographic and not a lot of young families
  • the town has been promoted as a place to retire due to cheaper property prices. This has been very successful and seen the population grow but with older people arriving, not younger families. From a club perspective we have seen growth in the number of volunteers which has been terrific due to the older demographic moving to town.
  • with the new hospital and growth in medical facilities and improved business opportunities the town is going really well and is certainly vibrant. We just need more opportunities for younger ones to stay or return after studying.
  • football clubs around our region are all in the same boat and recruiting far and wide to fill their respective teams. Maryborough as a town was the hub for recruiting but now it’s places like Bendigo, Ballarat, Geelong and Melbourne and even much further away.
How did you get bond, sumner and tranter back in the 90s. More jobs back than guru at the print factory?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back